Author Topic: Churchdown Girls School 1958-1963  (Read 8300 times)

maureen

• View Profile
Churchdown Girls School 1958-1963
« on: August 09, 2007, 12:31:47 PM »
Hi all, I've not had time to get on here for absolutely ages but I am still trying to find old friends from Churchdown Girls. I have been very fortunate recently to meet up with Carole Nathan, Joan Foot and Rosemary Bryant and I've always been in touch with Barbara Lucas - we were all in the same class. I would love to hear from Claudette Waite of Foster Park flats in Whitefoot Lane, and Carol Rolph, Carol Mori, Maureen Waters, Valerie Bridgman or anyone else that knows me.

Loved reading all the memories of Downham, I remember the pink paraffin man that used to call, faggots and pease pudding guy in a van, we used to rush out with a big pudding basin to be filled up. I remember collecting jam jars in an old pram and wheeling them down to Robertsons Jam Factory, I remember the Glennifer Laundry next door, Mum used to work there in the evenings. Our neighbours were O'Neills, and Brennans, we lived in Shroffold from about 1956, I got married in 68 but Mum, Dad and Mick still lived there for about another 10 years after I left home and then they moved to Sandpit.

I remember Haircuts in Hither Green where I used to buy my little mice, a shilling each so I scare all the people on the bus by letting one of them out on the top deck.

Hope I haven't gone on too long, once you start thinking the memories come flooding back.

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Churchdown Girls School 1958-1963
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 10:46:39 PM »

Loved reading all the memories of Downham,

Keep on sharing your memories, Maureen.  It's amazing how sharing them brings forth more anecdotes from others.  I don't think there is one of us who cannot remember Haircut and his animals and the not very nice conditions many of them were kept in. Have you looked for your old classmates on Friendsreunited?

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: Churchdown Girls School 1958-1963
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 03:18:28 AM »

Loved reading all the memories of Downham,

Keep on sharing your memories, Maureen.  It's amazing how sharing them brings forth more anecdotes from others.  I don't think there is one of us who cannot remember Haircut and his animals and the not very nice conditions many of them were kept in. Have you looked for your old classmates on Friendsreunited?

I seem to recall that there was a Maureen (Holmes?) lived on the corner of Shroffold and Churchdown.
I still keep in touch with Valerie Baldock we write every couple of months, just with news and updates.  She now lives near Southampton.
I was in touch with Rene Todd by email, she lived opposite me in Geraint Road, but suddenly got an email from her husband telling me that she had died suddenly , no other information and didn't feel I could interrogate the poor man. Rene went to Grove Park School (Coopers Lane I think).
My other friend Eileen Hughes, who lived in Gareth Grove went to Athelney School, and she now lives in Sutton at Hone. We were friends from when we were 5 yo, we would play around the 'greens' in Gareth grove in front of her house.
I don't really keep much in touch with others.  Churchdown pulled in girls from all over South London, I remember some from Brockley and New Cross.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.