Author Topic: The Names of Roads, Streets and Schools in Downham  (Read 8859 times)

Anonymous

The Names of Roads, Streets and Schools in Downham
« on: October 14, 2005, 08:01:57 AM »
Could anyone tell me who came up with using the names from the legends of King Arthur for the Roads, Streets and Schools in the area.

Bren$

Re: The Names of Roads, Streets and Schools in Downham
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 09:59:46 PM »
Quote from: Anonymous
Could anyone tell me who came up with using the names from the legends of King Arthur for the Roads, Streets and Schools in the area.

From what I've read, nobody knows.  Even Dickie (where are you Dickie?) who is our usual Downham encyclopaedia hasn't got the answer to that one.
Bren

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 10:20:45 AM »
Yep Knights of the Round Table

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 08:35:41 AM »
Quote from: Bren$

From what I've read, nobody knows.  Even Dickie (where are you Dickie?) who is our usual Downham encyclopaedia hasn't got the answer to that one.Bren
                                                                     nope Hun. I would be guessing but one gentleman who steered the old estate through at county hall was Lord Downham and he was a bit of an " Arthurian " so it is within the bounds or probabiliy that he initiathed the romantic theme that gave us Launcelot , Geraint  (correctlly Gerwaint ! ) , Galahad . Tristram, Camlan , Genevere  and one or two others BUT no Arthur ? though Ivorydown may have been a reference  to Camelot. the Camel river near Wadebrige That flows out of the Padstow estuary (and our Lady of Shallot ) THats all, just as I was thinking of hiberating  . hope it helps just as you go into the warm season,snakes and Bush fires beb areful where you flick your butts Pet       dickie ..............................

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 08:38:17 AM »
Quote from: Bren$

From what I've read, nobody knows.  Even Dickie (where are you Dickie?) who is our usual Downham encyclopaedia hasn't got the answer to that one.Bren
                                                                     nope Hun. I would be guessing but one gentleman who steered the old estate through at county hall was Lord Downham and he was a bit of an " Arthurian " so it is within the bounds or probabiliy that he initiathed the romantic theme that gave us Launcelot , Geraint  (correctlly Gerwaint ! ) , Galahad . Tristram, Camlan , Genevere  and one or two others BUT no Arthur ? though Ivorydown may have been a reference  to Camelot. the Camel river near Wadebrige That flows out of the Padstow estuary (and our Lady of Shallot ) THats all, just as I was thinking of hiberating  . hope it helps just as you go into the warm season,snakes and Bush fires be careful where you flick your butts Pet       dickie ..............................

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 01:43:43 AM »

No - I have no idea either.
But I lived in Geraint Road, and it was pronounced with the harsh 'G' sound as in Gerald, not as in Gift, which is the correct sound.  Well we were Downhamites after all!  What did we know of Authurian legend.  AND on the rear of my garden was Mallory school which is another link!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

dickie eagle

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 07:57:09 AM »
Quote from: Pauline

But I lived in Geraint Road, and it was pronounced with the harsh 'G' sound as in Gerald, not as in Gift, which is the correct sound.  Well we were Downhamites after all!  What did we know of Authurian legend.  AND on the rear of my garden was Mallory school which is another link!
              Mallory !. That scool in LAUNCELOT Rd used to be LAUNCELOT  infants and juniors which I attended : when my youngest brother  Barry went there some 26 years later it had changed to MALLORYnow I'm trying to think where Roundtable is ? dickie...........

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 08:08:22 AM »
Quote from: dickie  eagle
Quote from: Pauline

Mallory !. That scool in LAUNCELOT Rd used to be LAUNCELOT  infants and juniors which I attended : when my youngest brother  Barry went there some 26 years later it had changed to MALLORYnow I'm trying to think where Roundtable is ? dickie...........

No - Mallory is a different school to Launcelot School - I went there (Launceot).  Mallory is a huge Comprehensive School which has entrances in Launcelot Road and Gareth Grove.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

dickie eagle

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 09:49:00 PM »
[quote="Pauline"No - Mallory is a different school to Launcelot School - I went there (Launceot).  Mallory is a huge Comprehensive School which has entrances in Launcelot Road and Gareth Grove.[/quote]
         Used to have a friend there in Gareth grove, right opposite the mallory entrance lived the Lindzner family,  but  what I was waiting for was an expression of incredulity that my younger brother was 26 years younger than me. So Launcelot still stands ! and is the copy of Peter Pan still standing inthe infants playground too ?

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 02:21:33 AM »
Quote from: dickie eagle
[quote="Pauline"No - Mallory is a different school to Launcelot School - I went there (Launceot).  Mallory is a huge Comprehensive School which has entrances in Launcelot Road and Gareth Grove.
         Used to have a friend there in Gareth grove, right opposite the mallory entrance lived the Lindzner family,  but  what I was waiting for was an expression of incredulity that my younger brother was 26 years younger than me. So Launcelot still stands ! and is the copy of Peter Pan still standing inthe infants playground too ?
[/quote]

OK Dickie here goes "Ohh!!! Arr!!! IS your brother 26 years younger than you!!!!"""
How's that?
I don't know about the statue of Peter Pan, I left before it was put there.  A few things I do remember about my days in Launcelot School:
The clock in the hall was one of those railway station clocks, with a door at the bottom for winding.  And if the door was open the fairy was out and about.
Also in the playground was a patch of relaid gravel, and at times stipulated by the teacher that area became a magic zone, and all sorts of things would happen to you if you went into it.  Ahh!! the joys of innocence and the innocent times in which we lived.  I cannot imagine how teachers would 'get away' with that sort of thing today.
I remember school dinners.  Which looking back were not that bad!!!!  The sweets were not always that healthy, but we didn't fall asleep at our desks, my cousin worked in the kitchens so I always had seconds.  I also remember the spoonful of malt we had, I loved malt (ok I'm weird) and always took a dessert spoon which when full of malt would only just fit into my mouth!  This was replaced by col liver oil capsules, which for me started a habit that continues to this day!!!!

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 12:11:50 PM »
what I was waiting for was an expression of incredulity that my younger brother was 26 years younger than me. So Launcelot still stands ! and is the copy of Peter Pan still standing inthe infants playground too ?[/quote][/quote]

OK Dickie here goes "Ohh!!! Arr!!! IS your brother 26 years younger than you!!!!"""
How's that?
I don't know about the statue of Peter Pan, I left before it was put there.  A few things I do remember about my days in Launcelot School:
The clock in the hall was one of those railway station clocks, with a door at the bottom for winding.  And if the door was open the fairy was out and about.
Also in the playground was a patch of relaid gravel, !!![/quote]
 changed a bit then cos there used to be a nice garden in the centre of which was a duplicate of the "Peter Pan" in Hyde Park, well? next to the Serpentine anyway. The copy was made by the Headmistress and installed in 1928'ish. funny thing was we had a Wendy in the class too. and my apologies to Bren, it is St. Lukes and they also had a scout's troop (Green scarves with yellow borders with the obligatory Woggle ! ! ) and I still have mine, the woggle I mean      dickie.............................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 08:42:31 PM »
Roundtable Road runs out of Reigate Road (where my cousins the Goldsmiths used to live) My cousin Victor married a girl called Greta who used to live their .  Belx

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 09:11:47 AM »
Quote from: Dick Eagle
what I was waiting for was an expression of incredulity that my younger brother was 26 years younger than me. So Launcelot still stands ! and is the copy of Peter Pan still standing inthe infants playground too ?
[/quote]

[/quote]  changed a bit then cos there used to be a nice garden in the centre of which was a duplicate of the "Peter Pan" in Hyde Park, well? next to the Serpentine anyway. The copy was made by the Headmistress and installed in 1928'ish. funny thing was we had a Wendy in the class too. and my apologies to Bren, it is St. Lukes and they also had a scout's troop (Green scarves with yellow borders with the obligatory Woggle ! ! ) and I still have mine, the woggle I mean      dickie.............................[/quote][/quote]

No there wasn't a statue there when I started in 1948.  But there was that patch of tarmac in the centre of the infants playground which may well have been where the Peter Pan statue once stod.

blore

• View Profile
    • Email
roundtable road
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 02:23:40 PM »
Roundtable Road runs out of Reigate Road (where my cousins the Goldsmiths used to live) My cousin Victor married a girl called Greta who used to live their .  Belx
it runs out to ballamore road  with  ballamore school at the end  i used to live at no 14 roundtable  my mum lived there from 1948 to 2000 when she died  grace blore
GRACE QUINN  NEE BLORE