Author Topic: Thames Gateway Bridge - Does it effect Downham?  (Read 4843 times)

yohanna

• View Profile
    • Email
Thames Gateway Bridge - Does it effect Downham?
« on: April 22, 2005, 06:31:00 PM »
Hello Everyone :D
my name is Yohanna and I'm very pleased to find your discussion forum.  I don't live in the area but hope to buy my first home there and live among you and the lovely greenspaces in one of the houses that impress me because of their generous size (compared to newly built ones) and their solid construction.  

I admit that I belong to the 'not in my back yard'  brigade when it comes to roads and traffic (I don't drive), so I'm worried to see that the proposed Thames Gateway Bridge linking the North Circular and the South Circular has been given planning permission by Greenwich Council last year.  My query:

How will this effect Downham?  Will the South Circular be widened north of Hither Green Cemetry?  Might it be re-routed through Whitefoot Lane which could be extended eastward accross the land to the south of the cemetry? :roll:  :?:
Does anybody know or have an opinion?  Please help.  Thank you very much.
Yohanna

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 01:32:20 PM »
:roll: Just wondered where you are living, as  when my mother first had a house on the estate, she used to refer to it as "the dolls  house". Although the houses are compact no way are they spacious compared with the new houses of today.  It seems incredible when I look back and think of how many children used to sleep in one bedroom. If you had a parlour you were lucky, but on the otherhand  you only had a very tiny kitchen. Although I loved living on the estate as a child, most of us moved away when able.  Bel

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 03:58:43 PM »
:lol: any way Yohanna (what a pretty name)  welcome, and I do indeed hope that you find the right property at the right price. I do not think that you need have any concern, as the bridge is being built in Thamesmead, but look at www.tfl.gov.uk for further info. Best wishes Bel

dickie eagle

estate houses
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 05:01:09 PM »
Quote from: Bel
:roll: Just wondered where you are living, as  when my mother first had a house on the estate, she used to refer to it as "the dolls  house". Although the houses are compact no way are they spacious compared with the new houses of today. If you had a parlour you were lucky, but on the otherhand  you only had a very tiny kitchen. , most of us moved away when able.  Bel
Hi Ms Edwards hope you are keeping well ( And big Sis ]  Those flats were compact too and we had two boys and a girl in one small bedroom. It was Hilarious whe my cousin Rose stayed with us, she slept with my sister  ( Aaaah ! ) The place in Holland comparitively was a Pediatric private hospital with six bed wards and ceilings of 18 feet , try painting them . the kids used to ride their bikes in the main room. One nice touch is that ALL the internal doors had locks on and the separating wall of the two main lounges is a meter deep and used to be a hideout during the german (little "g") occupation . I think we could have put our cosy flat into either lounge. Er! the "Vitterhuss" (White House) next door used to be the Gestapo Headquarters , we never had them on the old estate             Dickie.................................

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 10:32:29 PM »
:P Yes  Dickie big sis and I are both well.  Sis will be 80 this year, still goes swimming 3 times a week and walks the dog twice a day. Living in a town house  with two flights of stairs keeps us active . I hope you and your good lady are enjoying the spring weather. Best wishes  Bel

Anonymous

Re: Thames Gateway Bridge - Does it effect Downham?
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 11:09:18 PM »
Quote from: yohanna
Hello Everyone :D
my name is Yohanna and I'm very pleased to find your discussion forum.  I don't live in the area but hope to buy my first home there and live among you and the lovely greenspaces
Hallo Yohanna (yes Bel, it is a lovely name).  I hope you find what you are looking for on Downham.  If you have gone back and read some of the early entries, you will see that those of us brought up on Downham still regard it as home.  I hope you find what you are looking for.  I hope you will keep in touch on the forum and tell us how your search is going.
Brenda