Welcome Guest, please login or register.
Username:
Password:

News: If you would like to register for the forum, please drop an email to mike@downhamonline.org.uk asking to be added to the forum, and you'll get details by email.
(We have had a load of junk registrations, so while it's a bit of a pain for you, it helps sort out the real people from the robots and spammers - thanks!)
Pages: [1]
Read
February 29, 2004, 08:41:49 PM
Bren

Alright all you wonderful Downhamites past and present - who knows anything about vinegar leaves?  My sister and I (and lots of other children) used to chew them for the acidic flavour.  They were found along the greeneries at the lower end of Shroffold Rd and some along Capstone Rd by the flat (opposite the walk-through to Moorside Rd.  They were - sort of - holly shaped but very thin and a light brown colour.
How did we know they weren't poisonous?
Brenda

Read
March 03, 2004, 10:16:04 AM
Dickie eagle

Quote from: Bren
Alright all you wonderful Downhamites past and present - who knows anything about vinegar leaves?  My sister and I (and lots of other children) used to chew them for the acidic flavour.  They were found along the greeneries at the lower end of Shroffold Rd and some along Capstone Rd by the flat (opposite the walk-through to Moorside Rd.  They were - sort of - holly shaped but very thin and a light brown colour.
How did we know they weren't poisonous? Brenda
The flats on Downham all had great fronts wth colourful bushes which the council tended . No privets to push the girls over but happily lots of bushes. Those Brenda mentions (not poisonous???) were a bit acrid and when crushed in a jam jar would put insects to sleep PERMANENTLY .My chum Joe Muddle and his five gorgeous sisters lived in those flats,and I spent a lot of time there. Our Flats in Tristram backed on to them and were identical.  'bye  ,  Dickie............

Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Read
March 04, 2004, 09:21:34 PM
Anonymous

The flats on Downham all had great fronts wth colourful bushes which the council tended . No privets to push the girls over but happily lots of bushes. Those Brenda mentions (not poisonous???) were a bit acrid and when crushed in a jam jar would put insects to sleep PERMANENTLY .

Dickie, you are a gem!   Yes, the flats had wonderful shrubberies in front of them, I loved them.  I am delighted that you remember the vinegar leaves.  Indeed, some were more acrid than others - if I remember rightly, it depended on the depth of colour.  Having discovered they were yesteryears equivalent of fly spray, I am wondering what they might have done to my nervous system!  Well, well, well.

Brenda

Read
April 02, 2004, 09:59:10 PM
DickieEagle

The flats on Downham all had great fronts wth colourful bushes . No privets to push the girls over but happily lots of bushes. Those Brenda mentions (not poisonous???not much !) were a bit acrid and when crushed in a jam jar would put insects to sleep PERMANENTLY .
Dickie, you are a gem!   Yes, the flats had wonderful shrubberies in front of them, I loved them.  I am delighted that you remember the vinegar leaves.  Brenda[/quote]                           On that same subject the old "Splendid" used to have a collection of bushes in tubs outside the entrance, one bush was a type of Bay which  (I kid you not ) had a Wonderful smell, not a scent , but a SMELL of .......... Fried sausages ! ! !    makes my mouth water to think of it, 'bye , Dickie..........

Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Theme by webtechnica.net
Theme Made by Raistlin