Author Topic: Notable Downhamites  (Read 39106 times)

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Notable Downhamites
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »
That's funny I did not realise that, The 24 Battery RA cadets, Grove Park, I was a member of the band and had a job which I had forgot about, helping the SGT? a big over weight person, on a Saturday morning setting up the bar and general cleaning for the TA unit. My first 303 rifle experience also with a very sore arm for weeks. That would have have been around 1957-58. The bit that I did not make a connection was my 4 years in Germany spent with the 24 Regt RA (2 Bty)
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

billbaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »
I was a member of the gymnastics club at Wesley Hall in 1946/7; a Mr Birkhead who was a Lewisham councillor ran it and the gymnast was a Scotsman we just called Jock, I received a split lip playing handball there one evening and was taken to Doctor Bee whose surgery was next to the lower entrance to Durham Hill playing fields, he put two stitches in my lip. We also went on a weeks camping holiday to Dovercourt with the club, we camped in a field next to the vicarage, the vicar was an uncle of Michael Redgrave, I remember we were each given a list of items to bring to help out with food rationing which was still on at that time, one of the items on the list was a tin of condensed milk, we all handed them in except my friend Kenny, (yes the same Kenny again,) he hung on to his tin, he punched a hole in the lid and as we shared the same tent, at night we could hear him sucking the condensed milk out through the hole, it was only when the tin was almost empty that we pointed out to him that it was full of dead earwigs, they had managed to crawl in through the hole but were unable to get out again.   :(
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:46:18 PM by billbaker »

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2014, 10:29:38 AM »
 condensed milk, we all handed them in except my friend Kenny, (yes the same Kenny again,) he hung on to his tin, he punched a hole in the lid and as we shared the same tent, at night we could hear him sucking the condensed milk out through the hole, it was only when the tin was almost empty that we pointed out to him that it was full of dead earwigs, they had managed to crawl in through the hole but were unable to get out again.   :(
[/quote]

I can see a book in the making here i.e. The (Mis)adventures of Kenny.

Bren

sixtieschick

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »
sounds good to me David!!!   ;D