Author Topic: O'h No  (Read 10960 times)

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
O'h No
« on: August 19, 2006, 04:05:04 AM »
I can hardly write this, The Green Man ,The Tigers Head, The King Alfred. All going to be knocked down, the wonderful hours I spent in all these pubs, with my mates.Whats happening over there, have they gone stark staring mad. I can't write anymore the tears are ruining my lap top, sob. :cry:
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: O'h No
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 02:41:08 PM »
Quote from: JSmith
I can hardly write this, The Green Man ,The Tigers Head, The King Alfred. All going to be knocked down, the wonderful hours I spent in all these pubs, with my mates.Whats happening over there, have they gone stark staring mad. I can't write anymore the tears are ruining my lap top, sob. :cry:

Whatever are things coming to!  I also recently found a pub Syd frequented near Tower Bridge is being demolished.  What was the website called? Derelict London or something.   Well, I've definitely left my sentimental journey home far too late.  Nothing, absolutely nothing would be the same.  Poor Smiffy, will you recover from this shock, d'you think?
Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Progress
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 09:11:04 PM »
I guess they put it all down to progress Brenda, we are supposed to accept it because it is good for us.  I cannot feel that way about progress, it seems like the good things are dissapearing.( No Smiffy! your getting old, that's what it is).  Ever since time began as people got older there was always talk of the good old days.

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
O'h No
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 10:45:59 AM »
The King Alfred has been gone years. It was a dodgy Nightclub when I was a child at least 20 years ago. Now its a really dodgy cheap supermarket.

derrick Durrantgoudhurst1

• View Profile
    • Email
Green Man.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 04:39:11 AM »
Sad to hear the "Green Man" is to go,probably to be replaced by another Modern "Gin Palace" with little character.I recall standing outside with my sister waiting for our  parents ,the doors of the public bar had massive brass handles.Also at the side was a open ended type building with massive chocolate machines,penny for a bar of "Nestles".Then walk home past the "Splendid"cinema.Not bad, for a man my wife says cannnot remember what happened yesterday.  Derek Durrant,Adelaide South Australia.

Bel

• View Profile
O'h No
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 01:30:56 PM »
I think the Green Man site is for housing. The Dartmouth at Catford is another pub that has disappeared and flats built on the site. Hither Green Hospital site is now a housing estate..Catford now has many takaway outlets and charity shops , like most of our shopping centres. Bel

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
O'h No
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 12:53:05 PM »
Quote from: Bel
I think the Green Man site is for housing. The Dartmouth at Catford is another pub that has disappeared and flats built on the site. Hither Green Hospital site is now a housing estate..Catford now has many takaway outlets and charity shops , like most of our shopping centres. Bel

Prendagast school has also gone from Rushey Green. As has the the school on the bottom of Sangley road. THat is now a retail park.

Grove Park Hospital and THe Brook Hosptial Have both gone the same way as Hither Green although hither Green was the last to close.
THe ABC in Catford is now retirement flats as is the Chinbrook Pub.
Well thats progress!!!!

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
O'h No
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 01:49:01 PM »
Also THe Keston Mark went early this year is now Flats. Not sure I would what to live on that junction. But I suppose somebody will buy it.
So much is dissapearing

Brenda

• View Profile
O'h No
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 12:57:59 AM »
Prendagast school has also gone from Rushey Green. As has the the school on the bottom of Sangley road. THat is now a retail park.

Grove Park Hospital and THe Brook Hosptial Have both gone the same way as Hither Green although hither Green was the last to close.
Well thats progress!!!![/quote]

What - Prendagast gone! Why? I got a place at that school after the 11+ but my mother thought it would involve too much expense and sent me to Churchdown instead.  I knew Grove Park Hospital had gone.  I worked there from 1967-68, and a very hard place it was to work too with each ward being on 3 floors and each floor being divided into 3 sections.  I also worked, very briefly at Hither Green Hospital in 1963.  

Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Grove park Hospital
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 01:44:53 AM »
Quote/I knew Grove Park Hospital had gone. I worked there from 1967-68, and a very hard place it was to work too with each ward being on 3 floors and each floor being divided into 3 sections. I also worked, very briefly at Hither Green Hospital in 1963.

Brenda          My Mother passed away at grove park hospital Nov 1969.
Even after all this time She is deeply missed. Smiffy

Pauline

• View Profile
O'h No
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 04:13:30 AM »
Quote from: Brenda

Well thats progress!!!!

What - Prendagast gone! Why? I got a place at that school after the 11+ but my mother thought it would involve too much expense and sent me to Churchdown instead.  I knew Grove Park Hospital had gone.  I worked there from 1967-68, and a very hard place it was to work too with each ward being on 3 floors and each floor being divided into 3 sections.  I also worked, very briefly at Hither Green Hospital in 1963.  

Bren[/quote]

How glad I am that I am here and not there to see all that.  I recall the Chinbrook Pub became a Beefeater or some such eatery.  We would always frequent a Beefeater because you could rely on the food, and the kids would eat it.

I remember my sister visited the Grove Park hospital because one of her friends was in there having survived the New Cross/St Johns rail crash (what year was that?)
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Grove park Hospital
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 09:51:15 AM »
Quote from: JSmith
Quote/I knew Grove Park Hospital had gone. I worked there from 1967-68, and a very hard place it was to work too with each ward being on 3 floors and each floor being divided into 3 sections. I also worked, very briefly at Hither Green Hospital in 1963.

Brenda          My Mother passed away at grove park hospital Nov 1969.
Even after all this time She is deeply missed. Smiffy

I've just checked my records.  It was 1969 I started work there, not '67 so I would have been there when your mother died.  I can't remember which ward I was working on in that November.  Who knows, I may have known her and I may well have passed you at visiting hours.  Yes, we never stop missing our mothers, do we?
Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
O'h No
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 09:54:45 AM »
I remember my sister visited the Grove Park hospital because one of her friends was in there having survived the New Cross/St Johns rail crash (what year was that?)[/quote]

My sister would know.  I'll ask her.  The train she was on, coming home from work at London Bridge, passed the crash site.  I hadn't started work at that time so I reckon it would have been about 1957 or 58.  Matron Bell at Lewisham Hospital got an MBE or some award because, of course, the hospital had to cope so many of the accident victims.

Bren

Bel

• View Profile
O'h No
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 10:18:42 AM »
My friend Mary was Matron Bell's secretary for over 25 years and used to visit her when she retired until she died.  I remember her as a strick disiplinarian and the hospital was never the same when she left. Worked at HG. Hospital from 1980 until it closed in 1997 as an O.T. technician . It was a lovely place to work  having a very friendly atmosphere Bel

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
O'h No
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 05:28:12 PM »
What - Prendagast gone! Why? I got a place at that school after the 11+ but my mother thought it would involve too much expense and sent me to Churchdown instead.  
Bren[/quote]

How glad I am that I am here and not there to see all that.  I recall the Chinbrook Pub became a Beefeater or some such eatery.  We would always frequent a Beefeater because you could rely on the food, and the kids would eat it.

quote]

Prendagast The building was out Dated apparently and to small and cramped. The school still exists although it is up on hilly fields in Brockley. it is still only had a fairly small intake of student in comparisom to other secondery schools. I think it is a voluntary aided school rather than local authority. So it is still stricter and more grammer school like even though it isnt a grammer school any more.

Yes THe Chinbrook was Beefeter we used to go there too.
The Downham Taven is up for Sale again and the Royal Taven in Court Road, Mottingham is up for let.