Author Topic: Picture from Brenda  (Read 22072 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Picture from Brenda
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2007, 11:52:21 AM »
Hilarious anecdote!  I guess that's just as bad as feeling something crawling up your back under your clothes and having to find out what it is. I must have another look at that website meself as some of the culprits have been very large spiders but not hairy, more pink - look like rubber actually.  I did think we had a spider in the bed when I stripped it once.  Had to put on my specs to check.  Turned out to be a scorpion.  Oh, if only all our insects were as nice as stag beetles.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2007, 11:54:48 AM »
I used to be scared of anything crawly but out here, you have to develop some sort of acceptance or you'd go potty (agree, Pauline?).
Now, if something isn't life threatening, then I don't consider it worth worrying about.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2007, 04:45:06 AM »
I was very brave (having been scared of spiders all my life) and looked at the website - how many types of huntsmen are there - it must be a prerequisite of visiting Oz that you read up on them first.  Needless to say I didn't look too closely at the pictures. I knew there were some pretty nasty spiders living over there - just from watching Neighbours! Yes - I admit - I watch Neighbours and have done since it started but now the BBC is talking about dropping it as the Australian company wants 80,000 per episode.  I now feel dreadfully embarrassed at watching it as I am always complaining about the licence fee (that's what you do when you become a grumpy old woman!) and the quality of programmes generally.  Oh well, just have to learn to live without it.  At least I don't have to face huntsmen every day..........

Huntsman are quite harmless, just a bit scary.
We don't pay licence fees!!!!  I don't know of anyone who watches Neighbours or Home and Away
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2007, 04:50:11 AM »
I used to be scared of anything crawly but out here, you have to develop some sort of acceptance or you'd go potty (agree, Pauline?).
Now, if something isn't life threatening, then I don't consider it worth worrying about.
Yes, you never know whats about.  I was just pulling a few weeks a while back and upset a large bobtail (lizard) he swore at me.
At the moment we have frogs under my kitchen window (I love frogs), we have ferns and palms there, and it stays very wet.  I think they are called moaning frogs, they make a sort of 'WOOO' noise, there must be about 4 or 5 of them, they only make the noise at night. We had a baby green frog on the window last week.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2007, 05:37:48 AM »
I love frogs too and often come across them in the garden when I'm on my earwig destroying missions after dark.  The small dam isn't far from the house and  that keeps lots of frogs very happy - and noisy. 

I haven't heard of that sort of lizard. We get the blue-tongues, the stumpies, the skinks and frill-necks - although haven't seen any of the latter for a long time.

Snakes here are mainly the tiger, brown, red-bellied black and have come across another one whose name I don't know.  I am thankful we don't have taipans or pythons.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2007, 11:52:10 PM »
It looks like you Ladies have your own wildlife park, especially when you compare it to living here in Canada or England. I guess you have to adapt to the spiders and other animals pretty quick.
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2007, 02:27:39 AM »
You'd have snakes there though, wouldn't you?  And what about bears, Smiffy?
And mountain lions?  Or are they only in the USA?

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2007, 02:44:37 AM »
It looks like you Ladies have your own wildlife park, especially when you compare it to living here in Canada or England. I guess you have to adapt to the spiders and other animals pretty quick.

Bobtails are also called blue tongues - same lizard.  We have quite a few, I am told they keep the snakes away, which seems reasonable because I never saw one snake last summer.

What part of Ontario are you Smiffy?  My sister lived in Toronto - Don Mills.  I last visited in 1967 - Centenary year, the Queen visited, and had to stand in her full coronation robes, crown an' all in 106 deg temperatures. The TDC only had one and a half towers then.  I loved Simpson's and Eatons, had never seen anything like that kind of shops, and the mall at Yorkdale (?) was just amazing.  Now of course its usual to have that sort of shopping centre.  It's funny how fate plays a hand, if my sister hadn't died when she did we could be there instead of downunder.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2007, 11:03:30 AM »
I believe it was Don Burke who said lizards keeping snakes away is a myth.  And from my own experience, I would say he is right.  More's the pity.

I once read an article  (Reader's Digest) in which an American farmer said, "A pig will slurp up a snake like a string of spaghetti."  I thought, alright, I wouldn't mind having a pig around if it means we and the doggies are safer so I asked the vet.  He looked at me as if I was completely bonkers.

Any rain over there Pauline?  We're doing alright here at the moment: tanks are full, not much movement in the dams but the underground spring is running faster.  Lot s of puddles and we can practically here the grass growing.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2007, 11:54:47 PM »
I live east of Toronto Pauline, right near Lake Ontario, so we do not see many wild animals. They are more up in the Northern parts, you will see grizzlies there and moose and some of the different Cats the wild type so you have to be carefull when you go camping, Bears will walk into a camp site if it smells food, some people have been killed by them, there are some snakes. We seem to hear more of the Bear problem over in British Columbia which is the other side of Canada to the west. We are not out in the wild as compared to you guys Brenda, Pauline. We do have Deer wondering around sometimes, especially where there are lots of trees.  It's all a lot different from the old country isn't it, does this make us pioneers  :)?.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2007, 05:54:03 AM »
I live east of Toronto Pauline, right near Lake Ontario, so we do not see many wild animals. They are more up in the Northern parts, you will see grizzlies there and moose and some of the different Cats the wild type so you have to be carefull when you go camping, Bears will walk into a camp site if it smells food, some people have been killed by them, there are some snakes. We seem to hear more of the Bear problem over in British Columbia which is the other side of Canada to the west. We are not out in the wild as compared to you guys Brenda, Pauline. We do have Deer wondering around sometimes, especially where there are lots of trees.  It's all a lot different from the old country isn't it, does this make us pioneers  :)?.

I do remember my sister always kept huge tins of tomato jiuce in her fridge :wink:

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2007, 05:56:49 AM »

Any rain over there Pauline?  We're doing alright here at the moment: tanks are full, not much movement in the dams but the underground spring is running faster.  Lot s of puddles and we can practically here the grass growing.

Raining cats and dogs here.  Wondeful my tanks are full and I can at last have a bath!!!!!  It's still quite warm too 22 deg today.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2007, 08:25:51 AM »
I am delighted for you. Did we ever really wake up and say, "Oh  no, it's raining again"?

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2007, 08:36:40 AM »
I am delighted for you. Did we ever really wake up and say, "Oh  no, it's raining again"?
No never, not ever!  Even after all these years it's still amusing to hear the weather girl say "And I'm sorry there's still no sign of any rain". 
But it is nice, in the summer, to be able to say "Next weekend well go to the beach or whatever"  And NOT say "Next weekend if its nice, we'll go to the beach".

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2007, 09:09:37 PM »
I do remember my sister always kept huge tins of tomato jiuce in her fridge

Right Pauline I forgot the Skunks, cor blimey what a smell, if they got mad or run over they let off an aw full smell. The Tomato juice is kept especially for the dog if he or she got sprayed then they would have to have a bath in the juice to get rid of the smell.