Author Topic: Who had a south suburban Co op Coalman  (Read 10937 times)

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
Who had a south suburban Co op Coalman
« on: July 18, 2006, 08:13:23 PM »
My Grandfather was a Coalman for the  South suburban co op out of the Bromley North Yard.
He Worked downham, Chislehurst, and a few other areas from about 1929 to at least 1950. His Name was Burt Saunders does anyone remember him?

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 10:52:32 PM »
my mother used to have the  South Suburban Co-op coalman, I can remember her counting the bags in, and she always offered him a cup of tea. The kids used to rush out and pick up any coal that had been dropped , I never saw what he looked like through all that coal dust. Belx

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:16:47 PM »
It was probably him, he had all the chat to be get a cup of tea made. Turned 80 he still had the Chat. Miss him Loads he lived in the Downham way house until he passed to spirit in 1996.  

dad said he had quite a big round and. Sometimes my dad helped him but that would have been in the late 40s once he got old enough and big enough.

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Who had a south suburban Co op Coalman
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 11:21:25 PM »
Quote from: Lindylou2_2002
My Grandfather was a Coalman for the  South suburban co op out of the Bromley North Yard.
He Worked downham, Chislehurst, and a few other areas from about 1929 to at least 1950. His Name was Burt Saunders does anyone remember him?

I don't remember any specific coalman but I was always fascinated by their strength and that lovely coal smell.  Yes, we all used to rush out (as per mothers' instructions) to scoop up any coal left in the road.  I believe I remember going to a coalyard in the Bellingham area.  Does that sound right to anyone?
Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 11:37:28 PM »
Quote from: Brenda

I don't remember any specific coalman but I remember going to a coalyard in the Bellingham area.  Does that sound right to anyone?
Bren
            Not much to add but our next door neighbour ,Charlie Peek used to work for "Lebon" from Bromley with a horse and cart . Can you tell me what part of Downham Way your dad lived in Lindy !.     dickie......................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 09:05:21 AM »
My dad lived at 394 Downham way. He back on to Laceclot school. on the stretch between Southover and Lancelot roads.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 09:14:51 AM »
Yes Brenda, my big sister remembers going with our dad and his barrow to a coal yard at Sydenham and collecting some coal when the winter was severe (she cant remember why tho!)  Belx

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 09:20:16 AM »
Knew a family that lived opposite the toilets in Downham Way..One of the  girls was called Doreen... the mother died in about 1995 after being admitted to the long stay ward in Hither Green Hospital as there was small fire-  a lovely lady she was one of my patients . I think she ended up in a home opposite Hither Green Cemetary. Bel

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 09:44:31 AM »
Quote from: Bel
Knew a family that lived opposite the toilets in Downham Way..One of the  girls was called Doreen... the mother died in about 1995 after being admitted to the long stay ward in Hither Green Hospital as there was small fire-  a lovely lady she was one of my patients . I think she ended up in a home opposite Hither Green Cemetary. Bel
Hey Bel, That corner at Southover ( where the tram stop used to be )I can remember one morning after a night of raids,the all clear had sounded and BOOM a house on that corner blew up... it transpired that with a near miss the gas main was ruptured, the family was in the Anderson and dad got up to go to work, went into the house ,put the kettle on the gas stove, struck a match to light the gas and- - - - -   had the day off in lewisham hosp.         dickie....................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 03:34:13 AM »
Quote from: Brenda

I don't remember any specific coalman but I was always fascinated by their strength and that lovely coal smell.  Yes, we all used to rush out (as per mothers' instructions) to scoop up any coal left in the road.  I believe I remember going to a coalyard in the Bellingham area.  Does that sound right to anyone?
Bren

Would you be thinking of the coal yard on the corner of  randlesdown rd & bromley rd bren the open air swimming pool was on the other corner near enough. smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 07:25:03 AM »
I believe I remember going to a coalyard in the Bellingham area.  Does that sound right to anyone?
Bren[/quote]

Would you be thinking of the coal yard on the corner of  randlesdown rd & bromley rd bren the open air swimming pool was on the other corner near enough. smiffy[/quote]

That sounds right Smiffy, I do associate it with being near the open air swimming pool.  Did I hear the Bellingham pool closed some years ago?

Bren

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 09:06:08 AM »
THe pool did close quite some time ago. I used to get the train from Bellingham to go to work.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 09:14:31 AM »
Yes Brenda the open air pool at Lewisham closed quite a few years back, and there is a housing complex there now with sheltered housing as well . Do you remember the old folks home in Ladywell? a large building with several floors and open fires.  My grandmother ended up there and eventually died.  Belx

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 09:20:56 AM »
Do you mean Ladywell Lodge Bel? I work there in the 90s when it became an Elderly Mental ill day Centre. It was the old Work house the Water tower is now listed. Hither green Hospital and Grove Park Hospitals are both Housing estates now.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 01:44:58 PM »
yes... it was a workhouse, and then a place where elderly people went when they couldnt manage at home any more...all lumped together in one place.  It is much better now with care homes dotted about the Borough more of a family feeling. I worked at Hither Green Hospital as an O.T technician until it closed in 1997, and then worked at Lewisham Hospital until 2001. I used to visit the Mentally Ill Unit at Ladywell  in the course of my workand also the specially adapted houses for the disabled, might even have passed you . Bel