Author Topic: Happy Memories of Downham  (Read 39986 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: Happy Memories of Downham
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2008, 02:21:26 AM »

Yes and fish and chips were the only 'fast food' shops around.

Oh what I'd give for a piece of skate - what do you say Brenda?

I wouldn't knock it back, Pauline!  Wouldn't knock back a decent faggot either. 
We can't get scampi here in the west.  So when my daughter and I went to UK in 2006 we headed for the fish and chip shop for a basket of scampi and chips - tasted every bit as good as we remembered.
Pete loved savaloys too, haven't seen any of those around either.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2008, 06:47:19 AM »
I'm pretty sure you can get saveloys down here although they aren't something I buy myself so maybe I've got that wrong.  I'm thankful we can get HP sauce and Branston Pickle and Piccalli too.  I don't like the Aussie pickles, they are too sweet.  I'd kill for a packet of tiger nuts!

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2008, 10:25:05 PM »
went to Southend today and had cod and chips for dinner and  bread and butter for our tea.....scrummy yummy

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2008, 04:37:25 AM »
went to Southend today and had cod and chips for dinner and  bread and butter for our tea.....scrummy yummy

Oh Bel, how can you do that to us ex-pats!  I suppose you are going to tell me you know where the best faggots can be had too. 

Still, I can say that I have, at last, found a sausage worth buying.  And bought some Pontefract cakes yesterday although, I must say, they don't look quite as I remember them but they are supposed to be English and I should think, judging from the price, they would be.  Have only just remembered I bought them.  Off I go to have a sample.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2008, 06:30:03 AM »

Oh Bel, how can you do that to us ex-pats!  I suppose you are going to tell me you know where the best faggots can be had too. 

Still, I can say that I have, at last, found a sausage worth buying.  And bought some Pontefract cakes yesterday although, I must say, they don't look quite as I remember them but they are supposed to be English and I should think, judging from the price, they would be.  Have only just remembered I bought them.  Off I go to have a sample.

I buy sausages made by the British Sausage company - found in most supermarkets here in the west.  They are 'almost' Richmond, but not quite.  In fact we had sausage, mash and onions last night.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2008, 09:41:38 PM »
well I used to cook tripe and onions for my dad, and I must say that I enjoyed this as well, but could never quite make it like my mum. There is a sweet shop on Sheppy that sells all the old fashion sweets and I must call in next time and have a look round.  Golly bars were my favourite a farthing each ( small solid toffy bar) and my halfpenny milk money often got spent this way.  I found two little honey bees indoors today, and carefully put them on the flowers on my runner beans (for ever hopeful thats me). To date I have a fair amount of flower and about 5 beans. Bel

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2008, 08:23:21 AM »
 Morning all . :D  THOSE CULINARY FANTASIES , SAUAGES AND MASH ! and FAGGOTS.  What's wrong with what Manzes had to offer ? Pie & Mash ( with green liquor ), Jellied Eels, sumptuous. ,besides which if those little beggars had half a chance they would quite happily scoff me,every eel I eat is one less to eat me ..... Guess the Aussies should try Shark stew . I have a couple of Grandchildren out there in Brisbane at the moment improving their education          dickie.......................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2008, 10:51:37 AM »
Wotchyer Dickie,

And how are your grandchildren enjoying Brisbane and Oz in general?  We do eat shark but it's called flake.  Dunno why.  Now, talking about fish again - what wouldn't I give for a bloater.  Roe is also something I miss. A couple of years ago, Syd found a wet fish shop that was willing to order a kilo from Melbourne -soft roe, it was. I was thrilled to bits. When I was dividing it into small amounts, I saw 'something' and found it was a huge worm.  Yep, still alive.  When Syd took the lot back to the shop, the fellow said that all fish had worms. Hmmph. That may be so, but generally speaking one doesn't expect to find something that looks as if it crawled out of a dog's bum in one's meal!  Haven't tried to get any since then.  A bit off-putting to say the least.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2008, 03:46:28 AM »
When I went to England in '95 I had Roe & chips. Bloody marvelous. Did not think to try the jellied eels, wot-a-twit.
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2008, 04:00:06 AM »
When I went to England in '95 I had Roe & chips. Bloody marvelous. Did not think to try the jellied eels, wot-a-twit.

Thankfully I never could take to Jellied eels or roe.  We found some tinned hard roe on the supermarket shelf.  John West do it, Pete said it wasn't bad.
I cann occasional find black pudding.  But what I really would like to have again is strawberries and fresh cornish clotted cream!!!!

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2008, 11:03:36 AM »
 ::)back to nosh again, Hi Y'all, August Bank holiday ( Oh, my granddaughter informs me it is "Summer" Bank holiday ? ? ?  WHAT SUMMER ? )anyway off to Blackheath Fair and scrumptious apple and pear Fritters while listening to Tom Forest's Calliope playing then in the evening away to a Nymph dance in Abbey Woods. Ah, see what you children have missed by arriving too late. You could even get Bels Sarasparelle !   dickie..........
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2008, 02:21:24 PM »
oh  Brenda how very nasty finding a worm in the roe.  We used to have roes regularly from our local Morrisons fish counter till one hot day I saw a couple of bluebottles hovering over them which quite turned me off of buying them . I used to cook herrings in vinegar in the oven for my Dad and could never get rid of the smell which lingered for a couple of days. Never tried faggots but you can still buy them locally in the butchers.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2008, 01:46:10 AM »
Never tried faggots but you can still buy them locally in the butchers.
[/quote]

My mother also used to make a fantastic stew with faggots. Oh boy, I can taste it now.  I'd love to know what went into English faggots. I've found recipes for them but they aren't the same. They all include liver and the overall taste is just of that.