Author Topic: Hi Brenda Dickie & Graham  (Read 16764 times)

smiffy

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Brenda Dickie & Graham
« on: September 05, 2003, 03:28:15 AM »
The four aerial photos of Downham, the only one I recognise is the one of Durham Hill showing Churchdown , perhaps one of you will enlighten me. Fancy forgetting the old place. keep seeing reference to Berys "idealhome" how can i see it. Yup you guessed it I have not been on the site for a while, that's bad. Johnny Smith:(

Anonymous

Re: Hi Brenda Dickie & Graham
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 12:40:09 PM »
Quote from: smiffy
The four aerial photos of Downham, the only one I recognise is the one of Durham Hill showing Churchdown , perhaps one of you will enlighten me. Fancy forgetting the old place. keep seeing reference to Berys "idealhome" how can i see it. Yup you guessed it I have not been on the site for a while, that's bad. Johnny Smith:(
   Well we have been getting all those hilarious e-mails Smudge,the picture of Churchdown and part of Durham Hill, the left hand side used to be allotments !I had one irate old geezer come racing across because he thought I was after his cabbages, I had to point out that my interest was in far finer things,such as the Downham Central beauty who resided in No.30. My Eva.   St Barnabas stands out in the aeriel view too. Hope you are wearing your LPTB badge with pride mate.    Dickie..............

smiffy

• View Profile
    • Email
Allotment
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 11:51:39 PM »
Hi Dickie    Yep my Dad had an allotment on Durham Hill it was by the 3 or 5 trees that stood in a row closer to the Churchdown Shroffold entrance, it's some of the other pics that I cannot place, yes I have the LPTB badge you sent & looking after it thanks. Is there any one who lives in Downham still,  on the site, I am wondering if Downham Central school is dust now & what have they built instead?  Smiffy :)

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
Re: Allotment
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003, 12:33:29 AM »
I am wondering if Downham Central school is dust now & what have they built instead?  Smiffy :)

Where was Downham Central school? My guess is it's what is now Malory school, on Launcelot Road.

smiffy

• View Profile
    • Email
Downham Central
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2003, 01:38:48 AM »
The school was on Goudhurst rd back to back with Rangefield school. Goudhurst off of Glenbow, Glenbow off Downham way opposite Churchdown! no it was'nt that was further up it was opposite Shroffold, ok, now we have a guy talking to himself on an e-mail!!!!.  Smiffy. :shock:

Anonymous

Re: Allotment
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2003, 08:45:56 AM »
Quote from: mike
I am wondering if Downham Central school is dust now & what have they built instead?  Smiffy :)

Where was Downham Central school? My guess is it's what is now Malory school, on Launcelot Road.
                                Mallory is on the site of what was the old Launcelot Road Infants and adjoined Junior School. Very close to the shops "Up the Top" and opposite the "Tavern".I think the Central was nearer Rangefield :cry: In 1931 I was one of the Angels in the Christmas Nativity Plays at Launcelot. My chum John Lindzner was King Herod and for the rest of his life I always called him "Herod",even on his Christmas cards ! His sister Claire worked in Boltons.          Dickie..................

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Brenda Dickie & Graham
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2003, 01:19:10 PM »
:lol: G'day Smiffy,
Have sent you an email about Downham Central School' will send pictures to your email address as soon as I receive it, it was knocked down and a Collage put in its place, I lived in 57 Goudhurst Road and used to climb over the fence, where the boy Roy Kastle used to live backcing on to the toilets, instead of walking down to the entrance oposite Butts Road.
All the best Keith ( K9 )
My name is Keith Allen but I use ( K9 ) as my nick name.
Regards Keith.

Graham

• View Profile
    • Email
Downham Central School.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2003, 07:13:54 PM »
Greetings Keith,

My 'old school' of Downham Central was also know as Downham Secondary Modern for Boys. It was located on Goudhurst Road behind Rangefield Road Primary School. I attended between 1953 and 1959.

My understanding from photographs posted by  Norman Sells and John Smith on the www.friends reunited site.co.uk that it later became an adult college for a while. It was then demolished a few years ago and houses built upon the site as the pictures show.

The 'friends site' lists the school as Downham Boys and  Downham Central. It seems the past pupils knew it as different names.

I notice from the above site you also went to Rangefield Road. My next door neighbour was a teacher there....Mr. Davis.

I hope this information stops Smiffy talking to himself.

Regards,  Graham Allen.
Graham A

Graham

• View Profile
    • Email
Downham Central School for Boys.
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2003, 07:20:12 PM »
Greetings Mike.

In reply to your question "Where was Downham Central School?"

The answer lies in my post to Keith and on the friends reunited site where pictures have been posted.

Regards,  Graham.
Graham A

smiffy

• View Profile
    • Email
Talking to yourself
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2003, 11:59:50 PM »
:( I realise this going of the subject gang, but I don't think I will ever stop talking to myself because I never get an argument back!.  John [Smiffy ]Smith. :shock:

Anonymous

Re: Talking to yourself
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2003, 05:32:48 PM »
:( I realise this going of the subject gang, but I don't think I will ever stop talking to myself because I never get an argument back!.  John [Smiffy ]Smith. :shock:
  Smudge mate, I thought you were talking to yourself because it's the only time you can have an intelligent conversation     Dickie..................

smiffy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Talking to yourself
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2003, 11:14:39 PM »
:[/quote]   Smudge mate, I thought you were talking to yourself because it's the only time you can have an intelligent conversation     Dickie..................[/quote].   :)   Thanks Dickie, what a kind thing to say. When I log on to Downham on line I know I will get some intelligent conversation, all those people that lived in Downham, now spread all over the world, get together,  you make new friends & some old memories come back. Where's me 'anky?.  :cry:  Smudger

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2003, 12:28:49 AM »
The four aerial photos of Downham, the only one I recognise is the one of Durham Hill showing Churchdown , perhaps one of you will enlighten me.
Hallo Johnny,
Give me a couple of days and I will enlighten you via your email address.  It took me a little while to get my bearings too but once they are pointed out, you'll see the old places clearly in those maps.  
Brenda

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2003, 12:29:10 AM »
The four aerial photos of Downham, the only one I recognise is the one of Durham Hill showing Churchdown , perhaps one of you will enlighten me.
Hallo Johnny,
Give me a couple of days and I will enlighten you via your email address.  It took me a little while to get my bearings too but once they are pointed out, you'll see the old places clearly in those maps.  
Brenda

Graham

• View Profile
    • Email
Friends reunited..... address error!
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2003, 01:25:31 AM »

Apologies to all re the Friends reunited site address given in my letter 06.09.03, to Keith.

It should have read www.friendsreunited.co.uk

I know you all know that because I see most of you are registered but I had to put the record straight.

I hope you all enjoy the 'Friends' site as much as I do.  I have made many contacts from my school and works days in England including a fellow London workmate who lives within fifty miles of me here in Canada.
It is a small world!
Graham A