Author Topic: Autum Sunday  (Read 7072 times)

Dickie Eagle

Autum Sunday
« on: October 05, 2003, 08:49:15 PM »
Cor, not yet the end of Summer,I rose at 6 am to do a Boot fair in Ascot  and it was perishing , to cap it all I got a pitch in the shade of a LARGE Chestnut which deprived me of even the watery sun we did get. I saw a bit of memorabilia though, a chap was mass producing the scooters of my ( Our ?) chidhood, two planks and two large Industrial Ball races for wheels, the very ones that our Dads used to make and made such a lovely noise going along the pavement and free wheeling down Durham Hill. In fact from Southover I used to coast all the way to the Change-over . Financially the day was a success, and got me out in the very fresh air. Maybe I can find a market nearer  Downham to experience , just a thought . By the way someon      mentioned the old "Flower House " at Southend Village opposite Peter Pan's pool being the home of landed gentry, by the time Downham occurred "The Flower House " was an institution for folk who were a couple of marbles short, The Nut House ! ! . Love you all, but must leave now, 'bye y,all  Dickie   E................

Bel

• View Profile
Autumn Sunday
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 10:27:36 PM »
Well Dickie, I often wondered how the horrible grey flats
they built in the 50s opposite the Southend Pond got the name of Flower House Estate, now I know. Thanks. The trees in Kent are changing colour and look fantastic, living in Kent has it advantages away from Catford, although I do miss the old place I must admit after 36 years in the same house.  :(   I remember the skates that you had to do up with a key and pulled the soles off of your shoes, also the china dolls we girls had. Remember my mother paying off of one for me at Pecrys all year, and I broke it on Christmas Day.  Had to go to the dolls's hospital in Catford to be mended, always was a clumsy child and havnt changed. Glad the boot sale went well, they used to have one in Lewisham in the car park part under cover, but they closed it down. Best wishes Bel.

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Autumn Sunday
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 11:55:40 PM »
I remember the skates that you had to do up with a key and pulled the soles off of your shoes,

Oh, how I loved my roller skates!  I used to  skate down Durham Hill and often had to hurl myself into somebody's privet hedge to stop myself shooting straight over the main road.  Do people still send their dolls to hospital or do they bin them and get new ones? And Pecrys - what memories of that shop.  I don't suppose it exists now, does it?
Brenda

Dickie Eagle

Re: Autumn Sunday
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 10:35:18 AM »
Oh, how I loved my roller skates!  I used to  skate down Durham Hill and often had to hurl myself into somebody's privet hedge to stop myself shooting straight over the main road.   Brenda[/quote]              PLUM ! I did tell you about my experiences of girls going over the Privets, ah but Bren you were too young, to me it was the best biology lesson ever. I still think about those old friends and hope they are still around to blush.        What their grandchildren would say when the discovered that they didn't invent it eh ?

Bel

• View Profile
Autum Sunday
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 01:07:30 PM »
:) Unfortunately Pecrys is no longer. There is a charity shop in its place, but the lady who used to work in the little cash box still is well and lives in Catford. I loved that shop it held great fasination for me when I was a girl. Also the dress shop in the arcade and the jewellers. All those shops are sadly no longer there. Dolls are vertually unbreakable now, I would have loved a Barbie when I was little, but did buy them for my Granddaughters. The weather has changed over the last few days, very wintery and grey. Love to all my friends  Bel

smiffy

• View Profile
    • Email
Autum Sunday
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2003, 09:37:54 PM »
Unfortunately Pecrys is no longer. There is a charity shop in its place, but the lady who used to work in the little cash box still is well and lives in Catford Quote/   WE still have a Leather foot stall My wife bought there in around 1965, it is in good condition. When you bought things those days they were made to last, lots of good shops gone now along the green there, where you new you could buy decent stuff.  :(

Anonymous

Autum Sunday
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 08:56:22 PM »
lots of good shops gone now along the green there, where you new you could buy decent stuff.  :([quote Smiffy]   Catford was a mine of interesting shops and places,not the least was the unemployment exchange round the back, and Joe Lyons with gorgeous  "Nippy's", I used to look in "Harpers" and once bought a wedding ring for Three Quid ! (I don't know what became of it !). All their unredeemed pledges were cheap, but Rushey Green was not always pleasant and I can remember The shoot out outside the Albany Club Snooker Hall opposite the "Castle"between rival Gangs from Catford and Lower Sydenham . I loved the Sausage sandwiches that old man Plowman sold in his shack outside St. Laurences Church his son Bill used to go around with the same crowd as I did .they lived near you Bel. Right ,I'm going to watch "The Bill"  Bye. Dickie.................

Bel

• View Profile
Autum Sunday
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 01:18:03 PM »
:o Your mention of |Harpers bought back memories to me Dickie.  I got my engagement ring  there for 8. second hand, and used to pawn it when times were hard (husband was a docker and always on strike) for 10, which paid the rent, gas and electricity and fed the kids for two weeks.  Am going to take the dog for a walk (or rather she takes me) as the weather is lovely , sunny but chilly.  Bel

Dickie Eagle

Correction
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2003, 08:01:36 PM »
Quote from: Anonymous
lots of good shops gone now along the green there, where you new you could buy decent stuff. I loved the Sausage sandwiches that old man Plowman sold in his shack outside St. Laurences Church his son Bill used to go around with the same crowd as I did .they lived near you Bel. Right ,I'm going to watch "The Bill"  Bye. Dickie.................
 My chums name was Timmy,Not Billy . Or Tmothy not William. but his old man's ".Banger" Sarnies was indeed food for the gods I think the Plowman family lived in Farnham road next door to the Welch family Eric welch was another old friend who married the younger girl Crossman from 229 Downham Way, her brother George was an old friend from St. Barnabas. who opted for thew RAF as a Flight Engineer, Gawd you"ll finish up with my life history,is Brenda still wrting that book?    Night all ,Dickie E..............