Author Topic: Ack Ack Gun Durhamhill  (Read 5589 times)

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Ack Ack Gun Durhamhill
« on: March 08, 2006, 12:38:58 AM »
I hope you do not mind me bringing this up again, as a part of Downhams history I would like to find out. I have enclosed a message I got from Lewisham studies and Archives:
Dear John
Thank you for your enquiry, unfortunately very little has been written of the history of Downham [yet!] but the other night I was talking to some one who was raised in Downham during the war and one thing he did mention was that there were an AA gun emplacement at Durham Hill, Downham. So I can confirm that I have been told that there was one there.
Is that all you needed to know?
Yours Sincerely,
Sally Deves
Archivist
Local Studies and Archives Centre
Lewisham Library (2nd floor)
199-201 Lewisham High Street
London SE13 6LG
Tel: 020 8297 0682

I dont understand the "no History of Downham yet" part I think we will have to educate them. Anycase maybe some of you guys can help me with this little bit of Downhams History if you are interested. Smiffy.
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: Ack Ack Gun Durhamhill
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 04:13:10 AM »
Quote from: JSmith
I hope you do not mind me bringing this up again, as a part of Downhams history I would like to find out. I have enclosed a message I got from Lewisham studies and Archives:
Dear John
Thank you for your enquiry, unfortunately very little has been written of the history of Downham [yet!] but the other night I was talking to some one who was raised in Downham during the war and one thing he did mention was that there were an AA gun emplacement at Durham Hill, Downham. So I can confirm that I have been told that there was one there.
Yours Sincerely,
Sally Deves
Archivist
Local Studies and Archives Centre
Lewisham Library (2nd floor)
199-201 Lewisham High Street
London SE13 6LG
Tel: 020 8297 0682

I dont understand the "no History of Downham yet" part I think we will have to educate them. Anycase maybe some of you guys can help me with this little bit of Downhams History if you are interested. Smiffy.

Trouble is - anyone I could have asked has long since departed.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 01:21:28 PM »
Dear John
Yours Sincerely,
Sally Deves
. Anycase maybe some of you guys can help me with this little bit of Downhams History if you are interested. Smiffy.
Smudge,first time I have seen a "Dear John " letter. However my Knowlege of Downham,though personal, is first hand. Although from 1943 I did not see much of the old place, to my knowlege the only permenant Gun emplacement would have been where Mallory now is rather than Durham Hill with its restricted entries. There was a tarmacked area in front of the old Library and  Baths ,which was used by Mobile Anti-aircraft guns of which the few on the Estate appear to have had a roving commission .There were Emplacements around the Cemetery covering Hither Green Marshalling Yard with Batteries Inside the Graveyard, plus the Park the other side of the line (Mountains Park ?) I'll try my Bruv-in-law, his sister was on the guns (Even starred in a film about them !    give us a day or so    dickie..............................................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Dear John
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 12:16:13 AM »
:lol: Smudge,first time I have seen a "Dear John " letter.

Yes dickie I get a lot of dear john letters, but it's ok my wife of 35 years marriage is still with me, she never ran of with a "Sailor". The dear john letters seldom can't get passed the name "John Smith", I tell em it's the name i'm using this month and last month I was joe bloggs.Theres a thought  Maybe i'll try Dickie Eagle next month :wink: Smudger/Smiffy

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dear John
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 09:10:45 AM »
:lol: Smudge,first time I have seen a "Dear John " letter.

Yes dickie I get a lot of dear john letters, but it's ok my wife of 35 years marriage is still with me, she never ran of with a "Sailor". The dear john letters seldom can't get passed the name "John Smith", I tell em it's the name i'm using this month and last month I was joe bloggs.Theres a thought  Maybe i'll try Dickie Eagle next month :wink: Smudger/Smiffy
         roger Smudge, must admit I did use the name "Smith" a couple of times, but I don't think that American WAVE gave me her real name either. (Mmmmmm, but she was friendly !).               Seriously mate try the Website of   :- Ideal Homes/Suburbia in focus/ lewisham.      OK you'll find it interesting                       dickie.............................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Ideal Homes/Suburbia in focus/ lewisham
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 03:08:04 AM »
That is a great site Dickie, shows more photo's of Downham. One I especially liked was the tram at the bottom of downham way, behind it you can see the concrete air raid shelters that where on both sides of the road there, and dont forget the old Splendid, or later known as flea pit or bug hutch,saw a lot of flicks there. By the way outside of the old country you have to add .UK after Lewisham.  Nice one Dickie.  :wink:  Smudge.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 12:21:01 AM »
Dear JohnThank you for your enquiry, unfortunately very little has been written of the history of Downham [yet!] but the other night I was talking to some one who was raised in Downham during the war and one thing he did mention was that there were an AA gun emplacement at Durham Hill, Downham. So I can confirm that I have been told that there was one
Tel: 020 8297 0682 [/quote
                                                        Smudge, you have more of Downham history available right here, try  the " enquiries downham online.org.com.uk " or a short cut you can try is "Downham bombings "          suited ? dickie....................