Author Topic: Shops 'n' stuff  (Read 10108 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Shops 'n' stuff
« on: August 19, 2003, 12:32:40 AM »
You're right Graham, Dickie is a wealth of information. Grooms the Baker.  Now, I don't remember the van but I do remember the name.  Was the bakers shop "up the top" Grooms?  Does anyone remember the grocers down the post office end?  I am talking about before it was sold to one of those chain grocery stores (and I can't remember the name of it - sold lovely faggots though).  The proprietor was a very old lady, or so she seemed to me but perhaps that's because I was so young. The shop was dark and dingy and I was a little scared of going in there.  And does anyone remember the corner shop on the other side of the road, near the alley that leads into Ivorydown.  I remember when it was a sort of workman's cafe.  What replaced it?
Brenda

Anonymous

Shops 'n' stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 04:43:43 PM »
I dont remember the shops at that end of Downham, but I do remember the shops at the end near the changeover.  Kidwells where I used to buy my Dandy comic, Hills where my Dad bought me my first scooter. Greens the grocer with the big container of dried peas and big pats of butter. The Co-op where we were registered during the war, and Mr. Skinner the dreaded dentist . There was also a shop which my mother used to refer to as "the in and out shop", I guess because you went in one way and came out the other. Used to pay off of bedding, carpets , etc.,Regards Bel :)

Anonymous

Re: Shops 'n' stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 10:10:35 AM »
Quote from: Brenda
You're right Graham, Dickie is a wealth of information. Grooms the Baker.  Now, I don't remember the van but I do remember the name.  Was the bakers shop "up the top" Grooms?   And does anyone remember the corner shop on the other side of the road, near the alley that leads into Ivorydown.  I remember when it was a sort of workman's cafe.  What replaced it?
Brenda[/quote)           "Grooms" was strictly a Horse & Van delivery and sales of bread, milk,biscuits, cakes etc. originally from Belvedere Depot and then Glory be they got a sub-depot in Bromlet at the top of London Rd. The shop on the corner was first a Hardware shop called "All Needs" then just after the war started it became "Snooky's Snack Bar " Okay Plum ?          Dickie.................

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2003, 12:15:14 AM »
The shop on the corner was first a Hardware shop called "All Needs" then just after the war started it became "Snooky's Snack Bar " Okay Plum ?          Dickie.................[/quote][/quote]
Thank you Dickie,

I remember Allneeds very well.  In fact, for many years, I thought to the fellows that ran it were the Misters Allneeds! Just shows you what my little brain was like, doesn't it?
I loved the smell in that shop.  I think the shop was still in business when I left Downham although without the original owners I presume.  
Now then Dickie, I need help again.  Another shop this time - the Catford Cop Shop. I've just seen a documentary featuring the Catford Police Station.   And I can't remember it!  I remember the "new" one  in the Bellingham area, and I remember the one at Ladywell.  But where was the big red brick Catford Police Sation.  Somebody help me please!
Brenda

Graham

• View Profile
    • Email
Catford Police Station
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2003, 11:20:01 PM »
Hello Brenda.

I lived in Catford and I do not recall a Police Station in Catford for a very good reason!!!!

As a very small boy I use to visit a toy shop in Rushey Green to look at all the fascinating toys on display in and outside the shop. One day I was standing next to a big kid whom I did not know. Suddenly! he took something from the stall and walked away. I walked away too because I did not want to get into trouble. The shopkeeper thought we had both stolen a toy. I tried to explain that I was not with him and did not know the big boy. It did not make any difference to the owner as he took us back to the shop and telephoned the police.

The 'Black Maria' to us both to Ladywell Police Station and not to Catford Police Station. When my parents arrived I was shaking in my boots.  The boy owned up to his crime and said I was not with him then I was taken home by my parents. It was a scary event for an eight year old boy and the only 'Nick' I have ever been inside.

I do remember a Police Station across the road from 'Peter Pan's Pool' and the Territorial Army Building when I went on the motor boats. Perhaps that was the Catford Police Station?.......Graham.
Graham A

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
Shops 'n' stuff
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 01:57:51 PM »
There was a Catford police station it was between Peter Pans Pool and Catford on the right hand side heading towards Catford I remember it well for all the wrong reasons, it was there for sure around 1955-60. Also the bike shop in Bromley Road near the bus stop for the 147 to Bromley where I brought my first push bike. The dentist Skinners put me off for life I still think of that place when I have to go to the dentist.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 01:59:01 PM »
Quote from: Brenda
Does anyone remember the grocers down the post office end?   Brenda my love, I can only think of "Gunners".Over the road on the Launcelot Rd. end was the "Maypole. a couple of shops down was "Pearks" , a bit further down was the gent's Hairdressers called "Witty's",old man Witty was a lovely old man with silvery grey wavy hair and a matching Moustachio,his son Mathew wasted the money (and profits)on dogs at Catford, and the Gee-Gees. in desperation poor  Mr. Witty cut his throat in as a suicide ,a complete waste of a nice person because of a useles bum of a son.  ............Dickie
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Shops 'n' stuff
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 02:06:50 PM »
Quote from: hutchsky
There was a Catford police station it was between Peter Pans Pool and Catford on the right hand side heading towards Catford I remember it well for all the wrong reasons, it was there for sure around 1955-60.
Hutch mate that was the Bellingham Police Station notorious for the young policeman who on finding a Torch on the counter,switched it on  ---BANG !--- it was a bomb. Conisborough Crescent ran round the back, co -incidentley there was a fervent IRA supporter living in Conisborough Crescent the adopted son of a Catholic couple with no children of their own.  ..Dickie
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
Catford Police station
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2003, 02:35:19 PM »
Keith I think Bellingham could be right for some reason I new it as Catford Police Station I was down your way last weekend went to the Ballingup medievil show and hit a Roo in Port Kennedy Drive about  5 ks from home some $6000.00 damage to the Jackeroo now in the panel shop.You will have to give me your contact Number We are always down your way Australin Caravan park is a regular visit for the warmer weekends.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
Catford Police station
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2003, 02:40:21 PM »
Sorry Dickie for some reason I thought I was replying to Keith in Bunbury WA

Anonymous

Re: Catford Police Station
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2003, 07:05:50 PM »
Quote from: Graham
Hello Brenda.
I do remember a Police Station across the road from 'Peter Pan's Pool' and the Territorial Army Building when I went on the motor boats. Perhaps that was the Catford Police Station?.......Graham.[/quote             The "Territorial Army Barracks" Graham was a little further down than the "New" Police station and was called "Artillery House"they had some rattling good Hops there on Saturday nights and it was a focal point almost al the way through the war. I often went there because they had a Bar, and it was a good meeting place for most of Downham youth in the 1940's onwards. I have an idea the Catford nick was round near the Dog stadium over Catford bridge  Incidently the little School opposite Peter Pan's Pool used to have H.G. Wells as a student      .Dickie.........

royf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 07:20:59 PM »
Catford police station is in Bromley Rd up from the old site of Peter Pans pool going towards Catford next to Napier House the terriers training place

billbaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 10:46:39 AM »
I worked for several years at the garage lower down on the other side of Bromley Road (in front of the Bellingham Swimming Baths), the garage was originally 'Kingslands' and later bought by 'Kennings Car Mart Ltd.' we motor mechanics were sometimes asked to make up the numbers in identification parades at Catford Police Station.
Bill.