Author Topic: Downham Memories  (Read 20170 times)

Bel

• View Profile
Downham Memories
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 01:44:35 PM »
My Aunt Lil and Uncle Harry Woodward lived in Geriant Road with their 5 sons and one daughter Rosie.  Any memories of them?  Bel

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Downham Memories
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 04:50:08 AM »
Quote from: David Line

Can anyone remember Dr Nathaniel Hockman who had a surgery off Downham Way. He was a superb GP who treated all my childhood illnesses - mumps, measles, chickenpox, etc - with great sympathy?

Hallo David,

Dr Hockman was our family GP during our Downham years.  Superb is not the word!  He was a wonderful man and the very epitome of what one always hopes a GP will be.  He worked damned hard too and rarely had help.  I can't imagine any GP these days putting in the hours he did plus the house calls as well.
House calls?  I don't know what it is like in England these days but just try getting a house call out here in Oz.  No hope!

Brenda

Brenda

• View Profile
Downham Memories
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 04:55:27 AM »
[quote="Dick Eagle Belx[/quote]
   Sadlymine did not fare safto well,er being rushed into Lewisham on last Thursday, she had another heart attack which proved too much for an already weakened condition .

Hallo Dickie,

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your sister.  These things are not easy to bear.  Am thinking of you.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
Downham Memories
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 04:57:54 AM »
Quote from: Bel
My Aunt Lil and Uncle Harry Woodward lived in Geriant Road with their 5 sons and one daughter Rosie.  Any memories of them?  Bel

No the name doesn't ring any bells ( :D ) with me.

I don't know anyones name that end of Gareth Grove.  

Our Doctor was Dr Kelman along Burnt Ash Hill, he was South African.  It was a good system in those days, if you wanted to see him you just turned up at the surgery and took your turn, no bookings no receptionists, and everyone knew whose turn it was.  But we had to be prepared to wait a while because he didn't rush you in and out!  Now days if you are ill you have to be psychic and know 3 days in advance.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Downham Memories
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 06:02:48 AM »
.I don't know anyones name that end of Gareth Grove.  
Our Doctor was Dr Kelman along Burnt Ash Hill, he was South African.  It was a good system in those days, if you wanted to see him you just turned up at the surgery and took your turn, no bookings no receptionists, and everyone knew whose turn it was. .[/quote]         Pauline, we do have common ground in your choice of GP's as I did mention Mark Kelman once before. his wifewas also qualified and acted as his dispencer for medicines From his Surgery in Downham Waynext to the rent office , he moved into Burnt Ash opposite the bottom of Launcelot. You must be about the same age as his daughter, who I occasionally looked after when not cleaning his Austin 9 car (Reg. No.  "BLN 191 " ). He was my mentor and a good friend, My Mother had a late child, a boy I have mentioned before and Mark wanted to adopt him  One of the few people I have ever looked up to     dickie................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Downham Memories
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 09:56:55 PM »
  Bel, were you related to the Morley family in Capstone ? I believe they had a connection with the Goldsmiths and a family in Geraint too because I used to go there with Bill Morley.  Incidently ,a cock-up with my sister owing to a technicality Rene could not be released by Camberwell so everything has been put back for one week. She was in Lewisham so what the hell has it to do with Camberwell ???. (Do we still pay the archaic dues to take a body through each Borough, if we do I want my wings before I pop off !)   dickie .....................X
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Pauline

• View Profile
Downham Memories
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 01:40:06 AM »
Quote from: Dick Eagle
  Bel, were you related to the Morley family in Capstone ? I believe they had a connection with the Goldsmiths and a family in Geraint too because I used to go there with Bill Morley.  Incidently ,a cock-up with my sister owing to a technicality Rene could not be released by Camberwell so everything has been put back for one week. She was in Lewisham so what the hell has it to do with Camberwell ???. (Do we still pay the archaic dues to take a body through each Borough, if we do I want my wings before I pop off !)   dickie .....................X

I went to school with a Brenda Goldsmith
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Bel

• View Profile
Downham Memories
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 11:55:28 AM »
My aunt and uncle had friends in Capstone Road, but I wasnt related. Can't understand all this re Camberwell and Lewisham.  Most of my relations who have gone over to the other side ended up in Hither Green...me......I have given instructions to my 3 sons that I want my ashes scattered off the end of Southend Pier. (that is if it hasnt been burnt down yet again!) Belx

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Downham Memories
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 09:24:36 PM »
My aunt and uncle had friends in Capstone Road, but I wasnt related. Can't understand all this re Camberwell and Lewisham.  Most of my relations who have gone over to the other side ended up in Hither Green...me......I have given instructions to my 3 sons that I want my ashes scattered off the end of Southend Pier. (that is if it hasnt been burnt down yet again!) Belx
Bel,why travel to an exotic land like Sahfend ????? why not Sahfend village, into Peter Pan's Pool ! and choose a very windy day Plum       dickie.................X

Bel

• View Profile
Downham Memories
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 10:15:43 PM »
:roll: you have given me food for thought Dickie,  or rather food for the ducks! Belx

Bel

• View Profile
Downham Memories
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2006, 10:23:14 AM »
:lol: Big Sis says I should be scattered on Durham Hill off the pimple, as she was always led to believe that 7 winds met there.  Wonder what she is trying to tell me :?:   Belx