Author Topic: The Green  (Read 18651 times)

adcross

• View Profile
    • Email
The Green
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2005, 04:27:08 AM »
Hello Bren4,
I lived at 306 Shroffold Road and you are correct about the piece of ground between Downham Way and Ballamore Road being named The Green, when I was last back there the Bapist Church was still on it.
You mentioned that your mother worked as a dinner lady at Ballamore, she could well have served me. My mother in law ,later that is , was also a dinner lady there for years her name was Anne Day and the Day's lived at 57 Ballamore Road.

Regards Tony Cross   adcross@ozconnect.net
A.D.Cross

Anonymous

Re: The Green
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 11:48:18 AM »
Quote from: Bren4
.      Now Plum most churches apart from our left footed friends, whether Baptist, Methodist, Wesleyan, Reformist, Anabaptist, Lutherian etc. all come under the loose Banner of C of E   (Church of England ) I've probably missed a couple .  'bye now      dickie.......................................
            A bit more useless information but when asked your religion in the Navy I put down C of E because it was easier than  Presbitarian , or even Anglican ! ! .(it was many moons later when I added longer words like Mantlepiece and Marmalade to my vocabulary )   dickie......................

Bren4

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 11:23:20 PM »
Quote from: adcross
Hello Bren4,
I lived at 306 Shroffold Road and you are correct about the piece of ground between Downham Way and Ballamore Road being named The Green, when I was last back there the Bapist Church was still on it.
You mentioned that your mother worked as a dinner lady at Ballamore, she could well have served me. My mother in law ,later that is , was also a dinner lady there for years her name was Anne Day and the Day's lived at 57 Ballamore Road.

Regards Tony Cross   adcross@ozconnect.net

What years would you have suffered school dinners Tony?  I can't remember the years my mother worked there.  She later got a job as school cleaner at Durham Hill School - more slave labour.  I am sure we all met in passing.

Bren

adcross

• View Profile
    • Email
The Green
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 06:46:43 AM »
Hello Bren 4,
Regarding the years spent dining at the Ballamore Road Cafe I really had to think and came up the answer that I must have endured the delights of LCC attempts at murdering really good food between the years 1946 to 1949 approx. I actually enjoyed the spoonful of malt more.

My wife also dined at Ballamore although she went to Pendragon, they were the ones that put lumps of coal in their snowballs we from Ballamore wouldn't do anything like that and what a waste of coal in those days of rationing.

My wife went onto Durham Hill, the centre of higher learning, only because it was on a hill !. I had to walk all the way down to Downham Secondary in Goudhurst Road. By walking I saved the tram fare for sweets from Boltons up the top.

Regards Tony Cross.
A.D.Cross

Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 08:24:06 PM »
Hello Bren 4,Regarding the years spent dining at the Ballamore Road Cafe I really had to think and came up the answer that I must have endured the delights of LCC attempts at murdering really good food between the years 1946 to 1949 approx. I actually enjoyed the spoonful of malt more.My wife also dined at Ballamore although she went to Pendragon,            Regards Tony Cross.
 {/quote}                               Bren, what or who is "Bren4 "??? and school dinners ? us sissies from the "Dogs Home " always went home, as no doubt you did Flower it wasn't until I entered  the hallowed halls of the North London (Holloway) that we dined in a Refractory which ,being a "Scholarship"  meant free dining which was an improvement on Durham hill's free milk and malt and lots better than a jam sandwich too            dickie......................

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: The green in Downham
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2005, 07:24:45 AM »
Quote from: Bren4
Quote from: Guest
It in the A-Z Greater London map book, the green is in between Ballamore Road and Downham Way.

Many thanks.  That is the way I often walked to and from Grove Park Station.  I couldn't find it in my old A-Z - but will have another look to see if I have missed it.

Pauline,  my mother worked in the kitchens at Ballamore School as a dinner lady.  Slave labour. When I came out here, I took a job in the kitchen at the migrant hostel.  Then I knew just how hard my mother had worked.  Unlike you, I loathed school dinners.  I had a poor appetite and found it difficult to eat grisly meat and boiled swedes and in such quantities. Couldn't stand lumpy custard and cold tapioca either.  
Bren

Isn't that where there was a Hall of some kind, I remember I used to go to Girls Brigade there.  I don't ever recall it being called The Green though.   I can't imagine why estate agents would try to 'pretty up' that area by calling it the green.  I always remember the grass was about 3 feet high!!!!
Brenda - I was sorry to see the demise of school dinners, especially as my children would never eat properly, and now my grandchildren seem to bring most of their packed lunches home!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

adcross@ozconnect.net

The Green
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2005, 10:56:15 PM »
Hello Pauline,
I note that you mentioned being in the Girls Brigade at the Baptist Church at The Green. My brother in law's girlfriend at the time , now his wife , Irene Jensen took Girls Brigade and Ted Day was the Scout Master there you may remember them, they were devouted Baptists  but they later saw a different light and stopped going to church altogether !.

I know what you mean about the long grass the place was always a mess, my best memories of it was during winter and using a folded up wooden garden chair as a bobsleigh to do the Downhan version of the downhill run, trouble is the iron railings made you pull up pretty quickly.  

Another good trick was to put a really thick book, one of the annuals usually, on top of a skate and start at the top of Dagonet Gardens and go through Shroffold Road intersection at high speed. I cannot believe that nobody ever collided with a car, but I don't think that there were too many cars on Downham in those days.

Regards Tony Cross.

Anonymous

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 01:59:17 AM »
Quote from: Anonymous
Hello Bren 4,Regarding the years spent dining at the Ballamore Road Cafe I really had to think and came up the answer that I must have endured the delights of LCC attempts at murdering really good food between the years 1946 to 1949 approx. I actually enjoyed the spoonful of malt more.My wife also dined at Ballamore although she went to Pendragon,            Regards Tony Cross.
 {/quote}                               Bren, what or who is "Bren4 "??? and school dinners ? us sissies from the "Dogs Home " always went home, as no doubt you did Flower it wasn't until I entered  the hallowed halls of the North London (Holloway) that we dined in a Refractory which ,being a "Scholarship"  meant free dining which was an improvement on Durham hill's free milk and malt and lots better than a jam sandwich too            dickie......................

Dickie

Holloway - is that the absolutely beautiful building that originated as a ladies college, and had the look of Hampton Court about it?
I once belonged to the Kent Parent Teachers Association, and one of our AGMs was held there over the Easter Holidays.  We were allocated a beautiful room with a turret window.  And ate in the hall with the paintings. Such a lovely building, pity no-one builds like that any more.

sharon

• View Profile
The Green
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2006, 12:24:07 PM »
Hi

I can confirm for the record that 'The Green' is where Downham Family Church now stands between Downham Way and Ballamore Road.  It was the Baptist Church in years gone by.  Very friendly - Sunday morning service now at 10.30am.

Bel

• View Profile
The Green
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2006, 02:30:25 PM »
Does the name Law, Burden or Rafferty ring a bell with anybody.  Belx

sharon

• View Profile
Law
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2006, 02:32:53 PM »
I have a friend whose maiden name was Law who was originally from Reigate Road

Bel

• View Profile
The Green
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2006, 12:02:38 PM »
These Laws lived in Shroffold I believe.  8 sisters and one brother.Belx

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
law
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2006, 08:58:29 PM »
Quote from: Bel
Does the name Law, Burden or Rafferty ring a bell with anybody.  Belx
One family Law in 17, Tristram, but George would be in his middle eighties by now ! strangely I got mixed up with one of you other families and confused Burden with the Burders Basil and sister Joan who was drop-dead Gorgeous ,hows Northumberland Avenue these days Bel, is Sis being good ?     dickie.................X
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Bel

• View Profile
The Green
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2006, 09:55:05 PM »
Nothumberland Heath is looking very green at the moment ||Dickie, and I am having my work cut out keeping big sis under control (she just wont do as she is told) Belx

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2006, 10:06:17 PM »
Hello Bren 4,
Regarding the years spent dining at the Ballamore Road Cafe I really had to think and came up the answer that I must have endured the delights of LCC attempts at murdering really good food between the years 1946 to 1949 approx. I actually enjoyed the spoonful of malt more.

My wife also dined at Ballamore although she went to Pendragon, they were the ones that put lumps of coal in their snowballs we from Ballamore wouldn't do anything like that and what a waste of coal in those days of rationing.

My wife went onto Durham Hill, the centre of higher learning, only because it was on a hill !. I had to walk all the way down to Downham Secondary in Goudhurst Road. By walking I saved the tram fare for sweets from Boltons up the top.

I seem to have missed a few thingies on the forum.  
It sounds as if we might have been heaving over school dinners together in 1948 - that's the year I started school at Pendragon.  Who were your wife's teachers at that school?  

Oh, those lumps of coal in snowballs!  I copped a good one round the ear once and - being a peculiar sort of child - refused to cry and give the horrid boy who threw it the satisfaction of seeing just how much it hurt.  And boy, did it hurt!

I lived opposite Durham Hill School.  I hope your wife wasn't one of those girls who used to pull my Churchdown beret off!

Bren

Regards Tony Cross.