Author Topic: Happy Memories of Downham  (Read 39984 times)

christine

• View Profile
Re: Happy Memories of Downham
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 07:26:52 PM »
Hey Snowdrop - I was in the Brownies at St Lukes and a Girl Guide and, would you believe, my brother was a Queens Scout but that was before your time!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 01:03:51 AM »
Hallo again Snowdrop.  Sorry but the Rose Queen event must have been after my time.   I agree with your opinion of Miss Rudolph/Mrs Lovelace's face.  Anyone got any photos of her?

Your trip down Memory Lane is interesting.  Yes, there was Boltons which,in the old days, used to have a lucky dip barrel just inside the door. Boltons is where I was sent to get my father's tobacco ' "Half an ounce of Old Holborn please and a packet of Rizla Reds."  Don't think children are allowed to buy such things now, are they?

The shop where you bought the oil etc was Allneeds.  I remember the two fellows in their brown coats well - lovely fellows - and for years I thought they were the Misters Allneed.  Then the penny dropped!

Anns  is where my winter coats were bought as well as buttons and other odds and sods.  Then there was the bicycle shop and the shoe shop on the same side.   And Whites on the corner of Capstone Rd where we bought flying saucers, two for a halfpenny, wooden liquorice etc.

I remember the chemist well.  There was almost a feeling of sanctity in there!  One side for the prescriptions, the other side for frivololities such as shampoos. 

The bakers was a place of fascination and I was always in awe of the wonderfully decorated cakes in the windows.  My mother used to send me in to buy bread and tell me to 'make sure it is fresh' and I was always terrified of being given a stale one because I knew I would never be brave enough to refuse to take it. And then I'd be in strife.

Oh, the memories.  Keep 'em coming.

Like you, Chris, I remember our old Co-op number.  Funny how some things are imprinted on the brain.

As for the chips after swimming - well, did anything ever taste as good?  I don't think so.

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 09:13:53 PM »
Hey Snowdrop - I was in the Brownies at St Lukes and a Girl Guide and, would you believe, my brother was a Queens Scout but that was before your time!

Hello Christine, I used to have a great time at Brownies at St Lukes!!! and I also used to go to an after school club type thing, it was quite near Pendragon School walking towards Reigate Rd, turn left and there was another big school there but |I cannot remember the name of it, and I always used to go to Playcentre there in the school holidays etc it was great fun and I used to go to Tap and Ballet classes there as well after school!!!.

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 09:26:20 PM »
Hallo again Snowdrop.  Sorry but the Rose Queen event must have been after my time.   I agree with your opinion of Miss Rudolph/Mrs Lovelace's face.  Anyone got any photos of her?

Your trip down Memory Lane is interesting.  Yes, there was Boltons which,in the old days, used to have a lucky dip barrel just inside the door. Boltons is where I was sent to get my father's tobacco ' "Half an ounce of Old Holborn please and a packet of Rizla Reds."  Don't think children are allowed to buy such things now, are they?

The shop where you bought the oil etc was Allneeds.  I remember the two fellows in their brown coats well - lovely fellows - and for years I thought they were the Misters Allneed.  Then the penny dropped!

Anns  is where my winter coats were bought as well as buttons and other odds and sods.  Then there was the bicycle shop and the shoe shop on the same side.   And Whites on the corner of Capstone Rd where we bought flying saucers, two for a halfpenny, wooden liquorice etc.

I remember the chemist well.  There was almost a feeling of sanctity in there!  One side for the prescriptions, the other side for frivololities such as shampoos. 

The bakers was a place of fascination and I was always in awe of the wonderfully decorated cakes in the windows.  My mother used to send me in to buy bread and tell me to 'make sure it is fresh' and I was always terrified of being given a stale one because I knew I would never be brave enough to refuse to take it. And then I'd be in strife.

Oh, the memories.  Keep 'em coming.

Like you, Chris, I remember our old Co-op number.  Funny how some things are imprinted on the brain.

As for the chips after swimming - well, did anything ever taste as good?  I don't think so.
Hello Brenda, ah the good old days, I remember the bakers now they were always displayed on glass shelves and I drooled everytime I went past, and vaguely remember the shoe shop as well, Anns was a funny little place when you went in they were all displayed in wooden drawers with glass fronts, all displaying gloves stockings etc.. Nothing tasted better than 6d worth of chips after swimming even to this day probably Brenda.. The thought of Mrs Loveless UGH!!!! sends shivers down me spine as we speak!!. The chemist was a lovely place to work, they were very nice kind people, the manager his name escapes me all I can remember he was very tall with glasses and he drive an Allegro car with a square steering wheel!!! and a thin chap called Max and a lady who had worked in there for years and years he lived above the shop.a girl called Kathy and me!!!!! Used to have a elderly lady living in the flats at Dagonet Gardens called Nanny Selby and I always used to run errands for her and I had to go to the shops and buy 2d worth of snuff for her!!!Boltons had a big big counter on the left as you walked in and it was full of magazines and papers  and all the sweets were on the other side it was like an Aladdin's Cave!!! great for spending your pocket money in!!...

I will check with my brother about photos he may well have some because he is 11/12 older than me and probably will remember much more than me as well..... nostalgia to follow..... Take care and keep safe everybody

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 12:17:19 AM »
So glad you are sharing your memories with us all. We look forward to seeing any photographs you care to share. 

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 12:19:58 AM »
And you've got me to thinking ( a tough call these days) that Miss Rudolph's married name might well have been Lovelace and not Loveless.  Perhaps that's how it was pronounced and how it appeared in our brains.  Well, my brain anyway.  What's the consensus of opinion on this one? Still, Loveless was certainly appropriate.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 07:13:29 AM »
I went to Girls Brigade at that funny hall along Downham Way before you got to Grove Park.
Don't remember the new Co-op, but then I left in 1964.
Mum would send me down the shops,  just for a loaf of bread which evenually turned into a shopping list and a bag of stuff I could hardly carry.  Its funny, but even now when someone wants something, and then adds extras I say "This is getting to be like my mothers shopping list".
I think we've talked about swimming before.  I remember we simply HAD to go. It were cold and miserable there, but I think our thoughts on that are all on another 'thread' somewhere.
An old friend sent me some photos a while back, I will have to look for them, and up load them if I can understand the destructions.

Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 09:41:02 AM »
And you've got me to thinking ( a tough call these days) that Miss Rudolph's married name might well have been Lovelace and not Loveless.  Perhaps that's how it was pronounced and how it appeared in our brains.  Well, my brain anyway.  What's the consensus of opinion on this one? Still, Loveless was certainly appropriate.

Hello Brenda, the cells are certainly being put to the test, I think you are right it was Lovelace but I pity Mr Lovelace or Loveless hehe, can still see her stern face and she had glasses sometimes on a chain I think!!!!! UGH!!!!! shiver shiver down the spine!!!

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 09:50:19 AM »
I went to Girls Brigade at that funny hall along Downham Way before you got to Grove Park.
Don't remember the new Co-op, but then I left in 1964.
Mum would send me down the shops,  just for a loaf of bread which eventually turned into a shopping list and a bag of stuff I could hardly carry.  Its funny, but even now when someone wants something, and then adds extras I say "This is getting to be like my mothers shopping list".
I think we've talked about swimming before.  I remember we simply HAD to go. It were cold and miserable there, but I think our thoughts on that are all on another 'thread' somewhere.
Hello Christine, that was a funny little hall where I went to Sunday School and I used to love going out on little trips with them, great times, Mummy would send me UP theTop for errands usually for Paraffin and sent me with a funny little can for the lovely men to fill children wouldn't be allowed to do that now and we would fill up our little oil stove!!!!.
Swimming was heavenly but the chips were worth waiting for!!!!!!! will check for photos must have some somewhere!!! and my brother may have some.  more nostalgia later......

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 09:31:10 AM »
Just been reading all your lovely stories. Allneeds I remember that shop, Mum used to buy her Zamo disinfectant there and the paraffin for the stove in the bathroom, oh gawd how I hated that smell, it always seem to lay on my chest. We also used to buy paraffin from the pink paraffin man that used to come round in a van. I wonder if either of the men in Allneeds were called Arkwright?

My mum also used to say "up the road" for the Northover shops and it was a hell of a walk for our poor old mums, walking from half way up Shroffold to Downham Way for the shopping and then lugging it all back up hill.

I remember a little bakers shop probably the second or third shop on the left as you went to Downham Way, there was an elderly, very upright man that owned the shop and worked there for years and he used to sell fresh yeast, not that we ever bought any but the whole shop used to smell lovely. Then in the early 60's was a clothes shop close to that bakers where most of my wages used to go, used to pay off weekly. Talking about paying off weekly do you remember Pecry's (not sure if I've spelt that right) in Catford, mum used to get most everything in there, our shoes, bedroom slippers, bed linen etc and that was all paid for weekly. We used to see Tommy Steele's mum in there regularly.

The Muffin Man on a Sunday, how I loved the sound of that bell about 4pm, always knew what we were going to have for tea and the pease pudding van, I used to rush out there with a big bowl for that, never liked the faggots but hmmm that pease pudding.

Keep em coming folks, I'm actually at work but it's so quiet at the moment.

Would love to hear from anyone who lived on Shroffold between 56-68. Our neighbours were the O'Neills, the Brennans, D'Amiral, Mr & Mrs Jenkins and Brian, Kenny Ludwick, Susan Williamson (or Williams?).

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 03:09:12 PM »
Snowdrop? nice to meet

Hi "Snowdrop" nice to meet one of the new kids from Dahnum. Why Snowdrop? is there a story behind that, and which of the Armed forces did you grace with your presence?. there used to be a "Snowy" along Moorside road, but he had pure white hair but he was an albino  and must have preceded youtwenty years or more, anyway nice to have you in the club. oh, I came from the flats in Tristram Rd.     dickie..........

Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 10:41:37 PM »
Snowdrop? nice to meet

Good evening Dickie., its nice to be in the club (so to speak), I must admit since joining it , the happy memories I had have been wonderful and so nice to share!!, had no-one to share them with have I??until now  Snowdrop really came about because my hair is rather a nice shade of greyand my greatest passion is flowers so the two just went together really but my name is Sue and how do you do....
I was in the WRAC of which I thoroughly enjoyed..... keep safe and take care dickie...

Hi "Snowdrop" nice to meet one of the new kids from Dahnum. Why Snowdrop? is there a story behind that, and which of the Armed forces did you grace with your presence?. there used to be a "Snowy" along Moorside road, but he had pure white hair but he was an albino  and must have preceded youtwenty years or more, anyway nice to have you in the club. oh, I came from the flats in Tristram Rd.     dickie..........

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 04:11:00 AM »
Snow drop I lived at 85 Churchdown. I went to downderry infants and we used to lay on cot beds for a sleep, they where set up on the green that diveded the juniors from the infants.  Our old co-op number was 228817, we shopped at the one on bromley rd in downham.  The baker delivered the bread, he came every saturday about the same time when he knocked on the door for his money my dad would shout out baker baker, memorys ,  once again I ask are you sure they where the good old days, every one tells me that is not the way to think, I don't know?. It really feels good to read your guys memorys, as well as the ones I have.  Sniffy  :'(  :)   
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 08:46:49 AM »
Snow drop I lived at 85 Churchdown. I went to downderry infants and we used to lay on cot beds for a sleep, they where set up on the green that diveded the juniors from the infants.  Our old co-op number was 228817, we shopped at the one on bromley rd in downham.  The baker delivered the bread, he came every saturday about the same time when he knocked on the door for his money my dad would shout out baker baker, memorys ,  once again I ask are you sure they where the good old days, every one tells me that is not the way to think, I don't know?. It really feels good to read your guys memorys, as well as the ones I have.  Sniffy  :'(  :)   

Morning Smiffy :) nice to hear from you :) my friend lived at 27 Churchdown big family and as I have said before their names was Siddle and they had a motorbike and sidecar had great fun getting a lift home with her dad I wouldn't be able to fit into the sidecar now ;D and now I think that Deborah (my friend) lives somewhere near Moorside Rd, well she did up until about 7 years ago ??? We used to have a baker come around on a Saturday morning with a great big wicker basket that he could hardly carry stashed with all sorts of goodies and wrap the bread in tissue paper :)and it smelt gorgeous not like now!!!!. Our next door neighbours The Martins,I still have a Xmas card every year from them still :)grew up with the family and still correspond with them and they were my auntie and uncle Joyce and Paddy and they still live in Moorside Rd ......such memories......they have been auntie and uncle all my life ....

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 12:07:09 AM »
Just been reading all your lovely stories. Allneeds I remember that shop, Mum used to buy her Zamo disinfectant there and the paraffin for the stove in the bathroom, oh gawd how I hated that smell, it always seem to lay on my chest. We also used to buy paraffin from the pink paraffin man that used to come round in a van. I wonder if either of the men in Allneeds were called Arkwright?

My mum also used to say "up the road" for the Northover shops and it was a hell of a walk for our poor old mums, walking from half way up Shroffold to Downham Way for the shopping and then lugging it all back up hill.

I remember a little bakers shop probably the second or third shop on the left as you went to Downham Way, there was an elderly, very upright man that owned the shop and worked there for years and he used to sell fresh yeast, not that we ever bought any but the whole shop used to smell lovely. Then in the early 60's was a clothes shop close to that bakers where most of my wages used to go, used to pay off weekly. Talking about paying off weekly do you remember Pecry's (not sure if I've spelt that right) in Catford, mum used to get most everything in there, our shoes, bedroom slippers, bed linen etc and that was all paid for weekly. We used to see Tommy Steele's mum in there regularly.

The Muffin Man on a Sunday, how I loved the sound of that bell about 4pm, always knew what we were going to have for tea and the pease pudding van, I used to rush out there with a big bowl for that, never liked the faggots but hmmm that pease pudding.

Keep em coming folks, I'm actually at work but it's so quiet at the moment.

Would love to hear from anyone who lived on Shroffold between 56-68. Our neighbours were the O'Neills, the Brennans, D'Amiral, Mr & Mrs Jenkins and Brian, Kenny Ludwick, Susan Williamson (or Williams?).

I remember going to the butchers with my mum abd handing over the coupons for the meat.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.