Author Topic: Heat wave  (Read 12383 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Heat wave
« on: March 14, 2008, 03:54:47 AM »
Okay you guys and gals, the heat wave is my excuse for not posting anything here.  What's yours?

I'm living in a dustbowl today.  Temperature is in the high 30s, there's a terrific wind and our neighbours' paddocks won't have any topsoil left soon, it'll all be miles away.  Anyone remember that old Henry Fonda (I think) film where the farms have become like the desert?  That's what it looks like here at the moment.  I expect a camel train to pass any moment.

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: Heat wave
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 05:52:48 AM »
Okay you guys and gals, the heat wave is my excuse for not posting anything here.  What's yours?

I'm living in a dustbowl today.  Temperature is in the high 30s, there's a terrific wind and our neighbours' paddocks won't have any topsoil left soon, it'll all be miles away.  Anyone remember that old Henry Fonda (I think) film where the farms have become like the desert?  That's what it looks like here at the moment.  I expect a camel train to pass any moment.

Must be awful.  The weather is really strange this year.
Our weather seems to have settled down, 26 deg today, although we are expecting 33deg on Tuesday, but I think we have seen the worst of the heat, and will now settle into a cool and blustery autumn.  We did wonder when autumn would arrive, and are now expecting the high winds and storms.  After 10 days of 35 deg+ it is a relief. Poor old Adelaide is sweltering, they do tend to get heat, but not so bad as now.  They have beaten our record.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 06:19:36 PM »
Don't hang around send some to Canada, we have had nearly 100cm of snow, -15c with wind chill taking it down to -30c, bloody cold. send it airmail we cant wait, people are collapsing with the drudgery of digging out the snow. Thank you  ;) :) ;D  Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 12:27:06 AM »
Don't hang around send some to Canada, we have had nearly 100cm of snow, -15c with wind chill taking it down to -30c, bloody cold. send it airmail we cant wait, people are collapsing with the drudgery of digging out the snow. Thank you  ;) :) ;D  Smiffy

I tried to Smiffy - but the postal authorities told me that it wouldn't be allowed in because of possible quarantine risks because the Canadian authorities wouldn't know what it was.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 01:31:34 AM »
We tend to worry about Adelaide's weather as what they've had, we get! 

Smiffy, I hope you dress for the weather like an eskimo.   Just the other day, I was thinking how we girls had to go to school in skirts.  No such thing as tights then either, were there?   There was always that gap between top of socks and bottom of skirt to get cold and chapped.  My legs used to get so sore. As for the wellies, well, how awful it was when the snow was so deep, it went over the top of them and then we'd be sitting in cold, wet socks at school. 

Mind you, I remember  staggering through snow to work in high-heels.  How dumb can you get.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 06:35:29 AM »
Ok Brenda - you tried to wake everyone up!

Seems like only me and Smiffy are answering your call to arms!

Come on everyone.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 02:21:28 AM »
It's the 1st day of Spring here tomorrow, you would not think it. But I should not complain, in August I will complain about how hot it is. I really enjoy all the different seasons, the Birds have just started to sing so the best time of the year is coming. Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 07:22:12 AM »
The temperature dropped dramatically yesterday afternoon.  I opened all the doors and windows to let the cool air in and not so much later, had to close them because I got cold.   It's absolutely wonderful at the moment: grey skies, very light drizzle and I've had to resurrect a long sleeve top and trousers.  It's a feast or famine situation with the weather here.

Smiffy, like you, I enjoy the seasons and we do have the four distinct seasons down south.

What's it like over west at the moment Pauline?

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 05:37:30 AM »
The temperature dropped dramatically yesterday afternoon.  I opened all the doors and windows to let the cool air in and not so much later, had to close them because I got cold.   It's absolutely wonderful at the moment: grey skies, very light drizzle and I've had to resurrect a long sleeve top and trousers.  It's a feast or famine situation with the weather here.

Smiffy, like you, I enjoy the seasons and we do have the four distinct seasons down south.

What's it like over west at the moment Pauline?

Up and down.  35 deg today, had one day of 26 last week, then it climbed back up again, hot again tomorrow, but then it is supposed to cool down.  But it's so strange, the weather can't seem to settle, and neither can we.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 02:12:22 AM »
Looks like the heatwave is over - thank heavens.  And talking about the heavens: on Monday evening, we had a terrific storm and had so much rain we had 'lake-views' on all sides of the house.  We could have kayaked down the road.  The creek which has been dry for months was a raging torrent and we were paddling in the garden.  Our dams are up by two, probably more like three, feet.  And it all happened within an hour.  Of course, it was all too fast for  the parched soil to absorb it all but I can already see a flush of green over the paddocks.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 04:22:54 AM »
Looks like the heatwave is over - thank heavens.  And talking about the heavens: on Monday evening, we had a terrific storm and had so much rain we had 'lake-views' on all sides of the house.  We could have kayaked down the road.  The creek which has been dry for months was a raging torrent and we were paddling in the garden.  Our dams are up by two, probably more like three, feet.  And it all happened within an hour.  Of course, it was all too fast for  the parched soil to absorb it all but I can already see a flush of green over the paddocks.

Its raining like mad here today.  9mm in 2 hours.  We need it, but our daylight saving ended on Sunday - and now I feel all gloomy again.  On Sundays I would find a shady spot in the garden and sit and read before dinner at about 8.30pm, but last night it was dinner at 7.30pm and dark - I hate it!
I loved it in England in the summer when it was light until 9.30pm.  And all that stupid rubbish about the kids not going to bed - let me tell you when I was told to go to bed I went!!!  And so did my kids, light or dark. Cows won't milk - tell me Brenda are Australian cows that much more stupid than English cows?

Oh well - off the hobby horse, we may lose our daylight saving when it goes to referendum next year.  It's the oldies who will vote it out - not that it affects them, they can have the clock whatever time they want.  Me?  I'm not an oldie, and that person in the mirror is not me, and the person in the photos wearing my clothes is not me!!!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 05:11:09 AM »
Our downpour gave us 35mm.  The shape of our road has changed somewhat and is full of wash-aways but I suppose it will have to do until the council decides on its yearly (if we're lucky) grading.  Naturally, with the wet and the warm, things are pushing up again.  It's mostly weeds (of course) but I spotted some grass today.  Whoopee.

Like you Pauline, I loved those long summer evenings and not being called in until dusk.  And yep, we went in when we were called and didn't turn into delinquents, did we?

Our clocks change this coming weekend.  I shall ask the cows what their opinion is but in my humble experience (and not being a dairy farmer I may well be wrong), ours don't  object to any changes in daylight savings as long as they are well-fed etc.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 09:23:25 PM »
Motion seconded Pauline (And our Bren.) I am fed up with that smirking old twit in the mirror, it isn't me at all,  think  I will just shut my eyes when combing my hair. At least the weather has perked up and I am ready to go boot fairing again and get rid of the boxes cluttering up my shed. Anywhere within twenty miles of \windsor will do   dickie................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 02:29:22 AM »
Dickie, you never fail to make me chuckle - smirking old twit indeed!

Well, tell you all what, there is definitely life after death. The 'other side' is obviously the other side of the mirror. I know that because my mother has ended up there and always looks back at me during my ablutions.  It is rather disconcerting even though it is nice to see her again!

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 08:14:40 AM »
Dickie, you never fail to make me chuckle - smirking old twit indeed!

Well, tell you all what, there is definitely life after death. The 'other side' is obviously the other side of the mirror. I know that because my mother has ended up there and always looks back at me during my ablutions.  It is rather disconcerting even though it is nice to see her again!

My Pete knows better than to tell me I look like my mother - in fact I look more like my Dad, but I wish my hair would go white like his, then I wouldn't have to 'fiddle' with it!  My Mum and my Gran both had just a few grey hairs sprinkled about the head, mine are all around the front with a Mallen streak going through it.  If I were a fella I suppose I would look distinguished!