Author Topic: Heat wave  (Read 12347 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Heat wave
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 10:53:46 AM »
Ah, but the Mallen streak is really quite interesting, isn't it?  I went from blonde to 'silver-blonde' (as a very charitable friend used to describe it) and now am almost totally white.  I've never 'fiddled' with my hair colour and can't be bothered to start now so white it will have to be.  But it is that which makes me see my mother more and more in the mirror, bless her.  Scary though.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 12:56:24 PM »
And girls, its not just the reflection that reminds us of our mothers, its also the mannerisms and the things we say.  I often have to stop myself saying things I know would have come out of my mum's mouth.  I also avoid the colours she would wear but dammit why do I always get drawn to them first!  And why do I complain about everything so much like she always did - you know, the music, the clothes, the manners of the youngsters, the language etc. etc.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 02:19:28 AM »
What would we do if it wasn't for our Mums?, of course we would not be here. My dear old Mum died when She was 61, this past March 27th She would have been 100 years old. Did we appreciate them enough or did we take them for granted. Mum's are the best. What ever the colour of your hair or how you look.
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 02:12:16 AM »
What would we do if it wasn't for our Mums?, of course we would not be here. My dear old Mum died when She was 61, this past March 27th She would have been 100 years old. Did we appreciate them enough or did we take them for granted. Mum's are the best. What ever the colour of your hair or how you look.

I always had the feeling I was a 'mistake' being 10 years younger than my sister.
I am afraid I was an awful shock to my Mum in more ways than my unexpected birth.
My sister was a lovely person with a gentle temper and always thought well of everyone.  I was a bit of a rebel in my Mums eyes, although perfectly normal when you look back on it.  My Mum was 40 when I was born so to have this child who was always letting the chickens out, and washing her fluffy toys in the bath came as a rude awakening. I didn't get much better when I grew up. And I think the 'time'  was different.  I had a more 'loving' relationship with my children than with my parents. 
Although I do remember one evening I chopped my hair and dyed it orange - my Mum just uttered "ugh" and that was it.
My Dad said my tongue would hang me - a case of operating the mouth before the brain was in gear.  I still tend to say what I think and suffer the consequences afterwards.
My Pete and Mum got on so well - when Dad died Mum came to live with us because in the community she lived (- she got an exchange to Deal) everyone was 'old.'
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 03:46:07 AM »
I know what you mean Chris.  I recently heard myself say to Syd, "You must have the last word,mustn't you?" and if that wasn't my mum channelling through my mouth, my name is Ernestine Flugbottom.   At the moment, I've resurrected a couple of cardigans of my mother's and boy, do I feel I've been taken over.

Smiffy, your mum was too, too young when she died - and,let's face it,61 sounds very young these days, doesn't it?  It must have been awful.  Did we appreciate them when we were young?  Well, I must say I think I did.  I always recognised how hard she worked and what she did for us.  Mind you, I don't suppose I actually said it until she was very old and I'm glad I did.

Pauline, I admire your mother for saying no more than 'ugh' when you dyed your hair orange (which, in view of today's multi-coloured striped hair, was probably quite tame).
I remember when my mother first joined the senior citizens clubs many years ago but never went back because the other members were far too old.  She did eventually join one when she was about 80years old and had a few happy years left to enjoy it.