Author Topic: Lewisham shop  (Read 37354 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Lewisham shop
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2006, 01:03:07 AM »
I think there used to be a beer garden there at some time, there was also a detached house that I believe was a doctors surgery.[/quote]

Yes, there was a doctor there.  My mother registered with him (can't remember his name, Dickie might) when we moved to Downham from Crutchley Rd.  I was frightened of him because he sat me on his lap and cuddled me so Mum re-registered with the wonderful Dr Hockman who served my family so well for the remainder of our Downham days.
Bren

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
Lewisham shop
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2006, 10:06:11 AM »
Dr Hockman was still going strong in 1987 when my Grandmother past to spirit at her home in Downham way and had to be certified By dr Hockman. THe only other Dr I can think of is DR Kramer(could be spelt with a C) My Aunt and family used him. Not sure which surgery he practised out of though.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Lewisham shop
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2006, 06:11:13 PM »
Quote from: Lindylou2_2002
Dr Hockman was still going strong in 1987 when my Grandmother past to spirt at her home in Downham way and had to be certified By
dr Hockman. THe only other Dr I can think of is DR Kramer(could be spelt with a C) My Aunt and family used him. Not sure which surgery he practised out of though.
dickie [/quote] I think it could have been one doctor Bee who diagnosed my kid sister as having a cold, fortunately doctor kelman recognised her as having diptheria and got her into Evelina hospital     dickie...........................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Downham Doctors
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2006, 11:21:48 PM »
There was a Doctor on downham way, just up from bromley road on the left hand side,before the cut through to oakridge. It was a corner house and had a red light outside when surgery was open. Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Bel

• View Profile
Lewisham shop
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2006, 09:55:51 AM »
I remember Dr. Bee and have a photo of him somewhere when he attended a fancy dress party as a guest at Hamptons Happy Hours in the club hut just off Arcus Road. He used to charge one shilling for a consultation so of course we hardly ever called on him. Bel

Brenda

• View Profile
Lewisham shop
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2006, 02:28:30 PM »
Dr Hockman was still going strong in 1987 when my Grandmother past to spirit at her home in Downham way and had to be certified By dr Hockman. THe only other Dr I can think of is DR Kramer(could be spelt with a C) My Aunt and family used him. Not sure which surgery he practised out of though.

Was he really still going then?  My goodness.  Many years ago, he became quite ill and was diagnosed diabetic.  That's when he lost a lot of weight - he'd been quite a chubby chops previously.  A wonderful man, he really was.

Bren

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
Lewisham shop
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2006, 08:18:33 PM »
Quote from: Brenda

Was he really still going then?  My goodness.  Many years ago, he became quite ill and was diagnosed diabetic.  That's when he lost a lot of weight - he'd been quite a chubby chops previously.  A wonderful man, he really was.

Bren

I asume it was him I do family history and was looking at nans certificate the other day. And It was Dr Hockman who signed her off as she died at home. Maybe it was his son or something.

Brenda

• View Profile
Lewisham shop
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2006, 11:25:47 PM »
I asume it was him I do family history and was looking at nans certificate the other day. And It was Dr Hockman who signed her off as she died at home. Maybe it was his son or something.[/quote]

Have a look at the initial.  His first name was Nathaniel.  Not that it proves anything for sure, of course.

Bren

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
Lewisham shop
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2006, 11:02:50 AM »
Quote from: Brenda
I asume it was him I do family history and was looking at nans certificate the other day. And It was Dr Hockman who signed her off as she died at home. Maybe it was his son or something.

Have a look at the initial.  His first name was Nathaniel.  Not that it proves anything for sure, of course.

Bren[/quote]

Yes that was him N Hockman also just asked dad and he confirmed it.

David Line

• View Profile
    • http://line.david.free.fr/linefamily.htm
Lewisham shop
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2006, 11:54:58 AM »
I remember Dr Hockman visiting our home in (about) 1953. As a youngster I had gone down with mumps, measles and chicken pox in rapid succession. As a treat my mother had bought me a licquorice cigarette in the end of which was a dried pea covered in red foil to represent the burning tobacco. Definitely not PC these days. Being a curious child I unwrapped the pea and managed to sniff it up my nose where it became jammed. Dr Hockman was duly summoned and, with the aid of a small spatula, he manged to prise the pea loose and worked it down to my nostril. Sadly I had been holding my breath and just before he recovered the object I sniffed and back it went! He tried this three times with the same result and at which point, even I as a 7 year old, realised he was losing his temper. The result was a visit to Lewisham Hospital where the staff of trained sadists clamped me to an examining couch and after numerous attempts to dislodge the object finally felt that a recourse to anaesthetic was inevitable. Imagine a youngster  being held down by four nurses by his feet and hands while a surgeon probed his nose. Terror was not the word. The pea was removed while I was unconscious and I was returned home with my mother by Tram still barely conscious.

David Line
Gareth Grove 1946 - 1954
Beechmont Close 1954 - 1966

Pauline

• View Profile
Lewisham shop
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2006, 02:08:03 AM »
Quote from: David Line
I remember Dr Hockman visiting our home in (about) 1953. As a youngster I had gone down with mumps, measles and chicken pox in rapid succession. As a treat my mother had bought me a licquorice cigarette in the end of which was a dried pea covered in red foil to represent the burning tobacco. Definitely not PC these days. Being a curious child I unwrapped the pea and managed to sniff it up my nose where it became jammed. Dr Hockman was duly summoned and, with the aid of a small spatula, he manged to prise the pea loose and worked it down to my nostril. Sadly I had been holding my breath and just before he recovered the object I sniffed and back it went! He tried this three times with the same result and at which point, even I as a 7 year old, realised he was losing his temper. The result was a visit to Lewisham Hospital where the staff of trained sadists clamped me to an examining couch and after numerous attempts to dislodge the object finally felt that a recourse to anaesthetic was inevitable. Imagine a youngster  being held down by four nurses by his feet and hands while a surgeon probed his nose. Terror was not the word. The pea was removed while I was unconscious and I was returned home with my mother by Tram still barely conscious.

David Line

I do wish you could see me - there are tears running down my face where I've been laughing so much!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Lewisham shop
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2006, 11:26:59 PM »
Quote from: Pauline
I remember Dr Hockman visiting our home in (about) 1953.  The pea was removed while I was unconscious and I was returned home with my mother by Tram still barely conscious.
David Line

I do wish you could see me - there are tears running down my face where I've been laughing so much!
           dickie
  I do see the funny side of david's unfortunate experience Brenda , in the circumstances judgeing by your reaction it is as well he had not sat on the pea    dickie............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
Lewisham shop
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2006, 11:32:51 PM »
Definitely not PC these days. Being a curious child I unwrapped the pea and managed to sniff it up my nose where it became jammed. !

Hallo David from France, you seem to have given us all a chuckle!  But hey, a Dr Hockman who got cross is almost an oxymoron, isn't it?  

Thank you for reviving those memories of the 'cigarettes'.  You're right, definitely not p.c. these days.

Where on Downham did you live?

Bren