Author Topic: Hi Tony  (Read 6557 times)

Anonymous

Hi Tony
« on: August 16, 2003, 06:07:19 PM »
Hello Tony, am I right in thinking that you are Keith's brother?  another ex Downhamite.  Anyway welcome. Lovely part of the country Matlock, my son lives near by in Dronfield and I used to ride pillion on his motor bike on a Sunday morning (the oldest biker in town) into Matlock. Regards Bel

tony

• View Profile
motor cycles
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 10:47:27 PM »
Hi Bel
I have at last decided to get active. Yes Keith is my Brother and I have visited him twice in Bunbury Australia. I may yet get to visit hime again.
I lived over Westminster Fire Station and used to ride my triumph speed twin combination back to Downham regualarly in the sixties. I rode this bike to Mosborough Derbyshire on the 3rd of December 1962. We had three frosty days and ice was an inch thick on most branches. The motorway ended then as you entered Derbyshire I servived by stuffing newspapers inside my protective clothing (PVC) and by stopping for soup at every opportunity. Hell of a ride it took me three days to thaw out. I fortunaely was one of the first to have a dome helmet with a full viser as well as a windscreen.
Must learn how to attach a photo.
All the best Tony

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Tony
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 02:11:05 PM »
G'day Tony, great to see you are on the best Forum, Bel is one of the first contacts I made through the internet from Downham, following is a copy of the first email I received from her.

Reply to my Lewisham Bulletin Board Notice Downham.
16th Feb 2001

Did you go to Rangefield Road School, I remember a Keith Allen in the class?   I remember the trams, in fact my father was a tram conductor on the 54 route. I now live in Catford, but my sister still lives in the house I was born in at Downham.  Regards.

Do you remember that Beryl?
Regards from Little Bruv Keith ( K9 )
My name is Keith Allen but I use ( K9 ) as my nick name.
Regards Keith.

Bel

• View Profile
Hi Tony
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 11:11:32 PM »
Oh Keith, I certainly do remember, you must have been in the same class as me in Rangefield Road School when we were in the juniors. It is funny how you remember the names of people  you met long ago, but not recently.  I remember my first day at school their, Miss Howard was the teacher and I sat next to Sylvia Court (wonder what happened to her). Best wishes Bel

Bel

• View Profile
Hi Tony
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 11:16:29 PM »
Would love to see a photo of your bike tony... we had a double adult side car on a BSA in the 60s.  Two adults and two kids in the side car, and me riding pillion, what a sight. Bel

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: motor cycles
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2003, 06:40:49 PM »
I have at last decided to get active. Yes Keith is my Brother and I have visited him twice in Bunbury Australia. I may yet get to visit hime again.
I lived over Westminster Fire Station and used to ride my triumph speed twin combination back to Downham regualarly in the sixties.
All the best Tony[/quote]                I was told Bunbury was a "One Horse" Town, I spent a week looking for the  elusive beast . Back to Motor cycles, I parked my old "Levis" in Catford High street between the stalls. Coming back I hopped on and kicked it over ,then lifted the gear lever up and out (It was mounted on the fuel tank !)  and started to reverse back when a bona-fide "Hossifer of the law" stopped me . He was plainly distressed and asked what I was doing , I showed him the gear lever and told him a "Levis" was designed for chair work and he nicked me as a motor cycle licence does not permit reversing. That cost me 10/- in Bromley court .        Dickie..................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Dickie Eagle

Re: Hi Tony
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2003, 11:09:05 AM »
Quote from: Anonymous
Hello Tony, am I right in thinking that you are Keith's brother?  another ex Downhamite.  Anyway welcome. Lovely part of the country Matlock, my son lives near by in Dronfield and I used to ride pillion on his motor bike on a Sunday morning (the oldest biker in town) into Matlock. Regards Bel
 At this juncture we should all remove our caps and have a few moments of silence for Tony and all the other Two-wheeled exponents and enthusiasts, at the loss of all those lovely old machines in Solihull.They probably did have a "Levis" in that collection as I saw a lot of "Square Tankers" in the wreckage ,includind the "Wilkinson (Fitted with a steering wheel instead of handle bars ) maybe some can be salvaged . Otherwise Good Morning on yet another bright and promising day from Windsor, enjoy,  Dickie E...........