Author Topic: Notable Downhamites  (Read 39093 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Notable Downhamites
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2007, 11:36:48 PM »
My brother, Don, was, I believe, the first Queen's Scout in the area back in 1953 and sold programmes at the Queen's Coronation so does that make him a notable Downhamite? 

Absolutely does - in my opinion at least. 

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2007, 06:29:22 PM »
Was your brother at the summer camp just south of Yeovil the incumbent was there and an old friend of mine  , one Sid Adams (and wife plus two sons) must have been around 1964 . St Lukes had a green scarf with a gold border (not forgetting the woggle ! )     dickie................
No Dickie, don't think so.  Once he got his Queens Badge he was out of scouting and then went onto do national service in the RAF and got married at 22 - all before 1959.  Think you might be right about the scarf although the picture in the local paper was in black and white so relying on memory here - not good at the best of times!
Chris

maureen

• View Profile
Re: The Medical Mission
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2007, 11:39:44 AM »
Reading all the messages about doctors on Downham, I remember Dr Powys at The Medical Mission and I remember if you went there when the surgery opened they used to have a little prayer reading, could not imagine that ever happening now. Dr Powys gave me the biggest shock of my life when she told me I was pregnant!!

We used to buy our Marmite from there as well and I think that delicious orange juice in the little glass bottles. I'm talking about the early 50's.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2007, 05:28:08 AM »

We used to buy our Marmite from there as well and I think that delicious orange juice in the little glass bottles. I'm talking about the early 50's.
[/quote]

Joy of joys, Marmite is now on our supermarket shelves - although it is called My Mate (because of trademark issues). Previously, we had to rely on people visiting the UK to bring some back for us.  Nothing else compares. As for that delicious orange juice that used to be given out at the clinics, oh my, it was delicious and I've never found another orange juice like it. Other edible delights missed out here are: Bramley cooking apples; Jersey tomatoes; Jaffa oranges; Kent cobnuts; acid drops; pear drops; aniseed twists; locusts (but have now got a tree and am waiting for it to fruit); tigernuts, and lots more that I can't think of at the moment.  Oh yes, faggots. Have tried making them but they are never the same.

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2007, 02:04:10 PM »
How about our very own Henry Cooper he came from Farmstead Road, Catford.

Souxie & The Banshees she came from Bromley.

Manfred Mann, although thinking back that might have been Beckenham, my friend and I used to hang around outside his house praying for a glimpse of Paul Jones.

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2007, 11:11:13 AM »
Is it time to namedrop and say that I know Paul Jones from Manfred Mann. Well, to be fair, he's a friend of a friend, and we've had a meal at his home in Wimbledon a couple of times, and met Paul and his lovely wife Fiona Hendley (remember "Widows" - the 80's drama series anyone?)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2007, 06:34:00 AM »
Is it time to namedrop and say that I know Paul Jones from Manfred Mann. Well, to be fair, he's a friend of a friend, and we've had a meal at his home in Wimbledon a couple of times, and met Paul and his lovely wife Fiona Hendley (remember "Widows" - the 80's drama series anyone?)

Now, now Maureen, control yourself!

Bought Widows on DVD a few months ago - one of our favourite shows.  And thank goodness I was able to because I accidentally recorded over our old video tape of it.  Boy, was I in the doghouse.  Did Fiona Hendley give up acting after Widows?  I've never seen her in anything else.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2008, 02:03:38 AM »

Joy of joys, Marmite is now on our supermarket shelves - although it is called My Mate (because of trademark issues). Previously, we had to rely on people visiting the UK to bring some back for us.  Nothing else compares. As for that delicious orange juice that used to be given out at the clinics, oh my, it was delicious and I've never found another orange juice like it. Other edible delights missed out here are: Bramley cooking apples; Jersey tomatoes; Jaffa oranges; Kent cobnuts; acid drops; pear drops; aniseed twists; locusts (but have now got a tree and am waiting for it to fruit); tigernuts, and lots more that I can't think of at the moment.  Oh yes, faggots. Have tried making them but they are never the same.
[/quote]

New Potatoes (although I am now growing my own), jaffa cakes, pickled oinions without sugar in them, malt loaf, scampi, skate and chips, proper chocolate, greengages and dates in boxes.  There must be more.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2008, 10:46:51 PM »
Next to the "Green Man" pub. at Southend Village was (is ?) a small school facing Peter Pan's Pool, one of its pupils was H. G. Wells who lived in the London Road area of Bromley   dickie.......................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 11:26:22 AM »

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »
Yeah Pecrys that's where Mum used to buy all our stuff too, on tick. Pirelli slippers, pyjamas, school stuff, they had everything in that shop.

Just past the Catford cinema was a big habberdashers shop where the money used to be put into those overhead things that flew across the ceiling and upstairs to the cashier and then you waited for that vacuum noise and your change would be sent down to you. Just round the corner from the cinema was an old secondhand shop where I used to take my old records and exchange them. Wish I'd had the sense to hang on to some of them, especially the covers!!

What about the wet fish shop on the left hand side of the road as you were going into Catford, can't remember what it was called but my Uncle Sonny worked on the front there for years, poor chap could never get the smell of fish off him.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2009, 06:41:35 AM »

Why not kick off with memories of notable Downham characters with a forum allocated to just this subject?

There were 2 'alleyways' that ran from Ivorydown to Downham Way.  Think of the one that came out near Gareth Grove.  Down the end on Downham Way and to the left as you went down, there was a man who fixed things in his shed.  I remember my Mum would send me there with shoes I think (although Dad mended all our shoes, so I may be wrong)  Does anyone remember this man and what he did?
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 09:38:33 AM »
I remember that "Alleyway" opposite Northover,it had a Tram stop at the bottom in Downham. My Chum John Linzner lived in 66  Gareth just across from the top end in Ivorydown. his sister Claire worked in Bolton's. during the dark evenings it doubled as "Lovers Lane" as I happily recall        dickie....................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 12:06:13 AM »
. during the dark evenings it doubled as "Lovers Lane" as I happily recall        dickie....................

Is this 'too much information' dickie?

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 12:57:33 AM »
too much info ? well I hope I haven't offended the vicar, but in 1940 it helped us forget a few of the nasty bits and forged a few unions among my crowd            dickie.............