Author Topic: Notable Downhamites  (Read 42193 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Notable Downhamites
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 07:50:26 AM »

.  Down the end on Downham Way and to the left as you went down, there was a man who fixed things in his shed.  I remember my Mum would send me there with shoes I think (although Dad mended all our shoes, so I may be wrong)  Does anyone remember this man and what he did?

Well, I'm a tad late responding to this one but never mind.  I remember such a man but the one to whom we took our shoes for repair was in Moorside Rd. I hated -absolutely hated - going round to him because if no-one answered the door, I wasn't sure if I should go to the shed or not.  He was a bit of a grump too.  I don't remember his name but can 'see' his face quite clearly.  And the shed. I was always worried (when wasn't I?) that the shoes would get lost.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2009, 12:13:15 AM »

.  Down the end on Downham Way and to the left as you went down, there was a man who fixed things in his shed.  I remember my Mum would send me there with shoes I think (although Dad mended all our shoes, so I may be wrong)  Does anyone remember this man and what he did?

Well, I'm a tad late responding to this one but never mind.  I remember such a man but the one to whom we took our shoes for repair was in Moorside Rd. I hated -absolutely hated - going round to him because if no-one answered the door, I wasn't sure if I should go to the shed or not.  He was a bit of a grump too.  I don't remember his name but can 'see' his face quite clearly.  And the shed. I was always worried (when wasn't I?) that the shoes would get lost.

Dad went to a gardeners club in Moorside.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2009, 05:46:15 AM »
Not been on here for a while, retired over a year ago, and since completed a trip around Australia with 4x4 and caravan 28000kms over 9 months, now its real hard to settle. Good to hear the old names Doctors etc, the Hicks are part of my family and I am pretty sure T.S. lived on the estate at some time in his early life. I am from Keedonwood Road Ex Durham Hill, 1948 to 1960 my parents would have been on the estate till the early 80s before moving to Sittingbourne. I use to kick around on a 1948 Triumph 3T at 16 years with John Nunn who also lived in Keedonwood road. David Bowie went to Burnt Ash Primary school he was in a few classes younger, than me, One of the Copper brothers was going to rip my head, off due to my noisy motor cycle, I told my mate he had to come to my place in future, I was very wise I think. little things seem to wake up the brain keep it up.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2009, 05:55:16 AM »
Good to hear from you again, Hutchsky.  Yes, all it takes is a little trigger and we're all finding more memories pop up.

Glad you enjoyed your mammoth trip around Oz.  That's a lot of driving!

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2009, 09:39:31 PM »
Hi Husksy' nice long "Walkabout (or Driveabout) that would have cost the price of a Rolls in Petrol in UK and you are related to Tommy S ? I can only vaguely remember the family (and young Colin) when they lived in Orient Street. You aren't from Rotherhithe too are you ? Right now I can get back to my Snowman before it all melts         dickie...........
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2009, 04:10:57 AM »
Yes,
       Dicky it was a great trip cost, me around A$7000 for diesel ,that's at $2.00 a litre at the time, now its drop down to about $1.18c. I get about 17 mpg out of my Nissan 3L Patrol towing a 1800kg Caravan. Watched the news, with all the snow in London, now that brings back my younger days driving Trucks (lorries) around London, had some intresting times. Its around 30 deg here at the moment so life's going fine for us. TS was on my fathers side of the family dad lived at 225 Downham Way and mum from Verdant Lane, my parents born and grew up in Downham regards Frank H.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2009, 10:36:53 PM »
Just been going over old subject sites. and as we have new Newbies i think this subject could come back to the front. Also what we could do is each nominate a notable Downhamite. So i would like to nominate the person who started this site up and got us all talking together.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2009, 09:19:47 AM »
Just been going over old subject sites. and as we have new Newbies i think this subject could come back to the front. Also what we could do is each nominate a notable Downhamite. So i would like to nominate the person who started this site up and got us all talking together.
I would nominate Brownie the green grocer his lorry went all over the estate and he use to look after all his customers and employed me at 13 years old, I did a lot of growing up, the stories of some of the customers were quite intresting at times, old Brownie who always walk out in front shouting his coming was a great character and use to hind me in the back of the lorry, so mum would not catch me. (should had been at school)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 03:22:28 PM by Frank (hutchsky) »

Tavernlegend

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »
Does anyone remember the tally man Elvira?
He used to come to our house on a Friday night for payment with the only exception being FA cup final day when he would turn up to watch the final & drink beer.

grindlestonker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2014, 06:49:40 PM »
In some ways I hanker for the simplicity of general practices like that of Dr Hockman. No phoning for an appointment, you just turned up to the waiting room full of bentwood chairs and ask loudly, 'who am I after' The last in would answer 'me' and you'd sit and wait your turn till the next person turned up and that would be the opportunity to say 'me' when the big question was asked.

I recall the waiting room had brown paintwork and lino in a parquet style. with loads of posters imploring people to get immunised for Diptheria, Polio and whooping cough. When it was your turn to see the doc, he'd give you your diagnosis without the need to send you elsewhere for tests or refer you to some far flung hospitals. He's write out a prescription script and ask you to wait in the entrance hallway. After a few minutes he'd open a small hatch and dispense his own prescription.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2014, 02:40:52 AM »
In some ways I hanker for the simplicity of general practices like that of Dr Hockman. No phoning for an appointment, you just turned up to the waiting room full of bentwood chairs and ask loudly, 'who am I after' The last in would answer 'me' and you'd sit and wait your turn till the next person turned up and that would be the opportunity to say 'me' when the big question was asked.

I recall the waiting room had brown paintwork and lino in a parquet style. with loads of posters imploring people to get immunised for Diptheria, Polio and whooping cough. When it was your turn to see the doc, he'd give you your diagnosis without the need to send you elsewhere for tests or refer you to some far flung hospitals. He's write out a prescription script and ask you to wait in the entrance hallway. After a few minutes he'd open a small hatch and dispense his own prescription.

You've nailed Dr Hockman's practice and waiting room perfectly, Griddlestonker.   He was, in my opinion, what 'doctoring' is (or should be)  about: kind and understanding; prepared to listen, and knew his all patients by name.

Where oh where did you get 'Griddlestonker' from?  Wonderful pseudonym!
Bren

grindlestonker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 06:02:57 PM »
The grindlestonker is the son of the Krebbiezebornitz Bren

sspaull

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2014, 10:50:41 AM »
Since there's been some recent activity on this thread, I thought I'd ask here whether anyone remembers Gary Boyle. I posted elsewhere about this...

http://www.downhamonline.org.uk/connect/index.php?topic=549.0

Basically, I'm researching his biography and am wondering if anyone on here remembers him from the '50s to early '60s. Further info in the above link.

Many thanks.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2014, 04:07:21 AM »
The grindlestonker is the son of the Krebbiezebornitz Bren

Now then, you've got to be teasing me.  Haven't you?

Bren

ammotech

• View Profile
Re: Notable establishments
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2014, 02:03:14 PM »
 :) How about remembering the places we spent our youth on Dahnam Estate.
 Mallory School. Wesley Hall Boys club for Gymnastics. 24 Battery RA army cadet force Grove Park. 26 Regiment Berkshire and Westminster Dragoons Cadets Bromley road Catford These were also TA units.