Author Topic: Is anybody there?  (Read 18517 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Is anybody there?
« on: November 02, 2006, 10:16:45 PM »
We've all gone very quiet, haven't we?  Is everyone alright?  Bel, it seems a long time since your name popped up, and Dickie - do hope you and the family are alright.

Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is anybody there?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 02:40:17 AM »
We've all gone very quiet, haven't we?  Is everyone alright?  Bel, it seems a long time since your name popped up, and Dickie - do hope you and the family are alright.

Bren

8)   Hi Brenda   It's starting to get cold here, so I suppose the weather is getting warmer down under. We are getting ads on TV for Christmas already, it's unbelievable. They can't wait to get our money, we don't buy so much now, they have Dandy & Beano books in the store, brings back memories of Christmas day at Churchdown, if only I could pop back in time for one Christmas with the family.
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 08:37:49 AM »
Hallo Smiffy, good to hear from you.  Yes, it's warm over here although - believe it or not - we've had such severe frosts, the fruit industry is going to suffer this year.  We've just finished our bit of haymaking - thank goodness - and now it can rain all it wants to.  Wish it would, we are all very worried about water shortages.

Ah, the Dandy and the Beano.  What memories they bring back.  I still have a Girls' Crystal annual (remember that ladies?) which was an Xmas present from my parents.  We always got a new book at Christmas.  I'm afraid it never feels like the festive season to me out here.  Never had - never will.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 04:47:57 AM »
Ah, the Dandy and the Beano.  What memories they bring back.  I still have a Girls' Crystal annual (remember that ladies?) which was an Xmas present from my parents.  We always got a new book at Christmas.  I'm afraid it never feels like the festive season to me out here.  Never had - never will.

Bren

I still have copies of the Rupert annual.  I read them to my children, and now they read them to their children.  They are getting a bit tatty now though.

The weather here is Perth is getting warm 32deg today, although we are expecting a thunderstorm later this afternoon.  The fruit trees are beginning to sprout little berries, so I have hung old CDs over them to try to keep the birds away from them, although I think they birds are getting wise to that trick.

Went back to England again last month, my Uncle died at the beginning of October.  Still don't miss the place.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 09:52:30 PM »
Oh, dear old Rupert!  How lovely you still have those books, Pauline.

Yes, I tried the CDs on the fruit trees but to no avail.  I also bought one of those wires that are supposed to hum at a certain pitch and keep the birds away.  All  it did was give them somewhere else to perch until they decided which fruit to destroy. 

We've got a cool morning, thank goodness, and aren't due for a hotty until Thursday.  We've even got a bit of drizzle at present.  How are you doing for water over there?

Sorry to hear about your uncle.  Not unexpected, we know, but it's always sad when another link in the chain is broken.

Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 01:56:19 AM »

Bren

I still have copies of the Rupert annual.  I read them to my children, and now they read them to their children.  They are getting a bit tatty now though.

The weather here is Perth is getting warm 32deg today, although we are expecting a thunderstorm later this afternoon.  The fruit trees are beginning to sprout little berries, so I have hung old CDs over them to try to keep the birds away from them, although I think they birds are getting wise to that trick.

Went back to England again last month, my Uncle died at the beginning of October.  Still don't miss the place.

Come on you guys, deep down in your heart, Brenda Christmas will always be there, even if it's not "out there for you". Pauline same with you deep down Englands still the best, it's all the changes that put you off. I am finding it hard to accept change, it's happening here in Canada. Maybe you'll not agree. Sorry to hear about your Uncle  Pauline.   Smiffy

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 02:37:04 AM »

Bren

Come on you guys, deep down in your heart, Brenda Christmas will always be there, even if it's not "out there for you". Pauline same with you deep down Englands still the best, it's all the changes that put you off. I am finding it hard to accept change, it's happening here in Canada. Maybe you'll not agree. Sorry to hear about your Uncle  Pauline.   Smiffy

We still have Christmas!  Roast Rurkey, Christmas Trees and poor old Santas dressed up in 40 deg heat!  We still have decorations around the house which no-one ever wants to take down.  Christmas Pud and Brandy Sauce, air conditioning cranked up to the limit.  Then wait an hour and the kids all in the pool, while the oldies sit and vegitate.  And no I don't miss crowded stores, rude assistants, and the fog!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 04:36:31 AM »
I'm afraid not Smiffy.  It is utterly and totally meaningless to me, even when I attend the local church carol service.  Once upon a time, I always got a lump in my throat when hearing "Silent Night" but even that leaves me without emotion these days.  Perhaps I would be the same in England though; it may have nothing to do with having Christmas in Australia. 

Oh, there's one thing I do like and that's sending and receiving Christmas cards and letters.  It's a great time for contacting those once a year people and keeping the connections.  That brings me real joy. 

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 12:35:33 AM »
Bren my love,you will have a bit of Xmas spirit I promise, and don't forget that I get yuletide in duplicate as the first will be in Holland on Dec. 5th for saint Nicholas  ( say it quickly  it becomes Santa Claus ). Then 20 days later I also enjoy a family Christmas in Windsor. Sad that for the first time Richard will not be here to share it with us ,but he will be here in spirit and there will be a toast raised for the times we have enjoyed together in the past, even a " Whisky Mac" Keith's favourite tipple raised for his friendship. . and a big thanks for all the info on Bob Parsons I'll start with the Perth bunch and might be lucky eh ! , Dickie....................................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 12:44:09 PM »
Hallo Dickie - always good to see your name pop up again.

Like you toasting Richard, we do always make a toast to absent friends and loved ones.  And by golly, the list seems to grow each year.

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 08:54:35 AM »
Hallo Dickie - always good to see your name pop up again.

Like you toasting Richard, we do always make a toast to absent friends and loved ones.  And by golly, the list seems to grow each year.

Bren
back again. did a 70 km run round the m25 :and on to the Kings Head in old Bexley for Joe Mudele's Jazz night. the guest artist was a violinist and I shuddered, he turned out a pleasant surprise and was as good as Stephan Grappeli plus.  I've never seen or heard a violin played like George Formby's Banjo, or using the same instrument as a Guitar .altogether just what I needed, where were you Bel ? dickie..X....
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 09:41:50 PM »
Hallo Dickie,

Sounds as if you are keeping as active and interested as ever.  You are a shining example to us all.

It seems a long time since we heard from Bel.  I hope she's alright.

Pretty chilly down this way at present.  Some very welcome rain yesterday in just above freezing temperatures and interspersed with snow flurries.  And just as I'd put the winter woollies away.  We're due for a 30oC Sunday though.  Victoria weather is very perverse.

Bren

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 12:16:01 PM »
Dear  Dickie and Brenda,  sis and I are well.  I do not participate any more in the discussions but I still enjoy your imput. Belx

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 09:15:21 PM »
Hallo Bel,

I am delighted you are both alright and thank you for letting us know.  Your contributions are missed.

Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 01:25:53 AM »
Dear  Dickie and Brenda,  sis and I are well.  I do not participate any more in the discussions but I still enjoy your imput. Belx

Bell        If you come up with some old memories of Downham we would like to hear them.     Smiffy.