Author Topic: Hopping season again!  (Read 5600 times)

Dickie E

Hopping season again!
« on: September 13, 2003, 09:20:01 AM »
Right children, pack the pram (Bassinet of course ) Pots &Pans, beddins wellies.old clothes and Pinnies,  Rather like todays "Boot sale Wallahs" only for three weeks in duration it's time for the annual holiday ,and make a bit of money too ! the kids also had a role to play, Fishing in the Medway, gathering fresh mushrooms (at 5 am ), or nicking (scrumping ?) fruit & vegetables. I first learnt how to use "Carbide bombs on Fisg (fisg???I wonder if they taste as good as fish ? ) in the river to stun the blighters, or in a Rabbit warren to the same effect with the bunnies (Britains first import to the Land of Wunda !) The Hop Picking season, I'd still go today if it were possible, as it is I can wander down my garden and picka sprig off my vines for a button-hole, oh yes and a couple for Brenda. Anyone else ?  Between that and Scout Camping trips life was all holidays ,Ah well bye Marden, Goudhurst, Lamberhurst, Paddock Woods Beneden, Biddenden  ,dream on you lot   Dickie...........

Dickie Eagle

Re: Hopping season again!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 07:54:45 AM »
I can wander down my garden and picka sprig off my vines for a button-hole, oh yes and a couple for Brenda. Anyone else ?  Between that and Scout Camping trips life was all holiday  Dickie...........[/quote] Browsing back to last September, so I went down to look at the Hops in the Garden, they are starting to flower so another 10 weeks should see them ready to deck the house (Keeping the flies out) and a wreath for brother Joe who used to love "Hopping" season. Time flies doesn't it I've just realised Joe,my Youngest Brother, went in ' 92  but he has still a great family of his own that I keep in touch with now to get on with life I'm going to Denham Saturday Boot fair for a couple of hours  Bye all Dickie...........

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 11:02:32 PM »
Quote from: Dickie E
down my garden and picka sprig off my vines for a button-hole, oh yes and a couple for Brenda. Anyone else ?  

Oh Dickie, I can smell those fresh hops now!  I daresay I could find them here if I tried hard enough.... one day perhaps.
Brenda

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 11:03:45 PM »
Quote from: Dickie E
down my garden and picka sprig off my vines for a button-hole, oh yes and a couple for Brenda. Anyone else ?  

Oh Dickie, I can smell those fresh hops now!  I daresay I could find them here if I tried hard enough.... one day perhaps.

I have a photo of myself with sister, mum and some neighbours waiting to get on the coach to go hop-picking.  I will sort it out and send it to Mike to put in the photo gallery. Brenda

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 10:31:51 AM »
I have a photo of myself with sister, mum and some neighbours waiting to get on the coach to go hop-picking.  I will sort it out and send it to Mike to put in the photo gallery. Brenda[/quote]      
 Not quite in season yet but the hops are doing well, i've dug out a couple of pictures for the library of my parents, and of my grandparents at Marden, and Goudhurst . May do a nostalgia trip this year .....dickie