Author Topic: All About Nothing: Mark 2  (Read 9255 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
All About Nothing: Mark 2
« on: May 31, 2007, 11:31:22 AM »
Just one of my 'Hallo' everybody messages.  Trusting all is well out there in the world and sending my greetings from the cold and wet of Bayindeen.  It's woolly knicker time again.

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: All About Nothing: Mark 2
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 03:15:58 PM »
Just one of my 'Hallo' everybody messages.  Trusting all is well out there in the world and sending my greetings from the cold and wet of Bayindeen.  It's woolly knicker time again.

We were watching the cricket on Foxtel.  The test match between England and the Windies.  The commentator said it was 8 deg!  The fielders had hand warmers!   Almost a case of 'cold stopped play'.

I've been home from work all week with a cold, just beginning to feel human again today - doesn't matter which side of the world you live, the wretched cold still gets you, and you still feel as bad.  But of course then you have to get up and go out to the doctors (if you can get an appointment within 2 days)because you need a sick note.

I remember being taken to the doctors by my mother - to that lovely Dr Kelman on Burnt Ash Lane (Hill?) always get them muddled.  You would go into the little waiting room, count how many were in front of you, and then just sit and wait.  Later on when I got married and  moved to Sittingbourne, we would get a number as we went in and waited to be called, both these could knock a great chunk out of your day.
Then came Medical Centres, with numerous doctors there.  But you had to make an appointment - you could still wait for hours to be seen - but of course there is now the problem that you can't get an appointment for the same day, or even the next day.

Is it the same back in England nowdays?

BTW Mike - still not getting emotional!!!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 06:31:37 PM »
At my surgery we can make appointments for the day you phone or the following day - no more booking for five days time!  There are always emergency slots kept open so if you really need to see someone then if you phone early enough you can get one of those.  No more calling your doctor out at weekends or after hours - this is now provided by special out of hours doctors.  And don't you remember the days when the doctor always came to see you if you were too unwell to attend surgery - forget it, if your that bad then call an ambulance!

Oh - have we got cricket going on in this country again.  Can't imagine when they have been able to play as the temperature has plummeted (apparently it was colder than Alaska on Monday 28th - Bank Holiday) and we have had lots of rain. So we have gone from being one of the warmest countries in the world last week to one of the coldest. Fortunately I managed to go to Chelsea Flower Show the day before the weather changed and the weather was perfect.  Hopefully no hosepipe bans this summer though - we are awash!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 12:55:06 AM »

You would go into the little waiting room, count how many were in front of you, and then just sit and wait. 

Yes, the same at Dr Hockman's surgery.  And, as you say, we make appointments now but still have to wait way past appointment time before being seen.  I don't mind if I'm told on arrival there is a delay and approximately how long and have made that point many times.

In Dr Hockman's place, the consulting room was immediately next to the waiting room and everything that was said could be heard.  I think we all learned to turn a deaf ear. 

And, as you say Pauline, you have to plan to be sick, don't you.  That reminds me, I'm due for my annual check up in about 3 weeks - better phone for the appointment now!

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 02:44:33 AM »
I remember our Dr Pillsworth, surgery in Beckenham hill rd. He did a house call when I was a kid,came right to my bed, I was too ill to go to him so He came to us and told my Mum I had German measles, then he said to Her make sure He doesn't go near pregnant women, my poor old Victorian type mum nearly had a fit, my John doesn't go near pregnant women, He's to young. Of course that illness is a danger to pregnant women. It's nice and warm here,no rain.
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 06:49:24 AM »
Doctor Hockman made three housecalls to our place: one to me when I had appendicitis: one when my father died and one when my mother had pneumonia.  He never grumbled at being called out and was such a kind and understanding man. 

As you say, doctors simply don't make housecalls these days. Fings ain't wot they used ter be.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 06:20:43 AM »
Doctor Hockman made three housecalls to our place: one to me when I had appendicitis: one when my father died and one when my mother had pneumonia.  He never grumbled at being called out and was such a kind and understanding man. 

As you say, doctors simply don't make housecalls these days. Fings ain't wot they used ter be.

I was a sickly child.  Always had brochitis, probably because my mother wrapped me up too tightly and I couldn't get immune to the germs.  Doctor Kelman, and later Dr Buckland would always come round, at one stage I think my Mum had some sort of insurance for this, but I think it was before National Health.  Mum would give me something called Lantigen B, which was advertised on Radio Luxembourg, and also had Liqafruita (sp?) for my cough, which we believe subsequently rotted my teeth.  I was a really skinny kid, I was fed Parish's food and stuff, never put on an ounce, wish it were like that now!!!!!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 07:27:37 AM »
When did the National Health Service come into being?  Was it around 1948?
I remember having whooping cough and had a 'whoopy' cough for years. I caught a lot of colds too.  Actually, when we came out here, I had cold after cold after cold but, fortunately, that settled down and I hardly ever catch one these days.  Perhaps that's because I see so few people rather than having a robust immune system though.  Mind you, seeing so few people didn't stop me catching a bad dose of flu a couple of years ago.  I am sure it is that which did my thyroid in! 

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 09:35:54 AM »
Just been reading about that terrible train crash today - it just happens too often doesn't it?   There was one near Kalgoorlie last month, a woman was hit by a train because the lights weren't working. Apparently railway workers had been working on the lights and gates earlier in the day.  Those semi's and road trains just hurtle towards the crossing, and I doubt that they would have had time to stop even if they say the lights.  But a truckie friend of mine tells me they know what time the trains come - heaven help them if the train is early or late!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 11:39:02 AM »
Yes, it's very sad isn't it and yet another reminder that you never know when your end is coming.  You think it's going to be just another day and then wham! 

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 04:04:38 AM »
There are a lot of accidents at railroad crossings here, they have flashing red lights flashing at least 5 mins from when the train is going to pass, but cars still try to beat the train, it's a real ugly scene when they don't make it. The other problem is the, what seems a half mile long freight train derailing, they usually have tankers with chemical material aboard, and we have a line going right near to us. There have been a few derailments lately.  I agree with Brenda wham you never know when, but I'm not ready to go yet.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 06:58:01 AM »
Yes, everyone wants to beat the train.  Trouble is, the drivers don't just wipe themselves out, they take other people with them.

Another tragic accident on the old Pacific Highway last week when a section collapsed and a car carrying five members (three children) crashed down into a swollen creek.  No survivors.  Another 'wham' moment.

I guess none of us are really ever ready to go, are we?

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:31:58 AM »
Yes, everyone wants to beat the train.  Trouble is, the drivers don't just wipe themselves out, they take other people with them.

Another tragic accident on the old Pacific Highway last week when a section collapsed and a car carrying five members (three children) crashed down into a swollen creek.  No survivors.  Another 'wham' moment.

I guess none of us are really ever ready to go, are we?

I am amazed at the number of drivers who seem completely oblivious to their surroundings when driving.  We have several level crossings near us - with boom gates and flashing lights.  But it's not just the case of stopping when you should, its the fact that some drivers stop on the crossing when there is a traffic snarl up.  I always stop before the crossing, leaving enough room for the gates to close.  On several occasions recently the gates have come down trapping someone inside.  Drivers just never learn.

Brenda - you are not flooded are you?    I hate to think what the price of wine will be next season.  We are told that the 'glut' will be used and the prices will sky rocket.  It must be just terrible - all that water in your home, and nothing you can do about it.  I think I would just stand and whimper.  But as long as my dogs were ok I think I would cope (oh and the family too).  But it would seem that the bad weather is all on 'the other side'.  We are short of rain again, and none in sight.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 06:23:35 AM »
We are alright here, Pauline, just steady 'normal' rain.  It's the Hunter Valley in NSW that has copped it very badly.  It would have been very scary indeed.  Our house is off the ground about two feet so from that point of view, it would have to be pretty bad to get inside.  Can't imagine how awful it must be when that happens. Like you, I'd be desperate to get my dogs to safety.  Part of our property is on the rise and I guess I'd have to get the livestock up there if necessary.  Still, we aren't near any rivers. Do have a creek that runs through and have seen that in flood.  Will see if I can find the picture.

Does anyone else remember Downham flooding?  I think we might have talked about it before.  As we were at the top end of Durham  Hill, the water only lapped at our back step.  My friend's house in Pendragon Road got a few inches inside.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 02:06:14 AM »
I remember back in the 60's a flood, Pam and I where courting then, we had to leave the car near Rushygreen and walk over the bridge to get to Stanstead rd. Water up to our knees soaking wet. The bottom of Southend lane was flooded and a car tried to drive through and got buried up to the roof. I had never seen it so bad before.