Author Topic: residents of geraint rd 194o to 195o  (Read 7785 times)

Iris

• View Profile
residents of geraint rd 194o to 195o
« on: June 15, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »
We the Cummings family moved to Geraint Rd 1940, would like to hear from any one who remembers us  living at number 63. Especially interested in the Mortimer family who live at number 57, and the Day family who lived at the top of the road.
Visited Downham until 2002, when Mum died aged 94  and I decided to move to Norfolk.

Best Wishes to all those who lived in my very favourite road.

Iris Rivett  formerly cummings

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: residents of geraint rd 194o to 195o
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:55:08 PM »
Hi Iris, the Rivetts rings a bell. I had relatives living in Tristram road, Bill, George, another younger boy whose name escapes me,think it was Charlie. and the girls were Gwen, and the older one( Lily) who married a Canadian     they moved to a house by the old Bromley road. they had a hint of gipsie in them in appearance. hope some of them are still around as they would all be in their 80's to 90's      dickie...........
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 03:41:46 AM »
We the Cummings family moved to Geraint Rd 1940, would like to hear from any one who remembers us  living at number 63. Especially interested in the Mortimer family who live at number 57, and the Day family who lived at the top of the road.
Visited Downham until 2002, when Mum died aged 94  and I decided to move to Norfolk.

Best Wishes to all those who lived in my very favourite road.

Iris Rivett  formerly cummings
Hello Iris good to hear from you.
I lived in Geraint Road at number 16 from when I was born in 1944 until about 1952/3 when we moved up to no 52, and I lived there until I married in 1964.  I cannot say I recall the Cummings or the Mortimers though.

Pauline Lloyd (formerly Moorby)
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Iris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 11:13:37 AM »
It seems that no-one can remember us, the Cummings, (Kathleen, Iris, Dickie and Pauline), but I would like to throw a few more names into the system.

Can anyone recall the Hackett's, Todd, Bishop, Knights, Hughes, Drummond, etc, etc.  These were all our neigbours at the time.

It would be lovely to hear from anyone who lived in this area from 1940 onwards.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 03:39:37 AM »
It seems that no-one can remember us, the Cummings, (Kathleen, Iris, Dickie and Pauline), but I would like to throw a few more names into the system.

Can anyone recall the Hackett's, Todd, Bishop, Knights, Hughes, Drummond, etc, etc.  These were all our neigbours at the time.

It would be lovely to hear from anyone who lived in this area from 1940 onwards.

I lived opposite the Hacketts and Todds.  I have a friend Eileen Hughes who lived in Gareth Grove.  I Lived next door to the Bishops.  But I Have no recollection of the Knights or Drummonds, although the names do seem toi ring a distant bell.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:55:48 AM »
Iris, Sorry I cant place any of those surnames except fr the Drummonds (although the ones I know could be the parents. I am still interested in the Rivetts to whom I am related )     dickie............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Iris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 01:15:13 PM »
Hi Dickie, greetings on this beautiful Norfolk day.Just read your 'letter' saying you are related to the  Rivetts.Tell me more please, as I'm very much into family trees this bit of information interests me very much.
My husband's Dad and many  great grandfathers go way way back in Suffolk. Does this ring any bells?
As for the rivetts up to date, my husband was born in Peckham, London  as well as his brother Ernie.They moved to Downham around 1939 and went to local schools. Les did play for Catford Wanderers Football team in the fifties as well as Cricket which he loves to watch.
My husbands is now 74, did you perhaps play these sports at the same time as he did,maybe you remember the name from then.I'm assuming you are of the same age, if not.......sorry.Off to do a spot of gardening, can't waste such a beautiful day

Regards..........Iris.

a

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 08:13:46 PM »
knew a Doreen Rivett.  used to go to Churchdown School I believe.  My relatives  the Woodwards lived in Geraint Road .

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 12:15:53 AM »
knew a Doreen Rivett.  used to go to Churchdown School I believe.  My relatives  the Woodwards lived in Geraint Road .

Do you know what number in Geraint Road Bel?  I can't bring the name to mind.  What years are we talking about? They maybe 'before my time'.

geoffbates

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 07:29:20 PM »
My Nan and Grandad Jessie and Harry Knights lived In Geraint Road from about 1928 until their deaths in 1969 and 1973 respectively. They first lived at No 68 two doors down from the Blamires. On the corner with Lancelot on the right were the Kitchen family. On the opposite corner were Charlie and Nell Paye. Next door to my Nan was Becky Castle and her sons who would fight in the garden. Further down were Mr and Mrs Hogan and their sons one of whom was Dennis, a good footballer. My Uncles Pat and Bob Knights played for Delvin and Artillery House football teams and Downham and Bellingham. Further down weere the Seabrooks who with their sons Johnny and Charlie moved to Devon where I now live. I see Charlie occasionally in passing. There were the Cakebreads Jimmy and Phyliss and their kids Jimmy Jnr and Jaqueline. Peggy and Charlie Bateman and their daughter Joan lived on the opposite side down towards Ivorydown. Mr and Mrs Bonney lived oppsite the Cakebreads with their son Leslie. I have pictures of a massive street party in Geraint Road at the Coronation in 1953. Does any recognise any of these names