Author Topic: A bit more Memory lane  (Read 7428 times)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
A bit more Memory lane
« on: August 25, 2003, 11:18:23 PM »
Reading through the old mailings and Keith's longing for the "Tuppeny Rush" on saturday mornings at the "Splendid", reminded me of the large gentleman with a walrus moustache and a military bearing who controlled the queues waiting outside, the Doorman in his pale ble topcoat with gold piping ,gold epaulettes, and his war medals. There were lots of "characters" on the estate in the days leading up to , and in to the War which unfortunately stopped the saturday night "Meat auctions" in Hammets butchers shop up the top. To liven up the proceedures the butchers woulthrow offal (Kidnies.liver,hearts, ox tongue etc ) into the crowdor even the odd couple of sausages ! I used to go home with my shirt stuffed full. Talking of Offal does anyone remember an old black&white TV programme called "Does the Team think " with Gilbert Harding, Lady Lewisham, Tommy Trinder etc. The subject turned to "Offal" and Gilbert confessed he liked Ox tongue, Lady Lewisham then shrieked "Oooh, I couldn't possibly eat anything from an animals mouth "  and Tinder grinned at her and retorted "Do you eat Eggs Darling ? ? ?"        Oh well, bye for now, Dickie.................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
A bit more Memory lane
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 02:17:06 PM »
Good one Dickie, do you remember the thin blue line of Police men coming from Belingham to line up in the aditorium before they let us in
for the Tuppeny Rush, we must have been a ruff lot in them days,
Kidnies, liver,hearts and Chickin necks, are what I feed my dogs on now,
The next door neighber thinks they smell lovely when I cook them for the dogs, she thinks of the old days of stuffed hearts and steak and kidny pie.
Needless to say she is an old Pom like the rest of us, from Chingford I think.
Still waiting to read something from my Brother Tony, but understand how he is feeling.
All the Best from Keith ( K9 )
My name is Keith Allen but I use ( K9 ) as my nick name.
Regards Keith.

Bel

• View Profile
Memories
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 11:57:14 PM »
Do anyone remember "Hampton's Happy Hours" - was help in Valeswood Hall and run by a Mrs. Hampton and her daughter May. in the late 30's. A gettogether for the women on the Estate, used to organize outings to Southend etc.,(stopping for  a green goddess on the way) Bel

Bel

• View Profile
Memories
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 11:59:16 PM »
Oh dear, dont know what all those sizes were about and where they came from...weird.  Bel

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
Re: Memories
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 12:57:02 AM »
Quote from: Bel
Oh dear, dont know what all those sizes were about and where they came from...weird.  Bel

Dunno either - have edited them out - might be some of the code that lets you change font size etc. not quite working properly...

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
more memories
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 09:36:08 AM »
I can remember the waiter service in the Tavern with the waiters wearing black bow ties and formal  dress, and the pretty "Nippy"s in the Tea rooms at the back My dad could have a Half and my mum a Cuppa , and I would get promised a thick ear if I didn't go away and play (Good job they were not aware of what we boys _and girls!- were playing on Durham Hill !) Ahh, but I had a very formal teen age. I would like to bump into some of them now. All respected Grandparents now , those who haven't moved on to the promised land, or emigrated . Trouble is the girls have changed their names now so they are difficult to trace,and if you bump into them recognition is difficult. I met a couple who gravitated to the new "Tavern" in the hope of finding something,or someone, familiar so I guess it's best to remember and not go back. I may go up to Matlock though, perhaps even bump into Billy DeVille an old mate                        Bye again, Dickie
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Dickie

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2003, 01:20:22 PM »
Do anyone remember "Hampton's Happy Hours" - was help in Valeswood Hall and run by a Mrs. Hampton and her daughter May. in the late 30's. A gettogether for the women on the Estate, used to organize outings to Southend etc.,(stopping for  a green goddess on the way) Bel
   Hi Bel Pet, I like the phrasing but with a sailors murky mind it takes me to the saturday/Sunday night dances they had at Valeswood during the war- COR ! ! - "Hamptons Happy Hours " sounds very very appropriate, (I'll come back later and apologise, honest ! )                           Dickie.............................

Bel

• View Profile
Memories
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2003, 03:09:40 PM »
:oops:  I did mean the housewives on the Estate, those upstanding women who got up early, did all the chores and spent a couple of hours enjoying themselves before going home to feed the kids and look after their men. I hope I have put that right Dickie, but  as you know I do have the knack of saying the wrong thing. Does anybody remember the dances held over Chiesmans in the early 50s? four bob to get in and you had to get the tickets in the morning as they sold out early. Superior to New Cross Palais where Al Tallock and his band played and a better class of talent to look over?..Bel

Dickie E.

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2003, 08:29:49 PM »
:oops:  I did mean the housewives on the Estate, those upstanding women who got up early, did all the chores and spent a couple of hours enjoying themselves before going home to feed the kids and look after their men. I hope I have put that right Dickie, but  as you know I do have the knack of saying the wrong thing. Does anybody remember the dances held over Chiesmans in the early 50s? four bob to get in and you had to get the tickets in the morning as they sold out early. Superior to New Cross Palais where Al Tallock and his band played and a better class of talent to look over?..Bel
Hi Bella, Rodger, Just my Murky mind Hun. I never made Chiesmans, just roughed it at "Artillery House" , The Bal Tabarin , The "Bell" at Bromley , The "King Alfred, "Regal Beckenham , Porcupine" Mottingham , I seem to have missed you on the way round. Then I met and married a 3O wren at Greenwich College and by the 50's I was in Korea as part of a Helicopter crew and my son Richard had arrived so life was getting serious. it's easing up a bit now ! !     Bye now Dickie E....................

Bel

• View Profile
A bit more Memory lane
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2003, 05:59:11 PM »
Seeing several kids hanging around, obviously playing hooky, reminded me of my school days and the dreaded "School Board Man". He appeared about 6!10" to me at the time, with a long beige mac  a trilby hat and an imposing figure. One day off from school and he would come knocking at the door demanding to know why your werent at school, I still tremble at the thought of him :  :cry: .. \best wishes to all Bel