Author Topic: Is anybody there?  (Read 18516 times)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is anybody there?
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006, 06:49:45 AM »
Morning all, Pauline is right to delve into our originswhich can turn up some surprises. my maternal grandfather "Lost" a brother also named Harry (Linihan ) I think I told Brenda he is buried in Ballarat ,I traced him through his last ship the White Star "Saxonia "  my mothers brother Dick joined him just as the war 1 broke out and he enlisted as an Anzac and was draughted to UK en route for France . Bren would you like me to locate your Gran in Hither Green ? some of the older graves are sadly neglected, brrr! think  my ashes can go off Tower Bridge back to when I started eh .    dickie,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,X
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2006, 02:07:20 AM »
Hallo Dickie,

If it isn't too much of a hassle to locate an old grave, it would be rather lovely to know something about it. As I said, neither my father nor his siblings (as far as I know) gave it any attention but my elderly cousin says she was buried in the Hither Green Cemetery.  That makes sense as she lived only a couple of streets away when she died.  Thank you Dickie.  I believe I have said before it has long been my intention to have a look at the Old Ballarat Cemetery and I'd be happy to see if I could locate your uncle's grave when I eventually make the effort and the trip down to Ballarat.
Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2006, 09:41:32 AM »
 :lol:   Bren, I need Grans full name Plum, or was it Harris ?
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2006, 11:37:48 PM »
Hallo Dickie,

I've just had one of those 'duh' moments I read so much about!  I told you I should be called No-Brain Bren, didn't it? 

Gran's name was Rosina Hand nee Biddle.  Do you need date of death or anything else?  I do have information although it is packed with all the other irreplaceable stuff, ready to be grabbed should fire come through.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2006, 03:45:47 AM »

Gran's name was Rosina Hand nee Biddle.  Do you need date of death or anything else?  I do have information although it is packed with all the other irreplaceable stuff, ready to be grabbed should fire come through.

Bren

Funny the things we have to think of down here.  I have a big holdall with all my old photos and documents in it.  I also have CDs of all the newer photos in it too.  Ready to grab and run with when the firees tell us out or stay.  I also have display cabinets full of vases and stuff - but you have to draw the line somewhere.  We have the land around the house cleared, but the embers are the problem.  Nothing serious came our way last year, but the year before a fire got just a little too close for comfort.  As the house is brick and tile I think we might stay.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2006, 09:04:47 PM »
Yes, the photos are absolutely irreplaceable.  Like you, Pauline, I've copied some to CD and have stored one copy at my sister's place.  Mind you, there have been some fires around where she lives in Ararat so it's no guarantee.  However, I'm just hoping we don't both go up in smoke at the same time.  I also have a case with things of sentimental value such as my prize books from Pendragon and my one and only letter from my father etc. 

Our house in weatherboard and sits right on a heavily wooded road, with years'worth of fallen branches etc, which is where our biggest danger will come from.  As you know we are not allowed to cut down trees and there are several large gums only a few feet away on the other side of the road.  If I have to leave there is only one place to go and that is to a paddock where there is little grass, few trees and a small green area over where the underground spring runs. 

Having said that, about 4 years ago when fire got to within 1/2km as the crow flies, I stayed with the buckets and the hoses and the ladder against the side of the house in case embers landed on the roof.  Syd had gone off to join his CFA team and I guess I was more confident because the water bombers were on the job.   All I can say is, thank heaven for the wind-change. 

Hope you are keeping safe over west.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2006, 12:44:10 AM »

Hope you are keeping safe over west.

Bren

So far so good.  I guess you read that we had a huge fire in the hills yesterday.  One house was completely destroyed, and two others severely damaged.  The sickening thing this morning is that a 58 year old local was arrested for starting the fire.  And, unfortunately, that usually is the cause of all these fires.  The ones over your side I think were lightening strikes, but 9 times out of 10 some sicko starts them, then hangs around to see the devastation they cause, luckily the authorities are aware of this fact, and a lot of them get caught.  But I don't think the penalties are strict enough.  They should be charged with attempted murder at the very least, or let the residents at them!

Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2006, 10:01:07 PM »
Yes,Pauline, did hear about it.  We tend to think it's young people who start these fires off, don't we?  You'd think at the age of 58 yrs. a bit of common sense and decency and responsibility would prevail.  We 've just heard there was a local grass fire that two tankers went out to at 2.30am.  Now, we know there wasn't any lightning so what else can you presume other than a firebug is about. It's scary. 

Sentencing?  Personally, if I caught a firebug at it, I'd be sticking their hands in the flames! 

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2007, 09:29:40 AM »
Ah, the Dandy and the Beano.  What memories they bring back.  I still have a Girls' Crystal annual (remember that ladies?) which was an Xmas present from my parents.  We always got a new book at Christmas.  I'm afraid it never feels like the festive season to me out here.  Never had - never will.Bren
[/quote]I still have copies of the Rupert annual.  I read them to my children, and now they read them to their children.  They are getting a bit tatty now though.
The weather here is Perth is getting warm 32deg today, although we are expecting a thunderstorm later this afternoon.  The fruit trees are beginning to sprout little berries, so I have hung old CDs over them to try to keep the birds away from them, although I think they birds are getting wise to that trick.Went back to England again last month, my Uncle died at the beginning of October.  Still don't miss the place.[/quote]
I still have a Hardback with a picture on the front called "Friend or Foe " from Mr. Hall at Launcelot he inscribed it "from Sir to Dicky " (Not from Mr. Hall ! ) I glowed when I got it and it's still a happy memory BUT, what do I do with it ?       dickie........................