Author Topic: Where is Winter?  (Read 10622 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Where is Winter?
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:43:37 AM »
I really don't know what is happening in other parts of the globe, but here in "the west" the weather is very strange to say the least.  On Saturday we had thunderstorms torrential rain for 24 hours. 44mm of rain recorded.  Sunday and Monday (Public holiday here) we had bright sunshine, not a cloud to be seen, and temperatures of 24deg+.  What's it like in 'the east' Brenda?  And is the weather behaving normally in Canada and the UK? Smiffy?
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Where is Winter?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 06:44:07 AM »
You may well ask, Pauline.  We've had a couple of very frosty mornings and cool nights but the days have been warm and sunny - no jackets required.  I am back to saving the bath water after just a short respite although - drum roll please - we had a few spots of rain earlier.  A friend in south London tells me her garden is boggy and soggy after days of heavy rain and I believe there is flooding in Somerset. 

I've been meaning to ask how your sick doggy is, Pauline. 

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 03:04:45 AM »
Well as it is June it should be spring here, but we have cloudy skies & rain temp about 15c, so that may be like the old country. I expect when August comes I and others will be complaining about the humidity. Oh well the Arctic circle is melting so God knows what is happening. How's the Antarctic, Ladies, do you have big icebergs melting?.
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

derrick Durrantgoudhurst1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 05:14:11 AM »
I was in "Brisbane"on Monday,90mm of rain in one day.We would give our right arm for that in "South Australia"Derek.D.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 07:35:44 AM »

I've been meaning to ask how your sick doggy is, Pauline. 
She is fine at the moment - I have been giving her injections twice a day, but have cut them down to just one a day.  She has her aspirin morning and night.  I realise the 'mass' is still blocking her venacavia (sp?) artery, but apparently her other blood vessels have taken over the job that that one usually does - happens to people too.  How clever is she?  She still plays with young Harry (X red heeler something) I keep telling her she is 105 years old with a heart condition, but she doesn't listen.  Funnily enough after giving her these aspirin and Fragmin injections her arthritis seems to have gone!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 07:39:49 AM »
Well as it is June it should be spring here, but we have cloudy skies & rain temp about 15c, so that may be like the old country. I expect when August comes I and others will be complaining about the humidity. Oh well the Arctic circle is melting so God knows what is happening. How's the Antarctic, Ladies, do you have big icebergs melting?.

Oh! don't want the artic circle running down on you.  At least the antarctic will just run down and off the bottom of the world  ;D

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 10:26:04 AM »
Glad to hear your old girl is doing alright.  It sounds as if her quality of life is still good.  Both my dogs have leg problems, particularly one who has got a severely damaged knee joint.  They both have cartrophin injections twice a day and the aforementioned has aspirin if she seems to be in more discomfort than usual. Perhaps I should give it to her each day.

Unbelievable all that water up in Queensland, isn't it? We've had a bit of drizzle here and some mornings we're in the clouds which provides a bit more moisture but we need something more substantial.

Global warming - well, I'm glad I won't be around for the worst of it.   

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:26:40 AM »

Global warming - well, I'm glad I won't be around for the worst of it.   

I read 'somewhere' that Mars is also experiencing global warming - and I just KNOW that is not my fault!!!
You may have read about an explosion in a gas plant in the north of WA.  So now there is a panic because we could run out of gas supplies.  But living on a bush block, my gas is in 2 cylinders at the back of the house, and I have enough for over a year.
The same applies whenever there is a hue and cry about water.  With 4 huge tanks we are OK.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 07:12:28 AM »
Yes, did get the news of the explosion.  Glad to hear you are okay with supplies. We have a woodburning stove (which also heats the water), a gas cooktop (cylinder) an electric oven and also solar panels to heat the water.  Sounds as if you have those really, really big cylinders, Pauline - very useful.  We have two 5,000gallon tanks for the house and have never run out yet although we make sure we don't waste any.  We have had some decent rain over the last couple of days and the creek is actually running. First time we've seen water down there for a long time.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 05:35:30 AM »
Yes, did get the news of the explosion.  Glad to hear you are okay with supplies. We have a woodburning stove (which also heats the water), a gas cooktop (cylinder) an electric oven and also solar panels to heat the water.  Sounds as if you have those really, really big cylinders, Pauline - very useful.  We have two 5,000gallon tanks for the house and have never run out yet although we make sure we don't waste any.  We have had some decent rain over the last couple of days and the creek is actually running. First time we've seen water down there for a long time.
Sounds like us.  I have been trying to get Pete to sort out the wood burner so that it heats the water, but I don't usually have to switch on the immersion heater, we usually have enought sun during the day to keep the water hot.  Our tanks are overflowing, so we are flushing after each use (those who dont know - don't ask).   And I had a bath!!!!!! Oh the decadent bliss!!!
I am sure both Pete and my Mum's would be horrified if they knew we had no scheme water and no proper sewerage!!!!!!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 01:31:35 AM »
Hallo Pauline,
We are the same with the flushing so I know of what you speak and I must say, it is nice not to be bucketing the washing and bath water onto the garden.  We have a septic tank too - now awaiting 'the man' to come an empty it. It might sound primitive but it works, doesn't it?

By the way, after overdoing the running both dogs have had worsened limps so I've started them on aspirin each day. With that and only moderate walks (but try stopping them running if something excites them) they do seem much better. 

We've had an inch of rain which was terrific and the weather is still really quite mild - didn't need a jacket on yesterday when I had the weekly excursion to town.  Crazy.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 10:41:31 PM »
Girls - you may be on the other side of the world in the midst of winter but spare a thought for us as we have now reached Midsummers Day and the barbies are still locked up.  The weather is appalling and we are still having to spend our summer evenings indoors watching TV whilst the patio furniture sits dripping in the rain and the Pimms remains firmly locked up. Course, I know why its raining, Ascot has just finished and we are waiting for Wimbledon and it always rains for that......  Just returned from a week by Lake Garda, Italy, and, guess what, it rained for half the time we were there as well!

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 10:39:23 AM »
Girls - you may be on the other side of the world in the midst of winter but spare a thought for us as we have now reached Midsummers Day and the barbies are still locked up.  The weather is appalling and we are still having to spend our summer evenings indoors watching TV whilst the patio furniture sits dripping in the rain and the Pimms remains firmly locked up. Course, I know why its raining, Ascot has just finished and we are waiting for Wimbledon and it always rains for that......  Just returned from a week by Lake Garda, Italy, and, guess what, it rained for half the time we were there as well!
Sorry to say this Christine, but there seems to be a common denominator here - YOU!
Watched the Poms play the Kiwi's last night on the TV, and everyone was rugged up. It's been quite nice here today.  Yes it always rains during Wimbledon, but that just seems to creep up on us here.  "Good Lord Wimbledon already?"

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 11:20:45 AM »
Tell you what Pauline, we'll have to call Chris over when we're in the midst of drought and hey-ho, water troubles will be over.  What did you just say to that Chris?

Poor you, fancy going all the way to Italy only to still need your brolly.  I hope you managed to find some enjoyment and relaxation though.

It's still amazingly mild over this way. Are we going to suffer a very, very cold spring, I wonder.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 11:20:45 AM »
Tell you what Pauline, we'll have to call Chris over when we're in the midst of drought and hey-ho, water troubles will be over.  What did you just say to that Chris?

Poor you, fancy going all the way to Italy only to still need your brolly.  I hope you managed to find some enjoyment and relaxation though.

It's still amazingly mild over this way. Are we going to suffer a very, very cold spring, I wonder.
Oh yes!  Wait until March when Pete is out 'dipping' the tanks.  "Will we have enough water to last until the rain comes?" - then it's "When will the rains come?"  We always assume that they will - eventually.  We had our English friends here last summer, and they just melted.