Author Topic: Picture from Brenda  (Read 22108 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: Picture from Brenda
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 03:59:00 AM »
Greetings Brenda,

Re Cafe Continental..... It ran From 1947-53 and aired for 45 minutes.

Emcee:            Al Burnett
Maitre d'hotel:  Claude  Frederic  and Pere August
Presenter:        Helen Cordet

By my math, you were three when it started and nine when it finished. You must have been one of the luckier ones with a TV set.

Happy belated birthday !

Graham A, Canada

I don't remember a time when we didn't have a TV.  The first one had a little tiny screen - I think it was a Consul or some such make.  Programmes were dreadful, mainly discussions and panel games, Cafe Continental was the only programme of entertainment.   It's funny because I was discussion Children's programmes with my 11yo grandson at the weekend, and he was shocked that we only had 15 minutes of Watch with Mother at lunch time, and I think we had another 15 minutes after school, but I'm a bit hazy on what the programmes would have been.Later we had a converter box put on top so that we could get commercial TV.    Later my Mum bought a Morphy Richards bubble type TV, very 50s orange and it stood on one 'leg'.  So I told everyone we had a colour TV.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 06:01:55 AM »
Hallo Graham,

I've been trying to work things out.  We didn't have a television in 1953.  I know that because we went to my uncle's place to watch the Coronation; he had bought one for the occasion and we crammed into his tiny 'front' room with lots of his neighbours.   My parents bought one after that but I had always thought it was a year or two later.  Maybe not.  Maybe I remember the programme from the 2nd half of 1953.

Hallo Pauline,

Love the 'colour' television!  That's a hoot.  It seems so odd now to think we had to turn the televisions on early to warm them up and draw curtains to get a good picture. And my mother lived in fear of the tube blowing and from what she said, I thought it would explode across the room and kill us all if it did.  One Christmas the tube did go, and we went back to doing what we did before TV i.e. playing cards and ludo etc and actually talking to each other.  It was a great Christmas.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 11:57:56 AM »
I had a friend living in Lentmead whom I thought must be terribly rich because she had a TV, albeit one with a magnifying screen in front.  My aunt and uncle living in Bellingham also had one (they also had a car - which when parked outside our house used to draw a crowd of kids).  I sometimes wish we could go back to the 'simple' TVs though especially now we have to have so much 'gear' stashed away in the corner to make the TV/DVD/Video etc. work.  We bought a digi box last year in order to see more programmes as himself is not keen on Sky etc. which has caused no end of headache.  We have wired, unwired, plugged, unplugged everything living behind the TV but still cannot get everything to work!  Its all a case of pushing buttons (in no particular order) and having a good swear before something starts to work!  The video recorder has given up the ghost but I refuse to buy another DVD player which records as well as plays.  What we need is a bright 20 something to fiddle with the wiring and sorting it out - or maybe a 5 year old could probably do it now!
Chris

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 01:23:08 AM »
Hee hee, Chris.  Yes, you definitely need a five year old to sort out the techno-stuff.  Give Poppy a few more years, and you'll be able to call on her for help!

I find the handpieces an absolutely nightmare and we are forever losing them.  Because we can't get television here (our neighbours can but we are in a pocket that has no reception), we had to get a satellite dish and get free-to-air television through that.  That means a decoder etc.  Because with this system, you can't watch one programme and record another, we have the same system set up in another room in order to do so.  Sometimes - as one does - one wanders from one room to another with a remote control in the hand and then spend ages wondering why you can't get anything to work.  Penny drops - wrong remote (or wrong room).
Television viewing used to be so simple, didn't it?  Turn a switch and you watched whatever was on for as long as it was on and turned it off again.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 05:57:36 AM »

Sometimes - as one does - one wanders from one room to another with a remote control in the hand and then spend ages wondering why you can't get anything to work.  Penny drops - wrong remote (or wrong room).
Television viewing used to be so simple, didn't it?  Turn a switch and you watched whatever was on for as long as it was on and turned it off again.

My husband Peter is a real techno-clot.  We have free to air and Foxtel and the times I sit there and watch him swearing and cursing that the 'TV has broken', or "What have you done with it" only to realise that he has the wrong remote in his hand.  I bought one of those wonderful remotes that you can programme to do everything, and you only need the one remote.  Now if I can only figure out how to programme it!!!!!

We have another TV set up in another room complete with DVD and VHS recorders, this is especially for the grandthings when they sleep over, because they don't want to sit through the footy or the cricket (who can blame them) however at the moment they don't want to go in there because a huntsman has taken up residence. 

However, as I write this I can hear the Anzac footy game on both TVs, he is 'pottering' today (for UK members - its a public holiday today here) so I might just go and prune the roses.

Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 11:24:53 AM »
Ah, those huntsmen can be jolly useful at times, can't they?

I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw them.  My first job outside the migrant hostel was in a nursing home - one of those huge old houses that would have been very grand in its day but was run-down and ... well, you know the sort of places that used to be considered alright for the old folk.  Anyway, the place was riddled with huntsmen.  Everytime we turned a patient in the bed, it seemed to bring them  out in large numbers and at full speed. I was terrified.  Nowadays, I don't worry about them at all.  If only everything in Australia was as harmless, eh?

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 10:54:06 PM »
Yes, Smiffy.  That's my answer to anyone who complains about getting old - just think about those who didn't.  Besides, ageing (apart from the creaks and the incipient Alzheimer's etc) has its compensations, don't you think?

Bren

Absolutely right Brenda, at my age and being retired my Wife and I enjoy a lot of time together. We do a little shopping,  eat out, take it easy, then we welcome the weekend to get over it. And to keep up with the forum, I don't like the telly much now, it seems we are always watching adverts. :lol:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 11:02:56 PM by JSmith »
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 06:41:29 PM »
Brenda - I am a little worried about all these stories concerning huntsmen.  I used to work for the joint master of the Crawley & Horsham Hunt several years ago and I don't remember him causing any old folk grief.  He certainly upset several foxes as I recall which is why I was happy to leave his employ!  I assume 'huntsmen' in Australia don't go charging around on horses shouting tallyho!
Chris

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 11:11:49 PM »
Hee hee.  I now have a wonderful image of our huge spiders on horseback riding off into the sunset!  If only I could draw.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2007, 03:36:20 AM »
Hee hee.  I now have a wonderful image of our huge spiders on horseback riding off into the sunset!  If only I could draw.

Bren

I'm quite sure they could though!  I took a picture of mine, and the eyes glowed!  I will try to do another with something that shows how big it is, the last one was a bit blurry (or it could be that I was shaking).  They have this annoying habit of jumping at you, and although they are completely harmless (except for the odd heart attack) it comes as a bit of a shock.
My Peter was driving along the freeway when one crawled onto his head, he brushed it off into the car, and it vanished.  You can imagine how paranoia sets in.  I was really not happy being in that car for some time, eventually we found it and rehoused it.  The one in the TV room is about 10cm from foot to foot, the body is about 3cms. Peter leaves water for it!!!!!   I hope its a male, I wouldn't like to think it was a female and may well have thousands of the critters on it's back!!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2007, 05:46:22 AM »
I did hear that the huntsman will only jump on people who are afraid of spiders.  In other words, they are trying to be friendly.  I'm not sure we can give too much credence to this bit of folk-lore told to me by a true-blue Aussie when I first came over.  A fair bit of leg-pulling went on with the new arrivals.

I must admit, when we had a huntsman setting up her nest in the laundry room, I couldn't for shame brush it down and we ended up with dozens and dozens of babies all over the place. They soon migrated though.

Yes, the eyes do glow in the dark.  I do a torchlight garden wander each night to catch earwigs on my chrysanthemums and often come across the spiders as well.  Come across a few long wigglies an' all.

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2007, 01:17:52 PM »
OK girls so your huntsmen don't wear red coats - but I think just to be on the safe side we should have a picture from one of you so that we know what to look out for when we are buying Aussie wine - just in case one has arrived in a crate!  Its getting warmer here now so wine consumption is on the up and I feel I should know what they look like whilst I am sober!
Chris

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
Have a look at www.amonline.net.au, there's a good picture of one there.  Or perhaps Pauline can oblige for the benefit of all viewers!  One was sitting on Syd's back today and when I attempted to flick it off, it ran up and over his head instead of down.  Yep, it did rather startle him. 

I have learnt the hard way that one should check the toilet roll before using it.  No, the worst did not happen but I did get a bite on the hand by a very defensive - but smallish - hairy spider, and who could blame it?  It felt as if a needle had gone into my flesh.  No ill effects though.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 09:12:24 AM »
Have a look at www.amonline.net.au, there's a good picture of one there.  Or perhaps Pauline can oblige for the benefit of all viewers!  One was sitting on Syd's back today and when I attempted to flick it off, it ran up and over his head instead of down.  Yep, it did rather startle him. 

I have learnt the hard way that one should check the toilet roll before using it.  No, the worst did not happen but I did get a bite on the hand by a very defensive - but smallish - hairy spider, and who could blame it?  It felt as if a needle had gone into my flesh.  No ill effects though.

Bren
That is a really good website.  Just put huntsman in the search area and up they all come (not quite literally).  I will try and get a picture, but haven't seen him/her for a few days, but will do it when she/he reappears.
You know - some years back, when we lived near Sittingbourne, there was a stag type beetle dead on the front doorstep, I went out the back entrance until Peter removed it.  Now ---- well heaven only knows what we will find under a stone.
We had visitors from England last summer.  Chris would like to sit up and watch the TV (lord only knows why with the rubbish we get), we all went to bed, so did her husband John.  At about 1am she went up to bed, and there on the door handle was a huntsman, she was immobilised (Chris not the huntsman) she then thought she would have to go downstairs again, when she came back up it was still there, so she thought she would go to another room, and there was one there on the light switch (bit of a shock that I can tell you, go to turn the light on and your hand touches something furry), by this time her nerves were a bit worse for wear, and ended up bunking in with her daughter.  I send her a picture every now and again, I don't warn her just send a picture on and email.  Wakes her up I can tell you!

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 11:44:24 AM »
I was very brave (having been scared of spiders all my life) and looked at the website - how many types of huntsmen are there - it must be a prerequisite of visiting Oz that you read up on them first.  Needless to say I didn't look too closely at the pictures. I knew there were some pretty nasty spiders living over there - just from watching Neighbours! Yes - I admit - I watch Neighbours and have done since it started but now the BBC is talking about dropping it as the Australian company wants 80,000 per episode.  I now feel dreadfully embarrassed at watching it as I am always complaining about the licence fee (that's what you do when you become a grumpy old woman!) and the quality of programmes generally.  Oh well, just have to learn to live without it.  At least I don't have to face huntsmen every day..........