Author Topic: Shops in Downham Way near the Tavern  (Read 7660 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Shops in Downham Way near the Tavern
« on: August 04, 2006, 02:25:22 AM »
I was talking with my husband Peter last night - and we wandered onto the subject of the shops on Downham Way near the Tavern.  I remembered:
The first shop - I don't know what it started as but was a launderette for a while, then Allneeds (what a wonderful place that was to a small child) where people would go in carrying strange looking contraptions that my Mum told me were batteries for their radios - we must have been posh because we had electric.
Then the Co-op where you went to the counter and actually had someone serve you, and your money would be whizzed to the cashier who would then dish out the change, and I would have to give a divi number which both Peter and I remember.
Then I think there was a bike shop, a barbers, then Annes the wool shop which also sold undies and stockings.
There was also David Griegs where Mum would collect tea tokens and get crockery (some of which I still have) a butchers and the last two shops I cannot remember.
On the other side was a post office, Boltons and a chemists - I don't remember any more.
Funny the things we talk about - well '24' had finished, and it was too painful to think of all the trouble Jack was in with the Chinese.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shops in Downham Way near the Tavern
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 07:48:54 AM »
Quote from: Pauline
I was talking with my husband Peter last night - and we wandered onto the subject of the shops on Downham Way near the tavern
Funny the things we talk about - well '24' had finished, and it was too painful to think of all the trouble Jack was in with the Chinese.
dickie
not sure of the 24 bit but the shops from the tavern down to northover were Hammets the butcher then Percy  clark  the greengrocer, then a fiish shop.a chemist,Boltons paper and cigs and sweets,Hammets cold meats etc, I think Gunners butchers,at the bottom was a large haberdashers which became the Post office. On the other nside going up towards Launcelot you had Allneeds hardware (Which became "Snooky's Snack Bar " ) then a small post office. next was a radio shop who sold bikes on a small scale , plus charging accumulators and selling 120volt and 9 volt batteries for the old style "Steam" radios  next Witty"'s Hair dressers .MR. Witty was a lovely old man with white wavy hair and matching moustachio unfortunately money troubles prevailed and he committed suicide. the next few shops are hazy apart from Perks right on the corner of Launcelot who sold dairy products      dickie...........
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 10:11:09 AM »
Im seeing my dad on Tuesday I know my gran worked at the greengrocers on the same side as the tavern. But Can remember the names of the shops.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 02:24:36 PM »
Don't forget White's on the corner of Capstone Road, opposite the off-licence where you could get your 'flying saucers' as well as shampoos!  I'm not sure if it had also been a butchers at one time.  Allneeds was a wonderful shop.  I can smell it now.  For years, I thought the two fellows who owned it (can still see them in their brown overalls) were the Misters Allneed.  Ho hum.  That tells you something about my brain, doesn't it?

One of my favourite shops was the bakers where I was always fascinated by the decorated cakes on display in the little side window.

When we first moved to Downham, the end shop on the opposite side to Boltons was a sort of workman's cafe.  

Like you Pauline, I can still remember our Co-op number.  

Bren

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 02:27:12 PM »
ok after consultation with my dad
You had Snookys snack bar/The Co op/ THe general Post office(later a shoe shop)/Wittys the barbers/the Battery and bike shop/Greens the grocers(later Annes the clothes shop) Gorstons the Butchers/ Pearks/ Clarkes the Greengrocers/ and on the end the Maypole another Grocers/ in Later times a Fish and chip shop ran by Tommy Costello, Whos father used to sell peanuts outside grovepark station / Also over the Maypole was a Hairdressers

On the Otherside of the road was ?cant remember 1st shop/then Gunners the grocers/Hammets the Butchers/Boltons the Papershop/the Fish shop/another Grocer/then the United Dairys shop(later the Bakers) then Clarkes the Greengrocers/then Whites the Butchers.
Also there was a Offlicence in Capstone which was an extention of the Downhgam taven. In Moorside you had the tea rooms also an extention of the Tavern.

There were 2 clarke Brothers and they had a greengrocers one on either side of the road. He remembers taking bottles to Allneeds to get filled with Viniger.

Also he remembers the Eagles from Tristram Road he  thinks that one of them used to be friends with his neighbours george and john Storey of 396 Downham way.  
I was also wondering about the Eagles Dickie I went to School with Sharon Eagle(born about 1972) she lived in Hazelbank with her PArents and brother Brian(born about 1975) and Sister Denise(born about 1970ish. Any Relation to you.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
shops
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 11:48:07 PM »
Quote from: Lindylou2_2002
Im seeing my dad on Tuesday I know my gran worked at the greengrocers on the same side as the tavern. But Can remember the names of the shops.
        ,   I think the chemists was  " Morrel and Dixon " and the corner shop on Capstone was definitely  a Butchers  who held a saturday night meat auction , where I would stand with 2/- in my hand bidding for a leg of lamb which a sympathetic butcher would finally let me have .      dickie.....................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: shops
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 01:28:20 AM »
Quote from: Dickie eagle
        ,   I think the chemists was  " Morrel and Dixon " and the corner shop on Capstone was definitely  a Butchers  who held a saturday night meat auction , where I would stand with 2/- in my hand bidding for a leg of lamb which a sympathetic butcher would finally let me have .      dickie.....................

Yes .. Morrel and Dixon that's right.  I had been racking my brains on that one!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 03:29:29 AM »
ok after consultation with my dad
You had Snookys snack bar/The Co op/ THe general Post office(later a shoe shop)/Wittys the barbers/the Battery and bike shop/Greens the grocers(later Annes the clothes shop) Gorstons the Butchers/ Pearks/ Clarkes the Greengrocers/ and on the end the Maypole another Grocers/ in Later times a Fish and chip shop ran by Tommy Costello, Whos father used to sell peanuts outside grovepark station / Also over the Maypole was a Hairdressers

There were 2 clarke Brothers and they had a greengrocers one on either side of the road. He remembers taking bottles to Allneeds to get filled with Viniger.

Oh Gorstons - yes!  Were the Clarke brothers the ones who started off their grocery business in a truck?  I remember the family who lived in Woodbank Road - seemed to be a lot of boys, at least one of them was ginger.  I have never been able to remember the family name.  

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 04:03:09 AM »
[quote="Brenda
Oh Gorstons - yes!  Were the Clarke brothers the ones who started off their grocery business in a truck?  I remember the family who lived in Woodbank Road - seemed to be a lot of boys, at least one of them was ginger.  I have never been able to remember the family name.  
Bren[/quote]

I still remember being sent to Gorstons - there was a lovely lady there grey curly hair, very motherly.  And I had to hand over my coupons to get the meat.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 10:15:37 AM »
Quote from: Pauline
[quote="Brenda
Oh Gorstons - yes!  Were the Clarke brothers the ones who started off their grocery business in a truck?  I remember the family who lived in Woodbank Road - seemed to be a lot of boys, at least one of them was ginger.  I have never been able to remember the family name.  Bren
                     Nope, the  Clarkes frere didn't happen until later. The first Clarke was Percy and his wife was gorgeous, her parents lived opposite us in Tristram . Percy was quite a character and always looked worried, born I think around 1910'ish
 but I'm not sure if the Clarkes over the road was related to him  . Oh and on the schools article in DOWNHAMORIGINALS   was a mention of someone called Spinks, I did know a young kid named Terry Spinks,so I'm trying to find a connection           dickie..........................

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 11:48:08 AM »
[/quote]                The first Clarke was Percy and his wife was gorgeous, her parents lived opposite us in Tristram . Percy was quite a character and always looked worried, born I think around 1910'ish
 but I'm not sure if the Clarkes over the road was related to him  .       dickie..........................[/quote]

Apparently they were related as My gran Used to work for them. Will try to find out which shop she worked in.