Author Topic: Claudette Waite from Churchdown School  (Read 33340 times)

christine

• View Profile
Re: Claudette Waite from Churchdown School
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 03:30:04 PM »
Rest assured Pauline, I think most of us spent at least a few years suffering because of those damned liberty bodices. I believe I was still at Pendragon though when Mum decided I need not wear one  - thanks goodness - but oh dear, the fuss she made when I, a teenager at Churchdown, decided I would no longer wear a vest!  She reacted as if I had ambitions to become a wanton woman.
Gosh - can't remember every wearing a liberty bodice at school although my grandma did knit me a very fetching swimming costume when I was about 4 or 5 which unfortunately did not like getting wet - you can imagine where it stretched to when I walked out of the sea! 
And on the matter of qualifications - I, too, had none apart from London Chamber of Commerce in French - whatever good that was.  Failed typing but, like most of our generation, managed to find a job at 15 and continued to work at a keyboard right through to the present day - so it kept us in good stead,

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 12:38:40 PM »
[
Gosh - can't remember every wearing a liberty bodice at school although my grandma did knit me a very fetching swimming costume when I was about 4 or 5 which unfortunately did not like getting wet - you can imagine where it stretched to when I walked out of the sea! 

There was at least one on every beach, Chris!  If I remember rightly, Pam Ayres had some very amusing anecdotes to tell about her father's knitted swimming gear.

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »
How things have changed over the years, we're all moaning about our liberty bodices. I also hated my school shoes, brogues when all the other girls in my class seemed to have such lovely little shoes. My dad said when I started acting like a girl and not kicking the life out of my shoes I could have some more fashionable ones.

I turned up one day with a little powder on my cheeks and McVicar spotted it immediately and dragged me to the cloakroom while I washed it off. What about those awful navy blue "knitted" swimming cossies, as soon as the water got to them they really used to sag plus they would leave loads of blue fluff stuck all over your body.

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 10:59:02 PM »
Hi girls I must confess that I too was made to wear a Liberty Bodice over my vest and for my sins my mummy used to make me little bags to hang around my neck with a camphor block in it!!! this thing was trapped between my vest and my bodice!!!poor thing couldn't breathe (Oh sorry that was me!!! I was overcome with fumes he he!!!) had a bit of a poorly chest when I was little. I hasten to add that I no longer need to wear such attire now he he. Oh the joys......

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 08:51:07 PM »

I turned up one day with a little powder on my cheeks and McVicar spotted it immediately and dragged me to the cloakroom while I washed it off.

I was always anxious to cover up my freckles so used to slosh a liquid powder (an oxymoron, surely) on and every day I was told to go out of class and wash it off.  Oh, the traumas of being young!