Author Topic: Who had a south suburban Co op Coalman  (Read 10906 times)

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
Who had a south suburban Co op Coalman
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 06:24:19 PM »
I dont know some of the care homes I have worked in have been Dire a total lack of care on the part of most of the carers. I kept getting told to hurry up as I was taking my time washing the poor people in there. But that meant I wasnt keeping to the schedule of getting xy amount of people up and in their chairs. I wont name and shame the particuler Care homes as they might have got better.
I even helpped care for my grandfather at home coz I was so against putting him in a home. He played my dad and uncle up big time. But he thought I was my grandmother so he let me tend to him. Which I would never have been able to do as his 22 year old granddaughter. I just took it out of my head that he was my grandfather and called him Bert etc. It was quite heart breaking.

But it took ages for Lewisham Council to get their collective fingers out and give up help putting him to bed each night.
So I was working in London getting a train to Grove park and then a bus home after and the reverse in the morning.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2006, 07:02:26 PM »
I do sympathise with you..once out in the community you have to know  which source to tap into to get help. If you are admitted to hospital the discharge team are much more helpful and it is down to the S ocial Workers together with the home care tea m to organize the level of care which THEY think is most suitable. This varies considerably from area to area, and it was always a bone of contention that the" put to bed service" might come round and put an elderly person to bed at 7pm.  and get her up again at 9am the next morning. My mother had a stroke and was in Farmborough Hospital (where she died) but Social Service used to bring her home on a Friday and collect her again on the Sunday evening, a special journey . I shall always be grateful for that. Bel

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 07:26:58 AM »
Quote from: Bel
Yes Brenda the open air pool at Lewisham closed quite a few years back, and there is a housing complex there now with sheltered housing as well . Do you remember the old folks home in Ladywell? a large building with several floors and open fires.  My grandmother ended up there and eventually died.  Belx

Was that the dreaded Ladywell Lodge, Bel?  I never actually saw it but it had a dreadful reputation.  No doubt it had been a workhouse.  I came across some photos on-line of Hither Green Hospital where I worked very briefly.  I hadn't realised at that time, it had been a workhouse.  The wards hadn't changed though, still had the big fire in the middle.
Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 07:29:40 AM »
I even helpped care for my grandfather at home coz I was so against putting him in a home. He played my dad and uncle up big time. But he thought I was my grandmother so he let me tend to him. Which I would never have been able to do as his 22 year old granddaughter. I just took it out of my head that he was my grandfather and called him Bert etc. It was quite heart breaking.

So I was working in London getting a train to Grove park and then a bus home after and the reverse in the morning.[/quote]

Ah, if I had read all the posts, I would have had the answer.

Lindylou, you are to be commended for your valiant effort in looking after your grandfather as you did.  

Bren

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 11:07:31 AM »
Quote from: Brenda

So I was working in London getting a train to Grove park and then a bus home after and the reverse in the morning.

Ah, if I had read all the posts, I would have had the answer.

Lindylou, you are to be commended for your valiant effort in looking after your grandfather as you did.  

Bren[/quote]

THank you for that but I loved My grandad and it was totally natural to me to help my Dad look after my grandfather. I could only do it as he didnt recognise me. He thought I was my Nan and called me Em. So I just dealt with him as I would any other person in my care.
He played my dad up so much and it was sad to see him go from being such a strong man who in his day could move all the coal bags with ease to a shell of a man that he became in later life.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 01:28:32 PM »
I really do know what you went through Lindy, as my sister and I cared for my father who had the same sort of problems.  It is indeed so sad to see the deterioration of a loved one,  At the end he could not even eat or drink and was incontinent, but we cared for him at home to the end  I wish I had had a granddaughter as caring as you to share the load.. Belx