Author Topic: All about nothing  (Read 6093 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
All about nothing
« on: May 16, 2007, 05:09:54 AM »
It seems none of us has anything of note to talk about at the moment. So, I'm just checking in to say 'hallo' if nothing else.  Dare I talk about the weather?  Yes? Well, it's raining and raining and raining.  Not too much here but some nearby towns have been awash. 

It has come at the right time as we have sown ten acres of pasture and I've also hand-sown much of that with a very, very fine seed.    Now the cockies are down in their hundreds to dig it up and eat it.

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: All about nothing
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 06:18:37 AM »
It seems none of us has anything of note to talk about at the moment. So, I'm just checking in to say 'hallo' if nothing else.  Dare I talk about the weather?  Yes? Well, it's raining and raining and raining.  Not too much here but some nearby towns have been awash. 

It has come at the right time as we have sown ten acres of pasture and I've also hand-sown much of that with a very, very fine seed.    Now the cockies are down in their hundreds to dig it up and eat it.

Where abouts are you Brenda?  I must admit I know nothing about 'the other side'.
We have had nice rainfalls in April, well over the average, May hasn't been too bad, but we need heaps to make up for previous years.  The WA government has just decided to build another desalinisation plant.  Its sunny and 20 deg today.  We have a fair size section of the property put aside for veggies, and we have to get that turned over this month and get it fertilised, we only have sand here, and lots of it.
You sow pasture, do you have cattle?
I am afraid I would not make a very good animal farmer.  Someone asked me the other day if I have horses, and I said that they would damage the carpet!  SOOK! All the strays for miles come to us, and turn up at our gates.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 11:38:01 AM »
We are in what is known as the Central Highlands district of Victoria, between Ballarat and Ararat.  It's a small place called Bayindeen which most people in Ararat (our nearest town) have never heard of. 

We have 36 acres, some of it very sandy soil.  We put down abut 10acres each year to make hay and run a few sheep and cattle.  We've cut right down on livestock for obvious reasons.  Now we have 14 sheep, two heifers, one cow, three steers and a bull.  Two cows and two steers were sent to market a week ago.  It should have been three cows but a certainly fellow who shall not be named but whose initials are SE did not shut gates after him during the process of getting them up the race and into the truck and the lot of them hoofed it out of the yard to freedom. We got all back one cow and decided it simply wasn't worth the chase to catch her again.  She is still looking at me very suspiciously.

I loathe, absolutely loathe sending the cows away.  I am very fond of the  beasts and as they trust me implicitly, I have to be the Judas goat.  The only way I cope is to refuse to think about them once they have gone.  Easier said than done.  If we had hundreds of acres, I'd put them into a retirement paddock.  Ha ha.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 12:52:14 PM »
Your right - everything is quiet at the moment. Have to say I think a lot of people have that dreadful abduction of little Madeline in Portugal on our minds right now.  I know that we are constantly watching the news on TV as are many of our friends in the hope that there is some good news.  There are some very evil people in the world.

We here in the old country, having spent several weeks enjoying glorious weather in what has been the warmest April on record and feeling confident that we could at last get the patio furniture and barbecues out, rush to the nearest supermarket and buy up everything that might fit onto said barbecue have again been caught out and just spent about the last five days awash!  Didn't you say recently Pauline that the joy of living in Oz was that you could actually make arrangements week on, week on. I think we were beginning to feel like that but, there you go...........  Actually, you may or may not know down under, that there was a minor earthquake in Kent a few weeks ago which caused some structural damage so it seems we are really getting everything here.

By the way, Brenda, I am right in thinking you are near Ballarat aren't I?  Victoria Wood has just done a program on TV about all the places around the world that were once part of our great and glorious Empire (specifically those named after Queen V) and she turned up in Ballarat (can't see the connection!).  Seems it was the centre of the gold mining industry - got any left????

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 11:16:04 PM »
Yes Chris, we are near Ballarat. It's about 80kms away and is where Syd works.  There is a statue of Queen Victoria in the main street which is Victoria Street and there's the usual Victoria Park etc.  Don't know if there is any other connection though.

The gold is still being mined and fossickers still come up with the occasional nugget in what is known as the Golden Triangle.  Ararat was also built during the gold rush.  No mines now.  I'm always looking for the glint on our place but no luck yet!  Perhaps I have to dig deeper.

We heard about the earth tremor.  What next?  Bushfires in Orpington?

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 04:09:07 AM »
We only have 8 acres, mostly left to bush, banksia and woolly bully.  The woolly bully looks awlful, but the birds love it so we leave it there. They also love the grevillia, but ours went ferral, so I had to chop it back a bit.  Oh and the Jacarandas- no words can descibe them.

It always amazes me how very 'english' Australia is.  By this I mean the names of streets and towns. The monachy was so revered in the old days, there are Victoria this and that, there is a town Elizabeth, but I have a sneeky feeling in the back of my mind that this was named after some explorers wife.  But I must admit I get cross at the mispronunciation - we have a Malaga, pronounced here as Malarger.  Maroon is pronounced marone, and debut is deeboo, eeekkk!  My family tell me I am a grammar nazi.
But you know, I wouldn't swop this country for anything!!!!!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 04:12:49 AM »
Your right - everything is quiet at the moment. Have to say I think a lot of people have that dreadful abduction of little Madeline in Portugal on our minds right now.  I know that we are constantly watching the news on TV as are many of our friends in the hope that there is some good news.  There are some very evil people in the world.

This is the most terrible thing.  We here are all watching and waiting.  Its just so incomprehensible that there is absolutely no trace, nothing!!!!  It is almost as if she just vanished into thin air.  I do so hope that its a couple who just want a child who have taken her, and not some moron who has other ideas for her.  I check the news all the time hoping that she has been found alive and well.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 04:17:28 AM »
Well by the sound of it all things a quieter in Canada, it either rains or the sun comes out. Our Son Mark bought Pam & I a 45 inch HDTV, me  for my birthday and Pam for Mothers day. By the way happy Mothers day for Sunday if that is when you guys held it .  I have the picture of Madeline on my desk top I hope it helps for her to be found alive and well, a terrible ordeal for all concerned.
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 10:05:33 AM »
My family tell me I am a grammar nazi.
[/quote]

Me too for the first and me neither for the second!  I believe much of the Aussie pronunciation comes from the Irish settlers way back when, you can really catch the similarities at times. What grieves me most is the way Americanisms are racing into the language.  I'll take broad Strine any day over that.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 03:56:07 PM »
My family tell me I am a grammar nazi.
Me too for the first and me neither for the second!  I believe much of the Aussie pronunciation comes from the Irish settlers way back when, you can really catch the similarities at times. What grieves me most is the way Americanisms are racing into the language.  I'll take broad Strine any day over that.
[/quote]
I found it is remarkably like a broad Cockney accent but unlike my Mothers Irish undertones, but I could have lived there and enjoyed it   dickie..................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)