Author Topic: Fires  (Read 4678 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Fires
« on: February 05, 2007, 06:53:15 AM »
Hallo Pauline,

How are things with you out west at present?  Things sound pretty bad in many areas.  Hope you are keeping safe.

There's a fire in 'our' mountain at present but it hasn't topped the ridge to our side as yet.  Can't see any flames, just plumes of smoke. 

The 'precious' cases are at the back door, and the key is in the 4WD just in case.

I would like to see one of those lovely water-bombing planes coming over to help but I think they are all very busy elsewhere.  Roll on winter.

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fires
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 03:26:41 PM »
Hallo Pauline,How are things with you out west at present?  Things sound pretty bad in many areas.  Hope you are keeping safe.There's a fire in 'our' mountain at present but it hasn't topped the ridge to our side as yet.  Can't see any flames, just plumes of smoke. 
The 'precious' cases are at the back door, and the key is in the 4WD just in case.
I would like to see one of those lovely water-bombing planes coming over to help but I think they are all very busy elsewhere.  Roll on winter.Bren
                      Hi Brenda, sorry you are having a worrying time with Fires. just think of all the toast you and Muriel could make. Here it is F-f-f-freezing and I have a horrible cough and a runny nose,! in fact with my name it is probably Bird Flu'. I will leave you all with a thought,did you hear about the Yorkshire man who migrated to Downham, could not get any Yorkshire Pudding so he went back and battered himself to death ! !      dickie    ...........X
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 05:51:13 AM »
Oh Dickie, whatever are we  going to do with you?  I must pass that one on to Syd, he'll love it.

Well, the planes came in later yesterday and water-bombed the fire, and I could hear them this morning.  The fire is still on the other side of the forest, and we've got a south wind blowing it away from our direction.   At the moment, the appropriate people are back-burning so the smoke is pretty awful although, again, it is not blowing down this way.  Fingers crossed there is not a change in wind direction.

Do hope though, it doesn't get any farther into the beautiful forest.  It doesn't bear thinking about the wildlife.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 03:11:07 AM »
Hallo Pauline,

How are things with you out west at present?  Things sound pretty bad in many areas.  Hope you are keeping safe.

There's a fire in 'our' mountain at present but it hasn't topped the ridge to our side as yet.  Can't see any flames, just plumes of smoke. 

I would like to see one of those lovely water-bombing planes coming over to help but I think they are all very busy elsewhere.  Roll on winter.

Bren

Hi All

We are OK where we are.  Had a couple of spot fires a bit too close for comfort, but nothing too drastic.  I just feel so for the people in Dwellingup, and to think that it was deliberately lit is just sickening.  They really should hand out stronger penalties.  "Attempted murder" for a start, and if someone is killed like that poor school teacher, then "premeditated murder" would do for me.  But it's so HOT.  We now have a daylight saving trial for 3 years, personally I am in favour, but there are some old fogies and NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard) who will squash the idea when it comes to the vote in 3 years time.   
Last year was quite pleasant, averaging 33 deg, but this year we are averaging 39 deg, and somehow we are getting humidity which we have never had before.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 02:14:16 AM »
Phew, that's the sort of weather you are welcome to.  We've had some 36oCs and it was pretty much around there when our local fire started.  We still have not heard how it began.  About 3 years ago, it was rumoured there was a firebug in the district.  That's always scary.

Happily, the fire here was brought under control although there are still people up in the forest keeping an eye on things and blacking out the hot-spots.  The helicopters did get in, Elvis, or his little brother or sister, too.  It always makes one feel better when they are on the job.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 03:02:46 AM »
Phew, that's the sort of weather you are welcome to.  We've had some 36oCs and it was pretty much around there when our local fire started.  We still have not heard how it began.  About 3 years ago, it was rumoured there was a firebug in the district.  That's always scary.

Happily, the fire here was brought under control although there are still people up in the forest keeping an eye on things and blacking out the hot-spots.  The helicopters did get in, Elvis, or his little brother or sister, too.  It always makes one feel better when they are on the job.

Bren

Now the extra worrying thing is that this huge fire was started by Western Powers lines touching and starting the inferno that followed, and resulted in the death of a young school teacher.  Of course Western Power will not give compensation.  Her family are going to sue I believe.  The unfortunate thing is that if she had stayed at home (she crashed her car in dense smoke trying to get away) she woud have lived, her house was untouched.  But you panic don't you?
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 11:54:18 PM »
That is terribly sad, isn't it?  I'm afraid it's a normal reaction to run from perceived danger and it would be very hard not to do so.  Although I have my plan should fire approach the house, it would travel so quickly, it might come to naught. 

The fire  in the forest started up again yesterday. Well, probably were never really out in the first place.  We do not appear to be in any danger and I can't even see any smoke.  It has been a terrible year, hasn't it?  We're due for a 35oC on Sunday - Syd will be waiting for that emergency call on his CFA beeper.  Here's praying it doesn't go off.

Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 06:00:53 AM »
<Yes, let's hope 2007 is a good one for us all.  It's a hot one here at present.  I had to throw myself in the dam late afternoon (yes, the one in the photo) because I felt as if all my organs were cooking and death was imminent.  It was an instant cure.> 

Bren

8)  Well I hope those Fires don't catch up to you Guys, must be scary. The weather here has been -25 degree's with the wind chill, I was so cold I threw myself into the oven. Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.