Author Topic: Claudette Waite from Churchdown School  (Read 31377 times)

maureen

• View Profile
Claudette Waite from Churchdown School
« on: March 13, 2006, 02:20:00 PM »
I would love to contact this old friend from Churchdown School 1958-1963. Or any girls that were there about that time.

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Claudette Waite from Churchdown School
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 08:43:51 PM »
Quote from: maureen
I would love to contact this old friend from Churchdown School 1958-1963. Or any girls that were there about that time.

I was at Churchdown Maureen although I left in April 1959.  I am sure though, we will have some mutual memories to share.

Bren

maureen

• View Profile
Claudette Waite from Churchdown School
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 10:57:46 AM »
Hello Brenda, I wonder what we can remember between us, you probably had Mrs Gatehouse as headmistress when you were there. As I said I started there about 58 when I would have been 11 and left at 16 in 1963. I remember Gatehouse for a while and then Miss Holt took over and deputy head was Miss McVicar. I have been in touch with a couple of girls from my year but the ones I remember so much about, like Claudette I cannot find.

Like hear about what you remember though.

Regards Mo x

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 09:43:14 PM »
Quote from: Brenda
I was at Churchdown Maureen although I left in April 1959.  I am sure though, we will have some mutual memories to share.Bren
                       I too am trying to find ladies from around the 30's / 40's  without much success, trying to find my sisters old friends but not much success as they married and changed their names  but some of you Downham types might know of  Dorothy Russell, or Winnie Harris ( Brenda ,a relative ? ) or from the Mica works in Bromley or anyone who knew my sister Louisa  (Rene ) Just give us a buzz.          Meanwhile nice to have you back Bren,give my regards to Syd, buy a couple of mongoose and let them have fun with all your wriggling friends. Catch up later   dickie .............................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 08:19:38 AM »

Hi Maureen
I was at Churchdown between 1955 and 1960.  I remember Mrs Gatehouse and left the same year she did.  I remember that piano of hers that no-one was allowed near.  I started in Mrs Carricks class and then to Mrs Kingsleys class.  Hated needlework so wasn't one of her favourites.
I don't remember at Claudette Waite though.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
Churchdown School
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 08:53:22 PM »
Hello Brenda, I wonder what we can remember between us, you probably had Mrs Gatehouse as headmistress when you were there.
Like hear about what you remember though.

Regards Mo x

Hallo Mo,

Yes, the dreaded Mrs Gatehouse was the headmistress.  She never had a cigarette out of her mouth and absolutely stunk of smoke.  I was terrified of her.  I was in Mrs Winfield's form.  My other teachers were: Miss Taylor, history; Mrs Atkins, science; Miss Callard, French; Mrs Brown, English; Miss Farley,P.T.  Miss Greenwood, geography; can't remember the name of the Domestic Science teacher.  I was always in trouble with her because I was so hopeless at the subject.  

Then of course, there were the awful berets that we all took off as soon as we got outside the gates.  

I don't know how you fared at school but I thought my own enthusiasm for learning was squashed by uninspired teaching and teachers.

Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
Churchdown School
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 08:57:31 PM »
and then to Mrs Kingsleys class.  Hated needlework so wasn't one of her favourites.

Am I confusing Mrs Kingsley with Miss Kingsnorth whom, I thought, I had for RI.  And I forgot Miss Latham,(who looked like a tortoise) needlework and music.  I was pretty hopeless at needlework too.  It took me a whole year to make the initial apron.  I think I completely only two articles in my whole time there.  As for those bobbins - I never could get my head around threading a sewing machine.  

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: Churchdown School
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 03:15:51 AM »
and then to Mrs Kingsleys class.  Hated needlework so wasn't one of her favourites.

Am I confusing Mrs Kingsley with Miss Kingsnorth whom, I thought, I had for RI.  And I forgot Miss Latham,(who looked like a tortoise) needlework and music.  I was pretty hopeless at needlework too.  It took me a whole year to make the initial apron.  I think I completely only two articles in my whole time there.  As for those bobbins - I never could get my head around threading a sewing machine.  

Bren

Miss Kingsnorth did RI, and left due to some illness.  My apron took forever, and from then on my mind is a blank.  Loved Miss Taylors history class she made it so interesting.  Miss Farley pushed me in the water at Downham pool.  Do you remember that terrible place?  I hear it has gone now.  It was always freezing in the change rooms, and so small cubicles, and I always dropped my knickers on the floor ( :oops: ).  But the good thing was that on the walk back to school we always found the bakers van and had a donut or two, or three, or.......  I don't think I learnt anything much at school.  Couldn't type, although now I can do at least 200wpm watch the sparks fly. My geography was terrible, we did Australia, and the only city I could place in the correct position was Perth, so I was obviously destined to be here.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 11:54:36 AM »
Hiya Bren, just reading through all the various mails you've sent about Churchdown. I certainly do remember Downham Baths, I remember the roof fell in there and I'm not sure if it was in use at the time, I certainly hope not. We went a few times with the school but I still don't swim well even though I was pushed in by the teachers. Still don't think that's a good idea. We used to have two to a cubicle and I always got in with some busty girl and I used to struggle with my liberty bodice and would do my utmost not to let them see me. I remember being followed home from school loads of time by the prefects to make sure I didn't take my beret off until I got to my front door, how archaic is that and of course I used to take it off half way up Shroffold, we used to fold them in half and clip them to our hair, cut the bottom off our ties and fray them, our poor mums what they had to put up with. I didn't get any qualifications at school, only typing and handwriting, but after leaving school on the Friday and starting work on the Monday I've never been out of work, only for the 4 years when our son was born.

But we certainly had fun at Churchdown and although I was in trouble daily and was told I was the only girl to get the cane (so they said), I enjoyed myself and hardly ever had a day off. Maybe it was all the confrontation with the teachers and they didnt stand any nonsense did they, if you stepped out of line you got a hiding.

I loved my school dinners there too.

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Churchdown School
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 09:49:04 PM »
and then to Mrs Kingsleys class.  Hated needlework so wasn't one of her

Bren

Miss Kingsnorth did RI, and left due to some illness.  My apron took forever, and from then on my mind is a blank.  Loved Miss Taylors history class she made it so interesting.  Miss Farley pushed me in the water at Downham pool.  Do you remember that terrible place?  I hear it has gone now.  It was always freezing in the change rooms, and so small cubicles, and I always dropped my knickers on the floor ( :oops: ).  But the good thing was that on the walk back to school we always found the bakers van and had a donut or two, or three, or.......  I don't think I learnt anything much at school.  Couldn't type, although now I can do at least 200wpm watch the sparks fly. My geography was terrible, we did Australia, and the only city I could place in the correct position was Perth, so I was obviously destined to be here.

In hindsight, I believe Miss Kingsnorth had a mastectomy and her swollen arm (she had been away for many weeks) was probably lymphoedema due to have lymph glands removed.  Miss Farley made me run from the playing fields up Downham Way and I had a paddy and said I couldn't run and couldn't breathe and that gave her such a fright, she sent me to the nurse (cow of a woman).  Interesting that you found Miss Taylor's history classes interesting because I always found them so boring and yet I love history. As for geography - well, I was hopeless, utterly hopeless.  Hated, just hated swimming lessons and getting dried and changed.  Never had enough time to dry off properly and I was always terrified someone would open the curtains while I was still changing.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 09:53:20 PM »
[I used to struggle with my liberty bodice and would do my utmost not to let them see me.
 I didn't get any qualifications at school, only typing and handwriting, but after leaving school on the Friday and starting work on the Monday I've never been out of work, only for the 4 years when our son was born.

I remember trying to explain to people what a liberty bodice was! 

I didn't get any qualifications at school either.  I left just after my 15th birthday and started work in an office in London.  We were a generation that learnt as we went, I think.  Now, you can't do anything without a piece of paper and often that piece of paper says people are qualified for something - but they still don't have a clue.

[/quote]

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 10:26:31 AM »
Yep, I do know what a pestiferous thing a "Liberty" Bodice was with all those little buttons which I am certain were there only to stop me taking a liberty! !           dickie   X x ...................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 08:49:33 PM »
Oh Dickie, Dickie!

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 12:01:48 AM »
[I used to struggle with my liberty bodice and would do my utmost not to let them see me.
 I didn't get any qualifications at school, only typing and handwriting, but after leaving school on the Friday and starting work on the Monday I've never been out of work, only for the 4 years when our son was born.

I remember trying to explain to people what a liberty bodice was! 

[/quote]

Oh I feel so much better now - I thought I was the only one who was made to wear a liberty bodice.  I remember my Mum bought one for my daughter when she was about 5yo.  She soon told her Gran what she thought of it, never wore it - and of course I didn't make her - how could I?  I wish I had been that brave to tell my Mum what she could do with her Liberty bodice.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 03:16:46 AM »
Rest assured Pauline, I think most of us spent at least a few years suffering because of those damned liberty bodices. I believe I was still at Pendragon though when Mum decided I need not wear one  - thanks goodness - but oh dear, the fuss she made when I, a teenager at Churchdown, decided I would no longer wear a vest!  She reacted as if I had ambitions to become a wanton woman.