Author Topic: The Green  (Read 18650 times)

Bren4

The Green
« on: October 06, 2005, 11:05:51 PM »
Where or what is "The Green".  I was browsing the Downham real estate pages and came across it.  I don't remember any place with such a name.  Either it's one of my memory black holes (got a lot of those lately) or it's something new.  Help me Downhamites old and new.
Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: The Green
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 08:44:08 AM »
Quote from: Bren4
Where or what is "The Green".  I was browsing the Downham real estate pages and came across it.  I don't remember any place with such a name.  Either it's one of my memory black holes (got a lot of those lately) or it's something new.  Help me Downhamites old and new.
Bren

Doesn't ring any bells with me Brenda.  I have mentally traversed the entire length and breadth of Downham, and nothing springs to mind.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Bel

• View Profile
The Green
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 01:17:00 PM »
all  i  can think  of  Brenda is  that I used to  live round a green and  we had a green opposite as well. A round expance of grass with the houses set round them.  When I was a kid the "Green Man"  used to come round and we all used to run as we were not allowed to play on them. At one time they put a fence around and in trying to climb over it one of the spikes went right through my dress and I was left hanging.   I  was put straight to bed mid afternoon and not allowed down till next morning, as It was my best dress and I was already to go visiting! :oops: Never tried it again tho...Bel

dickie eagle

the Green
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 08:59:04 AM »
Quote from: Bel
all  i  can think  of  Brenda is  that I used to  live round a green and  we had a green opposite as well. A round expance of grass with the houses set round them.  When I was a kid the "Green Man"  used to come round and we all used to run as we were not allowed to play on them. At one time they put a fence around and in trying to climb over it one of the spikes went right through my dress and I was left hanging.   I  was put straight to bed mid afternoon and not allowed down till next morning, as It was my best dress and I was already to go visiting! :oops: Never tried it again tho...Bel
poor Bel. I could have kissed it better.  The only time I ever heard the expression was at the bottom by the Change-over  any help ?as the conductor released the pole to connect the tram to the overhead wire    dickie......................xx

Bren4

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 10:04:51 PM »
Bren

Thank you all for delving into your memories - even if it was to no avail.
Downham had lots of greens, large and small, didn't it?  But none was officially called "The Green" as far as I remember.  Mike, as our present day Downham resident, you'll have to get cracking on this one for me.  Perhaps things have changed there much more than I realise.
Bel - love your anecdote of hanging off the fence!
Hallo Dickie - was it you missing for a while or me?
Bren

dickieeagle

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 10:29:56 PM »
!
Hallo Dickie - was it you missing for a while or me?Bren[/quote
     yep ! I was busy for a little while preparing for the oncoming lower temperatures ahead,plus preperation for a family wedding, my grand daughter Talia is getting spliced and all the necessary upheaval of new dresses and the obligatery Hat without which the occasion would not be the same , and Dad you can't come in "THAT" suit ? ? ?why not . it was good enough for mine ! and Bren, what were those words you used at your wedding ? (in case I trip over something ! ) Oterwise life goes on and this morning it was so heavily misty, Thick rolling clouds of it all the way to Ascot, I was driving by Braille, had a good market though  (so I enjoy being a part of the "Black economy " ) love to you all, - any time  ! -Dickie .....................

The green in Downham
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 08:43:41 AM »
Is it not the green area in Moorside Road.

Anonymous

The Green
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 09:25:29 AM »
I think the Green is the Triangle area in Verdant lane shorofold road next to the church, I think the 124 bus use to turn around there.

Bren4

The Green
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 10:08:06 PM »
Quote from: Anonymous
I think the Green is the Triangle area in Verdant lane shorofold road next to the church, I think the 124 bus use to turn around there.

Yes, that's where the 124 bus turned unless it was going on to Grove Park.  However, rightly any houses surrounding the green would have come under the auspices of Shroffold Rd.  At least, I would have thought so.  Perhaps selling under "The Green" is more attractive eh?
Bren

dickie eagle

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 08:13:05 AM »
Quote from: Anonymous

Yes, that's where the 124 bus turned unless it was going on to Grove Park.  However, rightly any houses surrounding the green would have come under the auspices of Shroffold Rd.  At least, I would have thought so.  Perhaps selling under "The Green" is more attractive eh?
Bren[/ quote               If you mean the Wesleyan Church isn't that the junction of Northover and Shroffold which we used to refer to as "Wesley Green "  also I remember "Verdant" Lane as just that where we could go along the top of Perry's Farm and pick our own fruit as it were !    dickie........

Bren4

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 11:41:15 PM »
If you mean the Wesleyan Church isn't that the junction of Northover and Shroffold which we used to refer to as "Wesley Green "  also I remember "Verdant" Lane as just that where we could go along the top of Perry's Farm and pick our own fruit as it were !    dickie........[/quote][/quote]

It was St Luke's Dickie and it was Church of England.  But the place is right.  The buses used to turn into the bit of Shroffold Rd at the side of the church when they weren't going farther on.  Have you seen the picture of Perry's Farm on Downham Originals?  Fascinating.  
Bren

Anonymous

The Green
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 08:25:36 AM »
I asked my mum yestaday where the green was in downham and she said it is by the steps that takes you from downham way to ballamore road. Thats what is refered to as the "THE GREEN"

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 06:39:01 PM »
It was St Luke's Dickie and it was Church of England.  But the place is right.  The buses used to turn into the bit of Shroffold Rd at the side of the church when they weren't going farther on.  Have you seen the picture of Perry's Farm on Downham Originals?  Fascinating.  
Bren
              Flower our memories need this excercise ,but Smudge sent us a picture taken at the Grove Park end,you can see the tramway and a motorcycle plus chair,on his right is a cyclist in danger of going into the tramlines !. to the right is a low-lying building which is the church situated in a large  field on both sides of the field run two flights of steps down to Ballamore  .That is,my sister informs me," The Green".      Now Plum most churches apart from our left footed friends, whether Baptist, Methodist, Wesleyan, Reformist, Anabaptist, Lutherian etc. all come under the loose Banner of C of E   (Church of England ) I've probably missed a couple .  'bye now      dickie.......................................

The green in Downham
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 09:16:45 PM »
It in the A-Z Greater London map book, the green is in between Ballamore Road and Downham Way.

Bren4

Re: The green in Downham
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2005, 11:11:29 PM »
Quote from: Guest
It in the A-Z Greater London map book, the green is in between Ballamore Road and Downham Way.

Many thanks.  That is the way I often walked to and from Grove Park Station.  I couldn't find it in my old A-Z - but will have another look to see if I have missed it.

Pauline,  my mother worked in the kitchens at Ballamore School as a dinner lady.  Slave labour. When I came out here, I took a job in the kitchen at the migrant hostel.  Then I knew just how hard my mother had worked.  Unlike you, I loathed school dinners.  I had a poor appetite and found it difficult to eat grisly meat and boiled swedes and in such quantities. Couldn't stand lumpy custard and cold tapioca either.  
Bren