Author Topic: People I rememeber as a child  (Read 8672 times)

Lindylou2_2002

• View Profile
People I rememeber as a child
« on: July 18, 2006, 04:30:41 PM »
I used to stay with my grandparents in the 70s, they lived in Downham way in  a house that backed on to Lancelot school.
a couple of their Neighbours were Mrs Sutherley( not sure of the spelling) and mr and Mrs Storey. They were quite old so all their relatives had left home. I just wonder if anybody remembers them.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: People I rememeber as a child
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »
Quote from: Lindylou2_2002
I used to stay with my grandparents in the 70s, they lived in Downham way in  a house that backed on to Lancelot school.
a couple of their Neighbours were Mrs Sutherley( not sure of the spelling) and mr and Mrs Storey. They were quite old so all their relatives had left home. I just wonder if anybody remembers them.
                                     immediately by the southover tram stop was an old chum,one Ron Seymour and his wife but that would have been back in the '60,s in launcelot next to the school main gate was mr & mrs Drake and their daughter Joan Drake they moved later to Ivorydown . others in that part of Launcelot were Freddie ward who lived with his Gran , and old Bill Johnson, his son formed a very professional Swing (and Jazz ) Band that played in both the Tavern  and Bal Tabarin. unfortunately "Scats Johnson" as he became known, died as a young man some of the band are still around and his double bassist, Joe Mudele became one of uk's top players. Joe still does gigs and runs a very active Jazz Club every monday at the "Kings Head " in Old Bexley which would interest enthusiasts in the area.   If anyone goes check with Joe if I'm there         dickie....................
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 10:28:04 PM by Dickie eagle »
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

mickf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 01:03:35 PM »
We lived at 404 Downham Way opposite the Downham Tavern from 1948 to 1960 our neighbours were Mr & Mrs Southerly and their daughter Florie.  Mr S passed away and Mrs S continued to live in 402 until she passed away 15/20 years ago.  I believe Florie married and moved away. At 400 was my Mum's best friend June Heaney, her husband Dennis (Denny) an electrician and their daughter Christine.  We moved to Keedonwood Road where my  Mum Irene, who is now 85, still lives.  She and June still see each other regularly although Denny passed away 5/10 years ago.    The Southerly's were great neighbours and put up with me, Michael Faulkner, and my two brothers Paul and Bob.  I never knew Mrs Southerly's first name as that was what we called her, and she and Mum if they wanted a natter over the fence, would call the other by knocking on the party wall!  Me and my brothers went to Launcelot School, I later went  to Coopers Lane also known as Grove Park Secondary and my brothers went on to the newly built Mallory Comprehensive.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 10:34:12 AM »
Mikf, There was a Faulkner at Lancelot,(Len?), didn't get on with him too well, shotish and about 86'ish now. Are you related ?
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:36:06 PM »
and she and Mum if they wanted a natter over the fence,

I believe the Downham fences of yesteryear contributed to the feeling of community and neighbourliness. After all, you couldn't hide away behind them, could you.  You only had to step out to hang washing on the line and someone farther along would call out a cheerful greeting.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 05:00:19 AM »
and she and Mum if they wanted a natter over the fence,

I believe the Downham fences of yesteryear contributed to the feeling of community and neighbourliness. After all, you couldn't hide away behind them, could you.  You only had to step out to hang washing on the line and someone farther along would call out a cheerful greeting.

Bren
We had a gate in our fence that led (via another garden and another gate) to my best friends house.  So as toddlers we didn't have to go outside.  I lived in Geraint Road, and she was around the coner in Gareth Grove.  Very handy, especially when we went on holidays and her Dad would mind our chickens.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

mickf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 06:05:04 PM »
Mikf, There was a Faulkner at Lancelot,(Len?), didn't get on with him too well, shotish and about 86'ish now. Are you related ?

Hi Dickie, there's no 'Len' in our family, although me and my brothers all went to Launcelot.  I left the school around 1957 so I'm a bit younger than the Faulkner you mention!

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 01:55:32 PM »
Yesterday I went to Downham to bid my Bro' in law Bill farewell in Francis Chappels, he has been a widower for some four years since my sister "Rene" passed away. I took the opportunity to see as much of Downham as circumstances (and the drizzle would permit, and Phooey what a %88! @? it was I COULD HAVE BEEN IN CAPETOWN. ,the one white girl I spotted in the Cafe up the top was Albanian ! I don't normally feel a Racist, but the sight of so many packed into one area was a bit too much for me.  Dickie............................
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 06:05:01 PM by Dickie eagle »

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 05:40:37 AM »
Sorry to hear your family has suffered another loss, Dickie. 

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 10:48:44 AM »
Thanks Bren, Bill was a great guy. He came from Wrenthorpe, born 1922. He served in the Royal Engineers during the war and became a teacher at the South East London Tech. (University ?)  Oh well, most of the old Polytechnic were upgraded to University status.. some of our readers may have known the Humphrey family, did you Smudge ?  Dicky................