Author Topic: All About Nothing: Mark 2  (Read 9227 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: All About Nothing: Mark 2
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 02:40:27 AM »
I remember back in the 60's a flood, Pam and I where courting then, we had to leave the car near Rushygreen and walk over the bridge to get to Stanstead rd. Water up to our knees soaking wet. The bottom of Southend lane was flooded and a car tried to drive through and got buried up to the roof. I had never seen it so bad before.

I can honestly say I do not remember a flood at all.  I do remember opening the front door and all the snow that had piled up on it fell into the hallway.  I tell my grandchildren about snow and they are all starry eyed.  OHH Gran you are lucky they say.  So my daughter (Nadine) and her husband (Gareth) are taking them skiing next month, they are so excited.  Nadine says it will be the spa and bar for her.  She's had enough of snow (and me too for that).  I haven't seen snow for 20 years!  Wonderful!!! 

But I do miss the smell of Bonfire night, and all the kids squealing with delight, and me standing outside with my fingers stuffed firmly in my ears. My Dad having to assure me that the smoldering remains of all the bonfires will not by some miracle flare up in the night and engulf us all.  The sale of fireworks is banned here, we have wonderful displays on Australia Day and at other times during the year, but we cannot have our own bonfire night.  Which is a shame. 
It was one way to keep the husbands happy, give them a bonfire and a stick, nowdays its just a BBQ and a rude pinny.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 09:11:39 AM »
Brenda, you were at the top of Durham Hill, opposite the "Dogs Home". with the water lapping around the step ??? What happened at St Luke's ! down the bottom Plum ?
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 09:56:48 AM »

But I do miss the smell of Bonfire night, and all the kids squealing with delight, and me standing outside with my fingers stuffed firmly in my ears. My Dad having to assure me that the smoldering remains of all the bonfires will not by some miracle flare up in the night and engulf us all.  The sale of fireworks is banned here, we have wonderful displays on Australia Day and at other times during the year, but we cannot have our own bonfire night.  Which is a shame. 
It was one way to keep the husbands happy, give them a bonfire and a stick, nowdays its just a BBQ and a rude pinny.

I agree, Pauline, the smell of November 5th was unique and although my mother refused to buy fireworks on the grounds they were a waste of money (we did get a packet of sparklers though), my sister and I were able to enjoy watching everybody else's.  I did, I confess, worry every year about boys throwing crackers at my legs.
We've just had some massive 'bonfires' i.e. rubbish wood collected from the paddocks and sitting in huge piles under fire season had finished.  Sometimes, the cows stand around them and we can practically see them rubbing their hooves together and saying, "By gum, it's good to have a warm up."

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 10:41:08 AM »
Brenda, you were at the top of Durham Hill, opposite the "Dogs Home". with the water lapping around the step ??? What happened at St Luke's ! down the bottom Plum ?

Yes, it was quite remarkable really, being so high up.  As I mentioned before, my friend's home in Pendragon Rd was in a bit of a state.