Author Topic: Everyone's gone missing again!!!!!  (Read 9202 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Everyone's gone missing again!!!!!
« on: September 04, 2008, 12:30:13 PM »
Hey people.
What have you been doing this "summer".
Smiffy, Bel, Brenda, Iris, Snowdrop, Dickie, Christine and anyone else I've missed.

Have you got over your euphoria of winning more medals than us at the Olympics?  I suppose the Queen will have to give them all honours.  If we did that everyone would have an honour.

Have you had holidays?  Where do the brits go nowdays? We haven't been yet, Pete wants to go to Bali - Why you ask?  That's what I'd like to know also.  But he moans that he doesn't get a choice, so I will have to grin and bear it.
So I have to start looking for a place thats quiet and 11 star. For those in the UK, Bali is like Benidorm!!!!!!!!
We are well, my miracle dog is still running around like a puppy - costing me a fortune in pills and injections - but what the heck!
Looking forward to summer. The heat, the flies, the bush fires, hoping the tanks hold out.  Oh Bliss.
We here in the west have an election this weekend.  We have a federal government and state governments - what a waste of money. 
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Everyone's gone missing again!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 04:21:50 AM »
It's happened again!  Just as I came on to say 'Where is everyone?' I find you've beaten me to it, Pauline.

Actually, we did have shocking computer problems for a couple of weeks. It was a nightmare but we are up and running again, thank goodness.  I'm afraid we have become very spoiled, haven't we?

I hope  you enjoy Bali, Pauline.  No, I haven't been and from what I've seen on the telly, I wouldn't want to.  However, I am sure if you can get away from the tacky, touristy areas, it's undoubtedly beautiful and probably worth seeing.

So glad to hear doggy is doing so well.

One of ours has developed a front foot problem. As she has severe hindleg problems, surgery on the front does not seem a viable option. However, despite the increasing deformity, she does not appear to be in any discomfort at all so it's just a case of wait and see and hope she manages for a good while yet.

I can't believe it's spring already and that soon it will be the danger season.  It just seems five minutes ago I was breathing with relief that 'it' was over.  Still, this year we will be going into the hot season with more water than we've seen for years.  The creek is running for the first time for a long time.  No doubt that will please the long wigglies, if not me.

Hope you are all well.

Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 04:25:20 AM »
'Allo Pauline  Still around, yes those limeys did well at the Olympics did'nt they blimey what ever next.  No holidays this year Pam did not feel like going away, anycase She has to go to the Hospital every three weeks too see Her doctor and have treatment.  We are heading for the Fall or otherwise known as Autumn, so it is getting cooler, although we had a lot of rain this Summer, those Hurricanes that hit the Islands & the States affect us a little so some minor storms are on the way.  Here in Canada we have two governments, one Federal one Provincial, we have a governor general who represents the Queen, thats good cause I'm a royalist, we do not want a president, the priminister is good enough, although the politicians are much to be desired.  Well thats all. By the way I went down the paper shop the other day, but it was not there it had blown away ;D  ::)
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:30:33 AM »
 Here in Canada we have two governments, one Federal one Provincial, we have a governor general who represents the Queen, thats good cause I'm a royalist, we do not want a president, the priminister is good enough, although the politicians are much to be desired.  away ;D  ::)

You have the same set up as us.  We have a Governor General to represent the Queen, each state also has a Governor - not sure what they represent.  Australia - I believe wanted to become a republic, but the model that Johnny Howard presented wasn't acceptable, so it got the NO vote.

Its been a really wet winter, our tanks are bursting at the seams.  Yoday it is 23deg and sunny, it was good to sit outside in my lunch break.  I won't be able to do that when it gets really hot.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 06:00:11 PM »
Really enjoyed the Olympics, and I'm thrilled that it will be in London next time round

We had a good week in Crete last week, escaping the English "summer" - back now to rain lashing the country as usual...!

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 02:26:44 AM »
Really enjoyed the Olympics, and I'm thrilled that it will be in London next time round

We had a good week in Crete last week, escaping the English "summer" - back now to rain lashing the country as usual...!

Friends (Who live in Essex - Poor things) have just returned from a Mediterranean cruise, and said that the weather was cloudy for all the cruise.  She tells me that they are sick of all the rain, and that having just returned from holiday, she has suitcases full of clothes to wash that won't dry.  They have spent the past three English Winters with us in Perth, and were thinking of not coming this winter because of the exchange rate, but she tells me they are now thinking of coming, just to get some Vitamin D.

I work in the library of the University, and I look out of my window as I type this at the blossom on the trees, the flowers beginning to bloom and a blue sky without a cloud, the temperature is still chilly - about 17 deg, but it will warm up to 22deg I am told.

I remember my Dad had apple trees (A Bramley - which we cannot get here) and a Cox's Orange Pippin (Not seen them here either) he also had a Conference Pear tree.  He had so many dahlias and those beautiful chrysanthemums that Brenda and I lust after.  As a child I remember chickens at the bottom of the garden.

We do get more rain than than UK, but we get it all in one go in the winter, and then suffer from the lack of it all summer.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 11:30:37 AM »
Pauling - thanks for chivvying us up - still present and correct but have had busy few weeks looking after daughter through a very difficult period healthwise - not to mention a week in the north of France where, guess what, we didn't see the sun until we got back to the UK on the 29th and had a glorious day on the 30th. At least half the summer clothes came back (again) unused and could be stashed away in the wardrobe until next year. Then, of course, it was downhill all the way and we are now enjoying what should be an Indian summer (as predicted by the experts but think it was just a ruse to keep us going through August) but, of course, it is still raining............  Not to worry - going to spend a week in Cornwall in the middle of October with said daughter, son-in-law and baby - bound to be nice!  Hope all are well, and yes, didn't we do well in the Olympics - sad to say that unlike our cyclists and sailors I have never learned to ride a bike (at least one with two wheels - somebody out there might have seen me struggling as a child in Downham with a three wheeler in Woodbank Road) or sail a boat.  As for athletics - think I was a pretty mean egg & spooner.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 12:56:19 AM »
Sorry to hear Vicky hasn't been crash hot, Chris. (Did you receive my recent email?) Do hope you have a wonderful holiday in Cornwall in October. 

Three wheelers?  I remember going over the handlebars of mine.  Can't imagine how I managed that.  Perhaps that's why my mother got rid of it.   I did a lot of cycling when I was a teenager but usually had to get off and push when it came to the steep hills.  Never was athletic.

Pauline, we have a young Cox's Orange Pippin apple tree (had 3 apples last year which the birds stole).  My husband knows someone who cultivates the old apple varieties.  He might know if Bramley's are available through a nurseryman out your way. I will try to remember to ask.   I'm not sure what our pear tree is.  If it isn't a Conference, it's as near as dammit. 

Am busy dividing the chrysanthemums at the moment.  Found a rabbit in the garden last night so must find the hole in the fence or I won't have a garden at all.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 02:19:59 AM »
Three wheelers?  I remember going over the handlebars of mine.  Can't imagine how I managed that.  Perhaps that's why my mother got rid of it.   I did a lot of cycling when I was a teenager but usually had to get off and push when it came to the steep hills.  Never was athletic.

Pauline, we have a young Cox's Orange Pippin apple tree (had 3 apples last year which the birds stole).  My husband knows someone who cultivates the old apple varieties.  He might know if Bramley's are available through a nurseryman out your way. I will try to remember to ask.   I'm not sure what our pear tree is.  If it isn't a Conference, it's as near as dammit. 

Am busy dividing the chrysanthemums at the moment.  Found a rabbit in the garden last night so must find the hole in the fence or I won't have a garden at all.

I never had a bike, couldn't afford one.  Besides which my sister had a 3 wheeler, and sped so fast down Galahad Road she nearly went under a tram on Downham Way.  My children had bikes, and it was a source of amusement to them to see me try to ride.  I still can't.

The problem with WA is that we cannot import any plants from other states.  I did bring in some orchids from FNQ, but they had to be sent from the orchid farm through customs.  My black thumbs eventually killed them off.  I would dearly love to get my hands on some Bramleys, and have baked apple again with lots of sugar and syrup (very healthy). I am hoping the peaches and apricots do better this year.  I had an apricot vine when we lived on Sheppey, and some years we had so many that my neighbour would make jam and we would divide the results. It was also a means of escape for my son because it climbed up the outside wall of his bedroom.  My heart would be in my mouth.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 07:45:17 AM »
Re: importing plants to WA.  Not even through bona fide nurseries Pauline?  I know there are very strict regulations and that's fair enough. I'd like to import more chrysanthemums from other states but that's very strictly regulated too.  I think the nursery folk can do it as long as the plants are quarantined etc but people like me can't get them over the borders.  Indeed, I wouldn't even try.  Gosh, I'd hate to be responsible for killing off the chrysanthemum industry down here.

I've been dividing my plants again today.  Blinking warm - far too warm - for gardening and everything is wilting.  Might be back to saving the bath and washing water again soon.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 12:47:01 AM »

Mike          Noticed your post, hope you had a good time. The only exotic place I went to was Spain a few times.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 03:00:25 AM »
Re: importing plants to WA.  Not even through bona fide nurseries Pauline?  I know there are very strict regulations and that's fair enough. I'd like to import more chrysanthemums from other states but that's very strictly regulated too.  I think the nursery folk can do it as long as the plants are quarantined etc but people like me can't get them over the borders.  Indeed, I wouldn't even try.  Gosh, I'd hate to be responsible for killing off the chrysanthemum industry down here.

I've been dividing my plants again today.  Blinking warm - far too warm - for gardening and everything is wilting.  Might be back to saving the bath and washing water again soon.

I did enquire about Pomegranates (sorry if that's spelt wrong, I can't get the spell checker to work) - in fact there is a place in the South West (Margaret River region) but the cost was prohibitive.  I would imagine that would be the case with anything.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 02:48:48 AM »

I did enquire about Pomegranates (sorry if that's spelt wrong, I can't get the spell checker to work) - in fact there is a place in the South West (Margaret River region) but the cost was prohibitive.  I would imagine that would be the case with anything.

I was so pleased at the weekend, I've got apricots on my tree. It didn't produce any fruit last year or the year before, beautiful leaves, but no fruit.  So I had a gentle talk to it.  Last weekend I went out to have another word with it, only to discover a whole load of fruit forming, so I told it how clever it was, and sprayed it, and this weekend I shall net it, so that the parrots don't get it.  Plenty of blossom on the peach tree, last year my three peaches were eaten by something not human, and that will not happen this year, it too will eventually get sprayed and netted.  We have five loquart trees and they are absoloutely full and over flowing.  My son has mulberries, and loquart and mulberries stewed and in a crumble are so delicious.
We have had a lot of rain again, it was 25 deg yesterday, but is back to 18 today. 
So endith the gardening and weather report for my neck of the woods.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 02:08:50 PM »
sounds like you had a good result Pauline.  I tried talking to my apple tree and my runner beans, but I dont think they liked the tone of voice I used. We have had a few good days here and my son has hired a "tower" to paint the outside of the house ( having   3 stories being a town house) but he is finding it very difficult as he has found out he doesnt like heights. The nights are drawing in and the shops are full of Halloween gear, fireworks and Christmas cards already which i find very depressing as I feel we havnt had a summer yet.I must have blinked and missed it.  Love Belx

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 02:02:01 AM »
sounds like you had a good result Pauline.  I tried talking to my apple tree and my runner beans, but I dont think they liked the tone of voice I used. We have had a few good days here and my son has hired a "tower" to paint the outside of the house ( having   3 stories being a town house) but he is finding it very difficult as he has found out he doesnt like heights. The nights are drawing in and the shops are full of Halloween gear, fireworks and Christmas cards already which i find very depressing as I feel we havnt had a summer yet.I must have blinked and missed it.  Love Belx

I know how you feel Belx, I have spoken to my car a lot of times but it still plays me up, I shout at my piano when it plays a wrong note, I know I am just a beginner, but  give me a break let's get a long. Yes I am going crazy but it feels so good, don't care what happens everything is Rosie and I'm having a great time. :) ;) :D ??? P.S.  I try not to talk to myself because it always ends up in an argument.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:17:59 AM by JSmith »