Author Topic: Picture from Brenda  (Read 20567 times)

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
Picture from Brenda
« on: December 26, 2006, 01:09:54 PM »
Received this recently from Bren - Syd swimming in a dam down under. We're not jealous really...

« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 01:14:26 PM by mike »

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Picture from Brenda
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 03:10:26 AM »
Lucky whatsit, it's 0 degrees here!.  :)
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 08:45:35 PM »
This is not a 2006 photo, Smiffy.  In fact, we had the coldest Christmas day on record. It was bleak and we had to light the fire. There were also good snowfalls, even where the fires are still burning.  However, we've also had many days warm enough to take a dip in the dam and the temperatures are forecast to rise again soon.

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 09:13:02 AM »
This is not a 2006 photo, Smiffy.  In fact, we had the coldest Christmas day on record. It was bleak and we had to light the fire. There were also good snowfalls, even where the fires are still burning.  However, we've also had many days warm enough to take a dip in the dam and the temperatures are forecast to rise again soon.Bren
Cor fancy, our Bren swimming in the Dam and the temperatures were rising ! ! anything else Syd ?. and I hope you won't have to use the dam to subdue the flames Plum   dickie............X
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 03:34:16 AM »
There's a lot less water in the dam at the moment, that's for sure.  However, there's enough for our cool off. We must have taken advantage of it half a dozen times yesterday.  It's a life-saver, particularly for me as I'm not handling the heat too well in my dotage.

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 09:36:42 AM »
There's a lot less water in the dam at the moment, that's for sure.  However, there's enough for our cool off. We must have taken advantage of it half a dozen times yesterday.  It's a life-saver, particularly for me as I'm not handling the heat too well in my dotage.Bren
                                                                          Come come madam, at ?3 you are enjoying the warmth of lifes late summer ,as long as you and the dogs keep ahead of the tigers and other wrigglies you are winning                                     dickie................X
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:47:53 AM by Dickie eagle »
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 04:44:32 AM »
63, Dickie, 63 -  delighted to have reached it(I have friends who never made it this far and so am not complaining!) and don't mind who knows it.

Also delighted with 7mls of rain yesterday evening.  That might not sound like much but it's more than we've had for a while.  Trouble is, now it's increased the humidity and it feels more like tropical Queensland that 'mild' Victoria.

Bren 

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 03:54:11 AM »
63, Dickie, 63 -  delighted to have reached it(I have friends who never made it this far and so am not complaining!) and don't mind who knows it.

Well said Brenda, I will be 62 this year and often think of friends of mine who did not make it.
A very grateful to be around smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 09:22:23 AM »
Yes, Smiffy.  That's my answer to anyone who complains about getting old - just think about those who didn't.  Besides, ageing (apart from the creaks and the incipient Alzheimer's etc) has its compensations, don't you think?

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 02:48:14 AM »
Yes, Smiffy.  That's my answer to anyone who complains about getting old - just think about those who didn't.  Besides, ageing (apart from the creaks and the incipient Alzheimer's etc) has its compensations, don't you think?

Bren

Me too - I was 63 on 8th April.  As I sit in the garden I think of that old Marice Chevalier song from Gigi "I'm glad I'm not young anymore"  - especially with these wrinkles, I might look a tad strange.

Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 07:57:05 AM »
What was that programme on which Maurice Chevalier often appeared on early television? Was it "In Town Tonight"?  Does anyone remember it? 

I have to say, when I had my 60th birthday, I found myself feeling quite liberated from worrying about things that do not matter e.g. hair turning white; freckles; being saggy,haggy and baggy etc.  Who was it said youth was wasted on the young?

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 03:48:53 AM »
What was that programme on which Maurice Chevalier often appeared on early television? Was it "In Town Tonight"?  Does anyone remember it? 

I have to say, when I had my 60th birthday, I found myself feeling quite liberated from worrying about things that do not matter e.g. hair turning white; freckles; being saggy,haggy and baggy etc.  Who was it said youth was wasted on the young?

Bren

Was it Cafe Continental?  I seem to recall that was the only variety programme n.  Helen Cordet was the compare.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 11:15:54 PM »
That might well be right, Pauline.  It was set up as a restaurant type thing with the guests at small tables. In Town Tonight was more an interview type programme, wasn't it?  Yes, the more I think about it, the more correct Cafe Continental sounds.
Thank you.

Bren

Graham

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 01:43:32 AM »
Greetings Brenda,

Re Cafe Continental..... It ran From 1947-53 and aired for 45 minutes.

Emcee:            Al Burnett
Maitre d'hotel:  Claude  Frederic  and Pere August
Presenter:        Helen Cordet

By my math, you were three when it started and nine when it finished. You must have been one of the luckier ones with a TV set.

Happy belated birthday !

Graham A, Canada
Graham A

Graham

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 01:46:58 AM »
The "Happy belated Birthday"   was for Pauline.....sorry Brenda, don't know yours....  Graham A.
Graham A